Chapala.com Webboard

International Healthinsurance

gina

I am wondering if anyone besides Rolly has done any research on International health insurance for people living in Chapala /Ajijic.

I would like to have a chance to inquire and compare several companies at the same time.

A broker could possibly do that, but Denise from Intercasa told me, there is none for health insurances. Is there anyone who has an idea how to shortcut the process. In English please!

I think you would have to do the homework yourself, by getting quotations and sample policies from several agents/underwriters, and compare the results as they apply to your age, condition and needs. Yes, you might have to do some translation too.

I am wondering if anyone besides Rolly has done any research on International health insurance for people living in Chapala /Ajijic.

I would like to have a chance to inquire and compare several companies at the same time.

A broker could possibly do that, but Denise from Intercasa told me, there is none for health insurances. Is there anyone who has an idea how to shortcut the process. In English please!

sent you a pm

boomers in paradise group insurance, best doctors health insurance,

good all around the world.

$5000 deductible

So if you are under 75 years of age and a member of Boomers-in-Paradise (only $48/year) you have access to our amazing group insurance plan for only $1125USD/year AND all the members’ discounts!

From its web page...so what do you do if over 75?

boomers in paradise group insurance, best doctors health insurance,

good all around the world.

$5000 deductible

Boomers looks great but I don't understand how they bring in enough money to pay out for catastrophic care. Does anyone have experience with their coverage?

Look Best Doctor is high deductible policy and not expected to fix your tennis elbow. You must set aside money to cover the things the policy won't cover. Understand it is not normal NOB insurance. What do you expect for $100USD/MO? Its a good deal but you must augment it with some cash for the things it doesn't cover and deductables. We use Valarie and are very happy with her. A regular US NOB policy costs $500 to $1000 per month with 1500USD out of pocket limit per year. Can't compare the two policies as they are very different in what they cover. I have normal Mexican health insurance from my employer and my wife has Best Doctors from Valarie. Both plans work well for us but both plans are very different.

To me, tennis elbow is not catastrophic. According to their website, Boomers covers cancer treatment--to me that's catastrophic. According to their website they have grown to 200+ members. How do they collect enough money to cover cancer treatment? 200 members is not very many. $1,125 X 200 won't cover much surgery or chemo.

The problem with group policies is that if everyone is about the same age, then all of sudden at a certain age all the claims come in. Isn't this what happened at the Lake Chapala Society - the insurance underwriter paniced when they saw the average ages of policy holders so they pulled the group policy and only offered individual policies. A lot of people in their seventies were landlocked - too old to find another insurer. Only group to join is extremely healthy 30 somethings who decided not to have children.

Archived