Chapala.com Webboard

Driving a foreign plated car

deanne

Yes, as long as you notified Aduana (in writing) of your new or renewed Residente Temporal, including notifying Aduana of the expiration date of your Residente Temporal, so Aduana can change their records for your new expiration date on your Permiso de Importacion Temporal (TIP) for your car to match the expiration date on your INM permit.

Aduana gives you a letter for you to carry in the car, to show to police and militars at retenes, documenting the extension of your current (updated) expiration date on your car TIP. Do you have this letter?

I am residente permanente but my NAFTA car is, apparently, not eligible for nationalization or importation until November of this year (it is a 2009). My intention is to act on it as soon as the vehicle becomes eligible but in the meantime can I get a letter to explain my intentions? I am happy to oblige if only Mexico would give me the means to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I am residente permanente but my NAFTA car is, apparently, not eligible for nationalization or importation until November of this year (it is a 2009). My intention is to act on it as soon as the vehicle becomes eligible but in the meantime can I get a letter to explain my intentions? I am happy to oblige if only Mexico would give me the means to do so.

Contact Sonia. I think I read that she nationalized a 2009 vehicle recently but I can't swear to it.

SONIANGEL32 @hotmail.com
cell: 044-415-106-1499

Yes, as long as you notified Aduana (in writing) of your new or renewed Residente Temporal, including notifying Aduana of the expiration date of your Residente Temporal, so Aduana can change their records for your new expiration date on your Permiso de Importacion Temporal (TIP) for your car to match the expiration date on your INM permit.

Aduana gives you a letter for you to carry in the car, to show to police and militars at retenes, documenting the extension of your current (updated) expiration date on your car TIP. Do you have this letter?

YIKE. I don´t have that. At one point, I did send a notice in, but never heard back, so either they never got it or something happened somewhere. So, I suppose I´ve been lucky these last few years driving without that update. Time to get mexican plates anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

You know this board divides into two completely different Mexicos. One is dystopic vision of petty bureaucracy, like a Soviet era Eastern Europe country, where everyone dreads the phrase "Zer ees an irregularity with your paperwork, please follow me". A world of apparatchiks, which collapsed under it's own weight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparatchik.

The other Mexico is a state of almost complete lawlessness - only one third of drivers in Jalisco have auto insurance (and who knows how many of them hold just enough to meet the legal minimum), less than 1 out of 4 are renewing their smog inspections, INM immigration in Jalisco has fired 70 people since last June for corruption, millions of foreign plated vehicle driven daily with impunity by Mexicans. Where everybody dreads the phrase, "I can save you the trouble of paying the fine downtown".

Archived