Chapala.com Webboard

how to verify abogado?

lakeside101

There are two sites of interest, one is the State Professions Office for Jalisco here

https://serviciossgg.jalisco.gob.mx/profesionesweb/wbfconsultaprofesionista.aspx

This site has the best search engine as you can enter a partial name, for example just enter Spencer and you can see my law license as nobody else in the state who has my name has a professional state license.

The other site is the federal site but this site requires you enter both first name, middle name as well as both last names (or in my case just my paternal last name) exactly as they appear on the federal cedula or the federal cedula number, the site is at

http://www.cedulaprofesional.sep.gob.mx/cedula/indexAvanzada.action

Test it by entering names or in my case my federal cedula number 7928026

To practice law an attorney needs either a federal or state cedula showing they are an abogado or licenciado en derecho. Many attorneys only have their federal cedula and that is why they might not show up in the Jalisco state database as their federal cedula is good all over the country (although there has been a drive recently to push for attorneys to get and use their state cedula and it is needed to register postgraduate courses with the state), a person would not be in the state database if they studied in another state. The aforementioned databases are for all professionals, lawyers, doctors, accountants, architects, engineers, etc.

There are many people who claim to be attorney and are not. Some are outright frauds and others never completed their studies or never did their community service or never paid off the final balance to the university or didn´t do their final test, among other reasons.

There are many people who claim to be attorney and are not. Some are outright frauds and others never completed their studies or never did their community service or never paid off the final balance to the university or didn´t do their final test, among other reasons.

So, is there a "watch dog" agency to protect the consumer? I probably know the answer to that. :(

I assume the same applies to doctors, dentists, etc.?

So, is there a "watch dog" agency to protect the consumer? I probably know the answer to that. :(

I assume the same applies to doctors, dentists, etc.?

Yeah, it's called "once you find out if the person has the required status, ASK FOR REFERENCES and CHECK THEM OUT."

A little self-protection goes a LONG way.......

PROFECO doesn´t apply to attorneys although there is a public arbitration agency for doctor service complaints called CONAMED.

Archived