Chapala.com Webboard

Help - new hp cartridge

After buying a new hp #56 cartridge and after following the proper steps to test it, it keeps on printing the same test sheet every time I open my printer. It does at least 6 pages if I'm lucky. Then I redo the test and it settles or does not settle. It's the worst I ever had. The last two did it too, but shortly and it was okay.

I really don't know what to do. Please help me to find out how to adjust this.

Have you tried turning it off for a few minutes and then turning it back on? Or unplugging it?

I turned it off repeatedly while trying to get it working properly, and it was off for 24 hours, twice. I never unplugged it though. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out because I got it working today (again) after this test sheet printed at least six times. It's weird, isn't it?

Thanks for your suggestion.

This is an alignment sheet. It will continue to print until you scan it once. If it does not, the printer driver may have to be uninstalled (completely, using a special tool found on the HP website) and then reinstalled.

Since HP started shipping out its software contracts, it has all gone to heck.

EDIT: I see Ginger's link above says pretty much the same thing.

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. After trying what you all suggested, I SUCCEEDED.

I just realized that instead of scanning, (like the test page is now showing, which is not so clear) I was printing. They must have changed their way lately because I could swear that I had always printed before and never scanned. Like Computer Guy mentioned "Since HP started shipping out its software contracts, it has all gone to heck." Probably because most of us did not realize the change.

I should have looked closer at their instructions and not assume that it was the same as I used to do for years.

With all those tests, I will need a new cartridge soon. :angry:

Thanks again. This forum is so helpful. I knew you would help.

lcscats, while I appreciate your background in the printing industry, I have to say after having dozens of HP printers screw up the alignment process, following the instructions doesn't work for a lot of people.

Even worse when it comes to HP AllInOne printers... a good 30% of them eventually refuse to scan from the computer, allowing scanning only from the printer itself. And the message is "your device is not connected". Meanwhile, the user has no problem printing. And, invoking Windows' built-in scan function, usually works just fine. Even completely uninstalling the printer software, using HP's available repair tools, and then reinstalling, generally does not work. Reinstalling Windows or getting a new printer ends up being the only thing that does.

And two weeks ago, I had a customer on whose laptop I reinstalled Windows 7 on a clean hard drive, and the scanning software from HP refused to work from the get-go... until several days later, while installing a screensaver program, a window popped up asking if it was okay to go ahead and "install the printer"... at which point, the scanner started working. There is no rhyme or reason behind any of this. One can only assume that with the continual belt-tightening and swapping around of executives, HP is not the great printer company it once was.

Thank you Computer Guy. Yes, I have psc 1315 all-in-one.

I used to take the test sheet, make one copy, and that was it. The last two times, the test sheet came out while I was trying to print something else. I had to turn off my computer a couple of times and turn the printer on and off many times. This time it did not work, because they switched from printing to scanning without me noticing the change, assuming it was the same procedure. Partly my fault, I guess. Why don't they write it instead of just showing the image, which is not clear?. Answer: probably hoping most people will make the same mistake. This time, it was so bad that I decided to ask for help. After a few recommendations, I scanned from the computer with no luck. Then I scanned directly from the printer and it worked.

I guess I was lucky to succeed after probably spending have my ink. :D :D I smile now, but two days ago I was like this :angry: ready to throw the darn thing in the garbage.

Well as I have said many times don't buy the cheap printers or all in ones. I don't buy em and I don't have problems. Doesn't matter the brand. People want cheap and get

cheap. PSC 1315 is an example of an inexpensive unit. Avoid the bottom end. I have an officejet all in one printer that cost $350 dollars 5 years ago and works perfectly for less cost for materials than a color laserjet. My five year old $900 AIO computer works perfectly fine after this time. Yes HP low end products suck these days just like all the other low end products. I avoid cheap HP printers or AIO and buy the officejet units which are better made and have more features including software that works unlike the cheap HP ones. This is nothing new. Avoid the bottom end. I buy what corporations buy believe me they don't buy the cheap units they know better. I don't mean to upset people but this situation is getting ridiculous for both customer and manufacturer. Customer for expecting quality for no money and the manufacturers for giving the customer the crap he asks for. It frustrates the dickens out of me. If you pay 100/150 USD for an All in one printer scanner do you really expect much support to be available at this price? Are you really surprised at the cost of ink if you don't pay anything meaningful for the printer or AIO? You pay for quality and you pay for lower cost of printing.

It is the new marketing model for everything these days. Want to buy a service contract for your printer?? They make more money off support contracts and ink than the money from selling a printer. I am sorry to hear of the decline of HP drivers and software. Am I surprised? Well not really.

Hey, we cannot blame the customer for companies spewing out cheap product and then pitching it as the best. And a lot of people, not just here, shop at WalMarts and other places where the lower-end is on display. If you're going to make crap, give us a reason to buy the better stuff. There is nothing in all their advertising that delineates why I should spend more on a printer that doesn't seem to have anything different to offer than the cheap model.

Furthermore, HP used to have a rep in the industry that their printers were definitely the best. I was a "value-added reseller" for them from the time of the first DeskJet". These things were made to last. Not anymore. And how is anyone supposed to differentiate? No, we can't blame the average joe/josephine. No way.

And let's be blunt: HP started farming out their software work some years back, and it has sucked big-time ever since. So let's not confuse the hardware with the software. The OP's printer is working just fine. The software is the problem. And why should it work better on more expensive printers? It shouldn't.

Because the software for officejets is made for offices and sharing the printer. Completely different software than the PSC or Pavillion printers that we are talking about. I am not saying shame on the customer but some common sense should tell you that a 100USD AIO is a piece of junk. Seen the laser printer that Costco was

selling in Guad for less than $100USD? Just looking at it showed me the plastic was thin and it would break within a month. Customers demanded cheap printers so that is what is sold at WallyWorld. Doesn't the consumer have some responsibility? Everything sold by HP at WallyWorld is all the bottom of the line stuff. The hardware is cheap and the software is cheap. Remember I was a hardware engineer and I assure you much of the hardware sucks also. It is the nature of the beast nowadays. Is anybody willing to pay $300 for a quality AIO with low cost printing costs due to off axis ink, Dual sided printing, Two paper trays, etc etc etc. The answer is very few people. But hey cheap sells and HP has the numbers of units sold that prove this point. HP was the last in US to make stuff there. Last to support stuff in US. The customer has spoken and his decisions makes for throwaway software and hardware which is a very sad state of affairs in my opinion. The HP name is not what it use to be I agree but Consumers are involved in this for the short term thinking. Now for you folks who print out 10 pages a month who cares and it makes sense to use throwaway printers but I print a lot and prefer paper manuals so I need low cost printing to keep my per page costs down and my options are shorter and shorter as each year goes by.

No, you cannot blame consumers for any of this. They are fed what they get. No different than cable news channels that "inform" everyone's opinions... and who has time to read in-depth? The whole planet is populated with marketed goods, not just printers, and the vast majority of manufacturers treat us all the same. Unless and until we have safeguards in place for printers like we do for autos, this will continue.

Designing software for home printers should be that much easier than designing for offices... the lone differences are Administrator access and networking. Quality of programming is what counts, not the difficulty of the end task. And truly, if not, then why not take that same business software and strip it of the differences? I've seen designers latch onto Microsoft code libraries and bugger them, just to get their software to work more easily. That buggering easily backfires when it comes time to troubleshoot the same software.

Not to mention, the business hardware is marketed to business.

Meantime, I have an 85 dollar Samsung laser, purchased at Soriana, that just continues to work, day in, day out, and I use it for my book-design work, so you know it's seeing a lot of action.

You're kidding, right? I didn't disparage your opinion. Don't be so sensitive, my friend.

I spent 20 years in enterprise software and hardware development. That came after 10 years in engineering for DND and 10 running a commercial recording studio. So I'm not poking you.

And if "a good consumer takes care of themselves", why is consumer credit default one of the biggest problems in the U.S. and Canada today? That's idealistic. A good consumer should take care of him/herself", maybe even could, but not the majority of them, not in today's world.

I appreciate your opinion, LSCCATS, as I agree that often cheap means trouble, but not in this case. My printer was bought in 2005 (9 years) and its performance has always been more than satisfactory. I use about one cartridge every 18 months and it's only with the last two cartridges that my problem with the alignment started. So, because the company changed the way to test it, and because I didn’t notice, it makes me part responsible for not paying attention. I blame the company for not being explicit enough, but not for making a bad product.

I was given a commercial laser in 2002 by the representative of Kyocera Mita in our area. I don’t know the price, but I'm sure it was not cheap. I used it a little over 7 months and needed toner. When I installed the cartridge, black powder came out of it and it might have been the reason. I called the store and was told that the toner for that printer was around $250. I was so shocked and explained that it did not make sense—$250 (Cdn $) for 7 months of use. Yep! Then I understood why our acquaintance had told me to call him if I needed a new cartridge. I never did and dumped the printer.

Yes, the HP cartridges are expensive here in Mexico ($385 pesos at Walmart) but at least I get 18 months of usage with it and, next time, I will remember how to align it.

Thanks ComputerGuy for speaking up for me.

Archived