Chapala.com Webboard

Icapali Chairs(Spelling?)

Can anyone tell me where I might buy 6 Acapali chairs, the ones that are used in most of the bars and restaurants. Used or new. Or, where I could have them re-upholstered? I know there is that place on the Carratera on the west side of Ajijic. If I had to buy them, I would prefer used. Thanks.

Equipale. There is a second hand store on the south (Lake) side of the hwy going west a bit past Villa Nova. It is a one-story place with a big parking area and lots of furniture outside. They often have a used set, usually 4 chairs and a table. As to reupholstering, I think the cost is in the leather, so I am not sure that would save you much money. Possibly the place that makes these sets (see earlier post) would also reupholster.

There is a place on the Ajijic side of the Guad highway in the vicinity of Soriana. The chairs look super comfortable, as in very well padded. It's likely to be cheaper than anyplace you find in Ajijic. Might be worth checking out.

"There is a place on the Ajijic side of the Guad highway in the vicinity of Soriana. The chairs look super comfortable, as in very well padded. It's likely to be cheaper than anyplace you find in Ajijic. Might be worth checking out."

This is the guy you want to use as your yardstick. His work - his chairs - are excellent. Price is fair and bargainable. My guess is that you will check out the others and then buy from him.
I just went through this exercise - and I bought from him.
To find him, you need to turn left and cross the highway at the last opportunity before Soriana. There is no light there, but there is a left turn lane. When you get across, turn right on the service road and drive maybe a block. You will see equipale chairs sitting out in front of a house on the service road. That's him.

I've always understood that it is equipal (plural equipales) rather than equipale (same plural), though I can't cite any definitive source. Maybe both spelling are correct (?) given that it derives from Nahuatl?

See above: "Stress on the 'pah': eh-kee-PAH-leys."

We had the guy in Chapala discussed above make us two sets (8 chairs and 2 tables). We went to his house across from Soriana and examined his work and viewed a photo album of the many styles available..Placed our order and gave him a deposit of 50% with a receipt...two weeks later they were ready and delivered to our house. Just what we ordered and good quality. Nice guy and family. He does sell at the Wed.Ajijic market, he is located on the highway with a few examples. He is the best locally without heading 40 milesWest to the equipale village (name escapes me now) that is the motherland of equipal.

The fellow across from Soriana reuped one of our chairs for $350 pesos and a new one would have been only $450. EXcellent work and done in 4 days. This is the type you are looking for. We sit on them comforably every day.

I've always understood that it is equipal (plural equipales) rather than equipale (plural equipales), though I can't cite any definitive source. Maybe both spelling are correct (?) given that it derives from Nahuatl?

[edited to avoid ambiguity]

One equipal,plural equipales,just like tamal and tamales.

Word of warning- although they look beautiful when new, do not get the equipales that are upholstered with the Mexican cotton striped fabric- the fabric is not color-fast and fades very quickly, even when only exposed to ambient light.

Pronuciation lesson:

Singular: equiPAL

Plural: equiPALes

Also:

Singular: HuiPIL

Plural: HuiPILes

Singular: JOven

JOvenes

More proper prounciations:

JOcotePEC

TePEhua

ChaPAla ("ch" like "cheese" - not "Shapala" like "champagne" - there is no "sh" sound in Spanish except for babytalk)

"Tamale" may be the gringification, in Spanish it is still "one tamal, two tamales"...

So would hamburguesa be considered a Mexification of hamburger?

Archived