Chapala.com Webboard

Allergic Conjunctivitis Treatment: Jacaranda

mkshawn

A friend in Morelia went to her ophthalmologist about it. He prescribed a kind of Rx eye drops, which have helped her enormously with symptomatic relief.

I know your pain and discomfort...I have tried all the over the counter products without success BUT I have now been prescribed two different types of eye drops that do the trick.

#1 is "Crolom" 4%. Bausch&Lomb...Inexpensive +/- $15.00 US...Works the best..1 drop in each eye in the AM and I am good for the day..Downside is that when you put it in your eye it stings/burns for a minute or so but after the initial stinging all is well..Can be used more than once a day but I have not ever had to use it more than 2x in a day...Great stuff..

#2 Patanol 0.1%..Mfg.Alcon.. Very Expensive...$200.00 per bottle (5mL)..works well without the initial burn / stinging..Typically requires 2-3 applications in a day...Newest thing on the market..Both were prescribed by my Ophthalmologist...I prefer #1 due to its longevity... My medical coverage covers the entire cost of either here in the US...So price was not an issue..only ocular allergy relief.. Good luck. Tomas

Be aware that you don't need a RX for any of these here. It might be to your benefit to have a lab swab test your eye and then take the results to an Ophthalmologist. Conjunctivitus and Blepheritus can have many causes even if you suspect allergies as the culprit. Don't get tested at Maskaras.If a doctor prescribes ointment,run like the wind because he is not up on his pharmacology.

Be aware that you don't need a RX for any of these here. It might be to your benefit to have a lab swab test your eye and then take the results to an Ophthalmologist. Conjunctivitus and Blepheritus can have many causes even if you suspect allergies as the culprit. Don't get tested at Maskaras.If a doctor prescribes ointment,run like the wind because he is not up on his pharmacology.

Thanks for the input: Had this last year after an evening horse back ride along the waterfront. I have always had problems, but this was extreme, visited with the local Ophthalmologist whose diagnosis was Pink Eye. After 4 days of hell I went back & told him this is a severe allergic reaction. So a shot of Corticosteroids in the ### & heavy antihistamines. Success.

Do not want to go there again so am looking for a non vascular constrictor in an eye drop to relieve the unbearable ITCH, hence the Allergist is a requirement.

Background: And it is as painful as it looks

Allergic Conjunctivitis - Allergy Eye Information

Allergy eyes or allergic conjunctivitis is the irritation of the conjunctiva, or covering of the eyeball, as a reaction to an allergic substance to which one is sensitive. Allergic conjunctivitis, which is not contagious, causes one's eyes to become watery, red, swollen, itchy and often painful. This image015.jpgcondition, which is also known as allergy eyes, may either immediately impact a person, or affect them after a period of time.

There are two types of allergic conjunctivitis, seasonal and perennial. Seasonal allergic conjunctivitis affects people during specific seasonsof the year while perennial allergic conjunctivitis impacts people throughout the year. Allergic conjunctivitis can cause much discomfort due to the symptoms listed above. In addition, untreated allergic conjunctivitis may cause someone to frequently rub his/her eyes, which could lead to permanent eye damage.

A "good" Ophthalmologist should be able to help you. I have never heard a good one call it "pink eye". Actually I have never heard any Ophthalmologist or even an Optometrist use the term pinkeye in serious discussions.

Edit:Just saw your photo which also shows Blepheritus in the lower lid. Looks like that person did a lot of rubbing damage which may require something like Alcon Ciloxan which worked well for me. I have also used Sophixin when Ciloxan wasn't available.

A "good" Ophthalmologist should be able to help you. I have never heard a good one call it "pink eye". Actually I have never heard any Ophthalmologist or even an Optometrist use the term pinkeye in serious discussions.

Edit:Just saw your photo which also shows Blepheritus in the lower lid. Looks like that person did a lot of rubbing damage which may require something like Alcon Ciloxan which worked well for me. I have also used Sophixin when Ciloxan wasn't available.

Well that is why I am not going back. For me it is all about stopping / reducing the rubbing without tying my hands up. The irritation & pain is something else!

Tks for the info!

I have not purchased either of the eye drops listed in my post in Mexico but would guess they are available at local Pharma's. I know your situation as I feel that I will rub my eyes until they bleed if I don't use the eye drops...They are Magic..One drop in each eye with the Crolom and no issues for at least 24+ hours...Grezt stuff except for the initial burning..

Crolom 4% (cromolyn sodium eye drops) is probably the best non-steroidal allergy eye drop on the market. It's sold here under the name Alercrom and is carried by Farmacia Guadalajara for $69.

This tree allergy is like many others and I use a nasal spray, Flonase or the generic Fluticascone Propionate. The generic goes for about $650p around here, though I haven't checked with Costco. I get mine in the US for about $12.

I like Patanol. Have used it for 20 years - started in the US. Well worth the price for the Jacaranda allergies. It is specifically and antihistamine for the eyes and is supposed to be long lasting.

I understand Dr. Varga comes to the Ajijic clinic once a week and several friends really like him - opthamologist doctor.

Crolom 4% (cromolyn sodium eye drops) is probably the best non-steroidal allergy eye drop on the market. It's sold here under the name Alercrom and is carried by Farmacia Guadalajara for $69.

I' am always amazed that the majority of the people on this Forum do NOT seem to be able to read, hear, listen to any Professional Opinion!

In my case, I thank You and I will be on my way to a Farmacia GDL, to buy & find out if Crolom 4% helps me with my Eye Allergies, whether they

are caused from the Jacaranda trees, and or, from any other unknown source(s).

I thank you for taking the time & issuing free advice to some of us that appreciate it.

I like Patanol. Have used it for 20 years - started in the US. Well worth the price for the Jacaranda allergies. It is specifically and antihistamine for the eyes and is supposed to be long lasting.

I understand Dr. Varga comes to the Ajijic clinic once a week and several friends really like him - opthamologist doctor.

I am pretty sure that his last name is Vargas. I have used him in the past, and he is very good. OMHO.

• 8 months later...

Since my last writing on April ,2014 , I actually have been using your Crolom / Alercom suggestions and it is the Best Eye drop recommendation I have ever received.

Thanks so very much, T

Archived