Chapala.com Webboard

Very Bad Car Rental Experience!

Sarita

Just finished dealing with Lakesides local car rental person and this, the 3rd time, will be the last! First, I'd emailed him from Canada back in the winter about renting and he never even responded, though I was a past client. After 3 attempts, he finally replied, but blew me off saying he was overbooked and wouldn't have anything. I changed my trip to come later, he still wouldn't commit to having a car for me, I was told I would have to take my chances there would be one.

When I arrived, he did have something, thankfully, a van that I was told not to let go below the half gas tank reading or it would die. Wonderful. Three days later he told me he had a better one for me, so I came into Ajijic and picked up a silver 'Platina'. The owner had already left the premises before I pulled out of the car wash onto the carretera and had it stall on me, right across the highway, trucks speeding towards me. Frightening! It died on the highway again later that afternoon, and several times when parked just wouldn't start. Piece of junk. Again, I had to beg for help, and finally got the 3rd rental car in less than one week, a '96 white Totota Corolla. It was fine, for a few days, until one day a back window wouldn't close so I had to cut short my errands as I had a load of purchases I couldn't leave in an unsecured car in public. I called and told him and he told me to bring it in for repairs, on my time (!) but I was down to my last few days here and very busy, I decided to just not open windows when hot. Then it started making loud, grinding noises. I was in my last couple of days of rental and just praying it would not kick off and leave me stranded somewhere.

Today, I surrended the vehicle and was presented with an outrageous bill of 5900p for 17 days, 5 of which was with broken down junkers that I had to return at my time & effort. When I called to inquire on the very high cost, and question the lack of discount for the 2nd week as advertised, I was told I was getting a break because the van (with the malfunctioning gas gauge) rents at $300/week and he was only charging me the same as for the Corolla at $220/week, WTF???

Then he told me it was my responsibility to report issues immediately, which I reminded him I did but really, three cars in one week? These vehicles are poorly maintained and a hazard. He claimed the Platina had no issues at all when I took possession so the stalling and not starting I had caused. SERIOUSLY?? The friggin thing didn't make it out of the parking lot before dying, he burned out of there so I couldn't return it to him! He finished his very defensive and well-practiced spiel by asking if I had been so terribly inconvenienced (actually YES) and that no discount was forthcoming. I paid my bill in full, but will never deal with that company again.

Buyer Beware when renting vehicles here!

Sarita,

I am sorry to hear about your car rental problems. It's the last thing you need, when coming Lakeside to relax and enjoy. This business should know, that Lakeside is small, and word of mouth, can make you or break you.

I hope that other people coming will heed your advice, about who they rent a car from.

Sorry, I intentionally left it out. I don't want trouble. I think there are enough clues for anyone who has been around here much. He is already trying to pin the blame for his junker cars problems on me. I am buying a car to keep here now so I never have to go through such a nightmare again. Sad, too, as I rented cars from him twice years ago with no problems, but these are the same cars, he now has 25 on the road, and apparently no time or concern for servicing them. You would think safety would be a primary concern, but perhaps not.

there are plenty of car rental companies next to the gld airport.... can someone drive by and post the names.... you can see the high end companies with the new vehicles and the economy rental companies also.

i dont understand why anyone would change their plans of travel just to pick up the rental lakeside...

the owner at lakeside should upgrade the vehicles and be more customer service oriented.....

i rented a 4 door volkswagen at mzt airport from a no name company for about 1 week with full insurance.... that was the cheapest rental car ever in mexico.... and it was a new car...

No offense, but it sounds like he couldn't supply what you really wanted. When he failed to answer your original message, that should have been your clue to go elsewhere.

I think I know who the OP is referring to and it is not a company but rather an individual. My understanding is that he has several older cars he rents out at lower rates than the rental companies, which is why people rent from him. I believe what the OP really wanted was a car that worked without leaving her in a dangerous or uncomfortable situation. That does not seem too much to ask, no matter whom one is renting from.

The individual that rented you these cars has a full stable of 26 junkers and is increasing this stable over time. He's not Mexican(but rather British) but is the Mexican version of Rent a Wreck SOB(south of the border). He also acts as a go between between used car buyers and the seller and gets a commission for each sale. I've also heard 1st hand experiences where the buyers have been less than overwhelmed with their vehicle purchase once the deal has been completed and they start driving it.

No offense, but it sounds like he couldn't supply what you really wanted. When he failed to answer your original message, that should have been your clue to go elsewhere.

All I wanted was a small car with automatic transmission, reliable. Is that too much to ask? I can appreciate that he was busy but if that is the case, he should hire more staff. With 25 cars on the road all season, at $600 month each that is $15,000!!! Since some rent at higher monthly rates, and some on the much steeper short term weekly rate, it is more likely he is pulling in about $20,000 each month. I've heard that the insurance coverage is also questionable (one friend who rented from him asked what happens if she was involved in an accident and he told her to say he is her uncle!!!). Honestly, is that good business practice? I would not want to be in an accident in Mexico with no insurance. And since the vehicles are a hazard to begin with, the chances of being in an accident are that much higher. A very risky situation. He needs to smarten up. Unfortunately, he pretty much has a monopoly on the rental car business Lakeside and there is little choice.

I suspect that I know who you are talking about. I have 3 snowbird friends who have each rented a car from this person and are very happy with the cars and service they received.

They are looking forward to dealing with him again next winter.

If you want to pay more than $650 USD a month or want a brand new car from one of the many car rental agencies at the airport - go for it!

Let's get down to the basics, here. I think we all know who we're talking about and what kind of shape those cars are in. We rented one once when our car was in the shop. It was when Japanese parts were taking forever to get here;like two and three months. We finally gave up; turned the car in and took the buses, walked, or stayed home. The rental wasn't that cheap, either. Very personable guy, but that's not enough. Cubans know you can keep a car running almost forever, but it takes constant maintenance, and that's what this car rental guy isn't doing enough of. You shouldn't need to be wondering if your rental vehicle is going to make it to Guad and back.

How much did it cost to rent that little Volkswagon at the airport?. By the week? By the month? Including some insurance? How new was it? We're expecting some guests soon, and would like to give them some good advice.

I rented from M too I had no problems. The car was fine, but cheap with no air conditioning. It was half the price of what I would have paid at the airport. It was about a year ago and it was just going to be used locally, no highway driving.

My question is: If you had poor service from the get go, why not just bail and go to the airport and pay for a new, reliable car? M rents some old crappy cars, cheap, and that is his business model. I am assuming that is who you are talking about.

I don't know, Sarita, but you have so many bad experiences with contractors, realtors etc. Maybe you just have really bad luck! I always feel lucky after reading one of your posts.

Some friends of mine priced a rental recently at $140 for the week, including insurance. All I know at the moment is that it was for a small car, and from some agency at the airport. (I convinced them to cancel the reservation, as most things were walkable & we had a car).

• 1 month later...

Archived