Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Directions to Nuevo Vallarta

Has anyone gone this way? Last year we went the northern route due west of Guadalajara.

I'm thinking this might be the new route but I was sure that it wasn't open yet.

Hoping someone else has tried this before we venture out on this new route.

maw

https://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http://maps.google.com/help/maps/directions/driving/mapleft.kml&f=d&dirflg=d

HI maw7815, I think what sparks was sort of saying is that your link to the google map doesn't work (and it doesn't). So, it depends on what you meant by it.

Currently as far as I know, like he said, there are only two worthwhile routes. The first through Guadalajara via the autopista westward past Tequila, etc., then connecting to Hwy 200 after you've passed Jala. Or the mountain route through Ameca/Mascota, which is scenic and without tolls ending by Home Depot Vallarta, but takes longer in my experience.

There is no new route. Frankly, I think it's all a myth (despite some ink in newspapers, etc.).

Thank you for all your comments- we will be leaving Sunday and returning the following Sunday. I am glad we don't have to go through Guad on a Sunday! I'll report back the following week.

maw

My 2 cents worth..... I have driven both routes, each way, several times. I think they both have their merits BUT I don't think either one is much 'faster or slower' than the other. One, it depends on the traffic and that is mostly not something that one can determine accurately before hand. Two, Google maps uses the 'posted' speed limits and not what one actually drives so it is often inaccurate, more so in Mexico than NOB as 'no-one' drives 80kmh on a toll road (and this is often posted) and rarely does one drive only 110kmh.

IMO, the 'direct' route is worthwhile to do at least once.... but don't make that during the rainy season as parts of that road may have major problems due to mudslides, etc. from Mascota on. I also agree that it probably cannot be made in 4 hours no matter how one drives. Although I like the route, it wears me out (compared to the toll route).

When taking the 'toll' route, and especially on a Sunday, one will not have to endure much traffic..... because one goes up the back/west route to Guad, not the 'airport' route. It's very easy and even easier on a Sunday. Of course one will, by definition, pay some tolls on the 'toll route'. If that is a factor then of course the non-toll route would be the route of choice.

The problem with 200 from Compostela south is it is narrow, windy and heavy traffic .... and lots of impatient drivers. One of the worst roads in Mexico

Living in PV, agreed!

Agree with RickS, we have done both as well and frankly we just prefer the toll road..the other way quite scenic, once, but seemed like a forever ride to us, though was same time frame. We have never found traffic problems in Guad when going to the coast on a Sunday. If it says 4 hours add at least an hour, if it says 5 hours add at least an hour..timeframes just never ever are correct here in mexico, traffic, road conditions etc. 4.5 hours more or less from NV to Guad with good flowing traffic...no accidents , the list goes on , we always allow a minimum of 5 hours and a max of 7...minus the half hour or so to PV.

Have a nice trip/time, we just came back beg. of March.

Archived