Chapala.com Webboard

Permanent resident card

ra27

INM officials made a sweep through Sayulita earlier this season, asking people to produce their residency or tourist visas. If they didn't have them with them, the officials accompanied them to their home or hotel to see the paperwork. If they didn't have them at all, or they were expired, there were repercussions, not the least of which was some folks being carted off to jail.

INM officials made a sweep through Sayulita earlier this season...

Seriously? Did this really happen or is it just something you heard?

If it did happen, those INM folks should head this way. I bet they'd fill up their dance card pretty quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

INM officials made a sweep through Sayulita earlier this season, asking people to produce their residency or tourist visas. If they didn't have them with them, the officials accompanied them to their home or hotel to see the paperwork. If they didn't have them at all, or they were expired, there were repercussions, not the least of which was some folks being carted off to jail.

Wow, it sounds like one little spot in Mexico is starting to do what the Canadian government and US government have done for decades: enforce clearly-stated laws by catching and punishing criminals who break well-publicized laws.

Seriously? Did this really happen or is it just something you heard?

If it did happen, those INM folks should head this way. I bet they'd fill up their dance card pretty quickly.

Yes, seriously. I have lived here for about 11 years and run a business here- I am not some retiree sitting home listening to rumors and sketchy internet forum reports or gossip. I do not report things I just heard. And yes, INM could fill their dance cards many times over if they did this all over the country.

Wow, it sounds like one little spot in Mexico is starting to do what the Canadian government and US government have done for decades: enforce clearly-stated laws by catching and punishing criminals who break well-publicized laws.

The U.S. and Canada are not after retired foreigners who have a stream of income but whose papers might have expired. They are after criminals and younger illegals who are working illegally. Very few foreigners in Mexico are working illegally and have no independent income. I doubt some retiree who didn't keep his INM status updated is causing Mexico any problems.

The U.S. and Canada are not after retired foreigners who have a stream of income but whose papers might have expired. They are after criminals and younger illegals who are working illegally. Very few foreigners in Mexico are working illegally and have no independent income. I doubt some retiree who didn't keep his INM status updated is causing Mexico any problems.

On what do you base your statements? There are MANY foreigners working illegally in Mexico who have no independent income.

On what do you base your statements? There are MANY foreigners working illegally in Mexico who have no independent income.

How do you know they are working illegally? Like other foreigners in Mexico they can get permission to work. I know some who work and do not have a pension or any income but they have a tax ID and are allowed to work and are legally here. The few who are illegal are not hurting Mexico or the economy.

The U.S. and Canada make the rounds looking for illegals who are taking low paying jobs that no one else wants.

The foreigners here who are working are almost always independent, selling a product like food and not taking a low paying job from a Mexican.

The few who are illegal are not hurting Mexico or the economy.

The foreigners here who are working are almost always independent, selling a product like food and not taking a low paying job from a Mexican.

Well, I know one gringa who's here on her 2nd consecutive tourist visa and is working.

How can that be?

Too many Mexicans are struggling as they can't find jobs so she's taking money out of the mouths of babes, literally.

I'm ashamed to say she's a Canadian and NO, she's not my friend.

Well, I know one gringa who's here on her 2nd consecutive tourist visa and is working.

How can that be?

Too many Mexicans are struggling as they can't find jobs so she's taking money out of the mouths of babes, literally.

I'm ashamed to say she's a Canadian and NO, she's not my friend.

Is she employed by someone or self employed? If she is self employed then she is not keeping a Mexican from competing with her and doing a better job. If she is one of the people at the markets selling some homemade goods, she is not preventing a Mexican from doing the same thing.

She can get a tax number and work. Ask Spencer. It costs about $2000 pesos and I think there are other tax ID types now that are less expensive.

How did this get so off track. Who cares about immigration documents in Canada or the U.S.? I still do not have an ansew to my question on this thread and on other poste. ARE YOU REQUIRED TO CARRY AROUND YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD (ORIGINAL OR COPY) WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE WALKING AROUND OR DRIVING IN THE STATE OF JALISCO? Simple question. Anyone have the answer?

You are in a foreign country. Of course you are supposed to carry your INM information with you, why wouldn't you?

Is she employed by someone or self employed? If she is self employed then she is not keeping a Mexican from competing with her and doing a better job. If she is one of the people at the markets selling some homemade goods, she is not preventing a Mexican from doing the same thing.

Last I was told, she is working at a local established business which I will not mention to keep them out of trouble; she is not producing and selling homemade goods which I could totally understand. Art is individual and so either the public likes your art and buys it or the opposite. This lady isn't doing such work. I hope she reads this and feels guilty but then again, perhaps she doesn't have morals.

Mexicans are actually hungry and could use such a job.

How do you know they are working illegally? Like other foreigners in Mexico they can get permission to work. I know some who work and do not have a pension or any income but they have a tax ID and are allowed to work and are legally here. The few who are illegal are not hurting Mexico or the economy.

The U.S. and Canada make the rounds looking for illegals who are taking low paying jobs that no one else wants.

I know because I know them and know they have no legal working papers. Don't need a lecture in immigration 101. There are many in my area, and I assume, perhaps falsely, that there are many in other areas. And as a foreigner with a small business here, who has always played by the rules, jumping through all the time-consuming and frustrating hoops to obtain and maintain legal working status, business license, hacienda payments, etc, I can say I do resent those who come down on tourist visas and proceed to offer yoga, bodywork, etc, for US prices, paying for their vacation, going home with money in their pockets, and not contributing their fair share to this country. If I had an ounce of snitch in my blood, I'd report them.

Archived