Chapala.com Webboard

Correct pronunciation?

camillenparadise

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy that's tough. Perhaps mistakenly, I think of a junior as being male-specific, a son who by virtue of his wealthy family doesn't have to work for money, gets to do whatever he wants, etc. Fresa is gender neutral, and a fresa doesn't necessarily have to be from a super rich family, but they act and dress and speak a certain way and associate only with other fresas. Are fresas junior wannabes?

bmh, your expanded definition of a "junior" is consistent with what I've heard. Silver spoon nails it as far as my understanding goes. But I think "snob" is too limiting for fresa. (There are a lot of different kinds of "snobs", though I think a certain snobbishness is definitely a part of "fresa-ness". The best word I can come up with is poseur.)

I've also never heard "fresa" used in any way other than negative.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

It's my understanding that a junior is a young person,male or female,from a wealthy family.Many have the spoiled rich kid attitude but some do not.I think Travis'description of fresa is correct,they kind of remind me of Valley Girls.

bmh, your expanded definition of a "junior" is consistent with what I've heard. Silver spoon nails it as far as my understanding goes. But I think "snob" is too limiting for fresa. (There are a lot of different kinds of "snobs", though I think a certain snobbishness is definitely a part of "fresa-ness". The best word I can come up with is poseur.)

I've also never heard "fresa" used in any way other than negative.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

A small majority of "Fresas/Juniors" here are the most inconsiderate, obnoxious, rude drivers, along with others but they seem to be about 50% of the nasty drivers. [women and men]. The terms are the same as I understand it and Juniors can be from an upper middle class family, not nesessarily a rich family, usually with a good university degree or still studying. Regional difference may apply as is the case sometimes. DF might have a different system than áreas of more nouveau riche, etc.. where I live.

In my experience all upper middle class and above do not socalize below that no matter how old they are. Exempt is their own extended family and families of their best friends. The Don and the Comparde to many, is "usually" taking things into consideration in the family and extended family without prejudice.

A small majority of "Fresas/Juniors" here are the most inconsiderate, obnoxious, rude drivers, along with others but they seem to be about 50% of the nasty drivers. [women and men]. The terms are the same as I understand it

I do not think that the terms fresa and junior are interchangeable.

I worked with juniors, George Sandeman, Sam Bronfman and a few others, and they would

call themselves" the lucky sperm club", they were not fresas by any stretch of imagination. Juniors can be fresas but just like anyone else . The terms are not interchangeable.

I asked my Spanish teacher today, and "junior" is definitely not limited to males, and can refer to any child who is dependent upon their parents for their economic well-being. An important thing to note about fresas is their obsession with premium brands and keeping up appearances.

Here's a kind of funny blog that talks about both juniors and fresas, for anyone interested. (In Spanish.)

http://memexico.tumblr.com/tagged/Juniors

Here's a kind of funny blog that talks about both juniors and fresas, for anyone interested. (In Spanish.)

http://memexico.tumblr.com/tagged/Juniors

Thanks for the link.There is a lot of seriously funny and sophisticated Mexican humor,especially of the political satire kind out there,another reason to make the effort to learn Spanish.

There is a lot of seriously funny and sophisticated Mexican humor,especially of the political satire kind out there,another reason to make the effort to learn Spanish.

No kidding. Seriously funny, and ruthless, especially when it comes to politicians.

Archived