Chapala.com Webboard

Where are the swallows?

So, some people have told me the swallows are back in their neighborhoods, but I live on Hidalgo in Centro Chapala, and they are usually swarming the power lines from early March. Haven't seen any at all, yet. I tend to think they are an absolute nuisance and make huge huge messes on the sidewalks, cars and balconies, but it seems strange they aren't back yet.

Are they back down here lakeside? Did I finally manage to scare them out of my neighborhood? (wishful thinking) Is this due to all the crazy weather up north?

Just curious.

I live one street over from you and they are here.

I'm in the Lourdes neighborhood above Farmacia Guadalajara in Chapala, and we have thousands.

So I *did* successfully scare them off?!

That is so weird, because they are usually all along Hidalgo from Aquiles Serdan to about Santander Bank.

So, some people have told me the swallows are back in their neighborhoods, but I live on Hidalgo in Centro Chapala, and they are usually swarming the power lines from early March. Haven't seen any at all, yet. I tend to think they are an absolute nuisance and make huge huge messes on the sidewalks, cars and balconies, but it seems strange they aren't back yet.

Are they back down here lakeside? Did I finally manage to scare them out of my neighborhood? (wishful thinking) Is this due to all the crazy weather up north?

Just curious.

Why would you want to scare them away when they eat their weight (or more) in mosquitos every day......?

They are have lots of nests under the eaves at our house and we are THRILLLED to have them back!

What's a litttle clean-up relative to itchy bites.... not to mention the risk of dengue.......

Why would you want to scare them away when they eat their weight (or more) in mosquitos every day......?

They are have lots of nests under the eaves at our house and we are THRILLLED to have them back!

What's a litttle clean-up relative to itchy bites.... not to mention the risk of dengue.......

With the amount that would hang out on my balcony, it was hardly a "little clean-up". I had to hire someone to clean it once a week - off the bars on my window, off the balcony, off the railings. I have a rather long balcony. Not to mention the mess they do to the cars that are parked below. Also, nothing like having hundreds of the right outside your bedroom window waking up at 4am making lots of noise.

I don't usually have a bad mosquito problem. I don't have any standing water, and when the rainy season starts, I burn mosquito coils on my balcony. I generally don't get bit by mosquitos either.

I'm more concerned by the diseases that can be in bird droppings.

I saw my first returning swallow about 2 weeks ago. It was a Sunday, so I could not get one of the gardeners to vasoline the possible perches (this works!) so I put a tiger kite with flapping streamers on the ironwork on the front door and that is worked! (The neighbors are no doubt convinced that I have gone around the bend!) The tiger face and the streamers have so far repelled them. Last year, I had them flying into the entryway, which has a tall ceiling, and every morning I would have to clean up bird poop in the entry. It gets a bit tedious! Eons ago, I was at San Juan Capistrano in the morning before the crowds arrived, and I noted how many workers were there cleaning up. Now I know why!

Archived