Chapala.com Webboard

Permanent resident card

ra27

We had ours notarized at the notary close to the immigration office in Chapala, in an orange building, on the mountain side of the Carretera.

Cost was 50 pesos each.

Wherever we have needed it since, we show the notarized copy without question.

Our advice from Spencer was do NOT carry the original. If you lose it replacing it could be very difficult. We have never had an issue showing our notarized copy. I have ours laminated and there has never been a question as to its authenticity.

Are you even legally required to carry your visa?

"Protect and guard [keep] the documentation to prove your identity and your situation;

Show documentation that proves your identity or your regular [completed and in order] immigration situation, when it is required by immigration authorities;"

"Resguardar y custodiar la documentacion que acredite su identidad y su situacion;

"Monstrar documentacion que la acredite su identidad o su situacion migratoria regular, cuando le sea requerida por las autoridades migratorias,"

This is one of the rules that is printed on the letter your INM card was taped to and you signed for and agreed to when receiving your visa at the INM office. It doesn´t mention a notarized B&W copy will be accepted by immigration officals.

You can use your own judgement when to follow the rules or not and see what happens in the case of you travelling around with or without any legal immigration card. IMO

I prefer to just follow the rules I agreed to in case of a problem one day, especially at an airport.

I've been told that the local authorities will accept a notarized copy here in the lakeside area, but have been warned that authorities outside of this area will probably not.

I carry my original. I would expect that if I was in the USA with a green card, that I better have that card on me, so why would I think it should be any different here, since essentially it is a green card.

I've been told that the local authorities will accept a notarized copy here in the lakeside area, but have been warned that authorities outside of this area will probably not.

I carry my original. I would expect that if I was in the USA with a green card, that I better have that card on me, so why would I think it should be any different here, since essentially it is a green card.

Well, if you were Canadian you might think it could be different from the US here. In Canada, you don't have to show the police your identification or tell them who you are. Canadian law doesn't even require you to carry your ID papers with you.

Immigration officials want to see the original so for traveling far away or crossing the border you will need to show the original. For running around town for many the risk of losing the document doesn´t outweigh the benefit to carrying it.

Well, if you were Canadian you might think it could be different from the US here. In Canada, you don't have to show the police your identification or tell them who you are. Canadian law doesn't even require you to carry your ID papers with you.

What about for immigrants? People who are not citizens but have the right to live there? That is what I meant. I have a few friends with green cards in the USA and they have to have their green card on them at all times. That's all I was trying to say. I was comparing the residente cards here with a green card in the USA. I don't know enough about Canada to comment on what they may have.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-life-id.asp

That might have changed.

What about for immigrants? People who are not citizens but have the right to live there? That is what I meant. I have a few friends with green cards in the USA and they have to have their green card on them at all times. That's all I was trying to say. I was comparing the residente cards here with a green card in the USA. I don't know enough about Canada to comment on what they may have.

In Canada Immigrants need to show proof of who they are. A copy of their immigration document and a photo ID is accepted in Canada, not nothing, as I suspected.

In Canada Immigrants need to show proof of who they are. A copy of their immigration document and a photo ID is accepted in Canada, not nothing, as I suspected.

Lived in Canada for 40 years, never been asked once for immigration document,

or photo i.d. I think you're getting confused with Arizona,

Lived in Canada for 40 years, never been asked once for immigration document,

or photo i.d. I think you're getting confused with Arizona,

I´m not confused. I read the Canadian Immigration website posted above.

Oh it must be me, I obviously couldn't have lived 40 years there,

and not been asked for I.D. we don't racial profile, like Mexico we can only

be asked for immigration papers, when we leave the country, and then like everyone else there

they want our passports, not our status.

Thanks for the link - the law could have changed in the last few years but there is nothing on the site you posted that leads me to believe that it has. What it says is that you might need ID for certain things (applying for services, writing a cheque, driver's license if you're driving etc.) and you should carry some with you. It doesn't specify what that ID has to be - in fact it specifically says: It is not necessary to carry your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form or your permanent resident card around with you. As far as I can tell, the law has not changed re having to show proof of your identity on demand.

From my own recent experience traveling outside mexico, Spencer is absolutely correct in above post. Immigration official at Guad. airport looked at my notarized copy of residente permanente and asked to see a copy of the original card; luckily i had a black and white copy with me. Thus--if you go on a trip outside mexico, always bring the original document with you.

be asked for immigration papers, when we leave the country, and then like everyone else there

I have to disagree with you that only passports are needed when in Mexico and leaving the country. Fact is I have been asked 5 times for my INM visa at 2 airports on the Mexican -US border in the last year in Mexico when going through arrivals to get my luggage at the TJ airport and the Mexicali airport. The INM officers were asking everyone entering baggage claim for IFE cards in Mexicali. They asked me for a "documento migratorio, por favor". The 3 INM officers asking all passengers when entering the baggage claim área at the TJ airport asked me to show them proof I was allowed to travel in Mexico.

What you state is only what you know, not what others have experienced.

I have to disagree with you that only passports are needed when in Mexico and leaving the country. Fact is I have been asked 5 times for my INM visa at 2 airports on the Mexican -US border in the last year in Mexico when going through arrivals to get my luggage at the TJ airport and the Mexicali airport. The INM officers were asking everyone entering baggage claim for IFE cards in Mexicali. They asked me for a "documento migratorio, por favor". The 3 INM officers asking all passengers when entering the baggage claim área at the TJ airport asked me to show them proof I was allowed to travel in Mexico.

What you state is only what you know, not what others have experienced.

What part don't you get, you are now talking about Mexico, we do Not need to show our immigr

ation papers in Canada, you are now on to USA and Mexico ,The world does not revolve round

US of A. we are not motivated by race in Canada.To say that I only know What I know, 40 years

not once q

What part don't you get, you are now talking about Mexico, we do Not need to show our immigr

ation papers in Canada, you are now on to USA and Mexico ,The world does not revolve round

US of A. we are not motivated by race in Canada.To say that I only know What I know, 40 years

not once q

Your posts don´t explain anything clearly.

You state "in Canada" they only ask for your immigration papers when you leave the country "like" Mexico and only want to see your passport. Who are "they"? Where is your passport from? Where are you tavelling to? What travel documents do you need to travel in the country you are going to?

This appears to me that you are saying Mexico does what you are explaining, confusingly, happens in Canada and never asks to see your immigration papers and I disagree.

Does Canada want to see any passport and your Canadian immigration papers arriving ? If you have a Canadian passport you are a citizen of Canada. If your passport is from another country they only want to see that and not your Canadian immigration papers?

Why would Canada want to see a passport and immigration papers when you are leaving Canada? Do you go through Canadian Immigration when taking an international flight out of the country or only at a border crossing?

I think if you read the Canadian website it does not say you must carry around identification. It says you SHOULD, not must. There is no requirement to carry around identification but the website explains what you will need to produce in order to apply for services etc.

You need to have your immigration documentation and foreign passport when trying to re-enter Canada after an absence.

It is true that the US tells you that you MUST carry around your Green Card while living in the States. I didn't, though. I started carrying a color copy which was not considered acceptable. Went back to Canada, once, without my Green Card and had to pay a hefty fine when I returned to the US. They did not have to let me back in so I did not argue.

I keep the original INM card in my wallet because I travel frequently and do not want to forget it. I have a copy I can take to get a replacement. I heard if you have a copy it makes it easier to get the replacement from INM, should you lose it.

Actually, Canada does heavy racial profiling. If you are white, you may not be aware of it. Natives - First Nations peoples - experience a lot of racism from some pretty vitriolic white Canadians and experience racial profiling by the Canadian government. My native family members from the US also get hassled in Canada. They find they have to carry their "papers".

As a likely Scot (Haggis...), know that the Scots and Scots-Canadians are treated very differently in Canada than First Nations natives.

By comparison, Mexicans love to identify people by their regions and their roots, but there is little of the hard edges that occur in Canada and the USA. I'm regularly identified as "aleman", and my wife's family is a great mix of negritos, Tenerifeños, Bascos, Criollos, et al.

Getting back to the original topic, I too have found that I must have my INM card when traveling, esp. when exiting and entering Mexico. When cashing checks, I have had banks require to see either my passport or INM card, so, I take it for banking business.

How did this get so off track. Who cares about immigration documents in Canada or the U.S.? I still do not have an ansew to my question on this thread and on other poste. ARE YOU REQUIRED TO CARRY AROUND YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD (ORIGINAL OR COPY) WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE WALKING AROUND OR DRIVING IN THE STATE OF JALISCO? Simple question. Anyone have the answer?

How did this get so off track. Who cares about immigration documents in Canada or the U.S.? I still do not have an ansew to my question on this thread and on other poste. ARE YOU REQUIRED TO CARRY AROUND YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD (ORIGINAL OR COPY) WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE WALKING AROUND OR DRIVING IN THE STATE OF JALISCO? Simple question. Anyone have the answer?

Yes, your original. Not a copy is required, as explained previously.

Archived