Chapala.com Webboard

Bancomer - peculiar policy ??

Arjay

We recently opened a new account with Bancomer. They said our cheques should be ready in about 3 days.

So we went in but they then asked for a copy of our Residente Temporale. Visited again with a copy and the teller said we'd have to pick them up from the person at the back who had opened the account for us, but he was busy.

Went in again and once again he was still busy and oddly no-one else could give us the cheques.

Went in for the 4th time only 3 weeks after we'd opened the account, and were told the cheques have been destroyed because we hadn't picked them up.

Well, now after that extraordinarily long period (not) they have to print new ones.

Can anyone explain this peculiar logic to me?

:017:

Have you considered asking for the bank manager and very politely explaining your situation? Tell the manager how much you were looking forward to doing business with the bank but because of its inability to provide you with checks you might have to cancel your account and go to another bank. All this should be done with great courtesy and expressions of regret, but with no mistake about your willingness to do it. Getting mad will probably be counterproductive, however frustrated you might be. For me, this approach has worked more often than it has not.

In the end, if they have no interest in doing business with you, why would you want to do business with them?

advice do not open a checking account or get ATM card in Mexico

ask your banker what the policy if someone gets a hold of one of your checks and ID

forges your signature write payable to El Portadpr something like ( to the bearer) that person can cash a check up 19,999 pesos without ID.

count your checks at the bank when you receive them to make sure they are all there.

someone recently had the next to last check in the book missing, the check was cashed out of order.

that person does not know when the check was taken out of the check book and was stolen

they are still fighting with the bank for the money

ask your banker about checks and ATM cards, different rules here than USA.

Check limit to al portador lowered to maximum 5,000 pesos but yes checks are problematic, Bancomer service has been going down, better than some banks but new fees and less common sense.

I have a Bancomer checking account with debit card. Ask nicely for a manager and or wait for the person who is busy. You get the preferred line being a foreigner so if they cannot satisfy you there are many banks around.

I use my checks once a year to pay my house trust. I do use my debit card.

Good luck. just saying..I do nto think you need to learn patience the bank needs to learn customer satisfaction.

When I opened my account in Chapala the Bancomer manager suggested I not get any checks and just use the debit card for cash and at stores with a charge machine....too many problems with writing checks exactly correctly and matching your signature exactly to what they have on file, so easily rejected, and not to mention the problem with them falling into the wrong hands in spite of the signature problem (that should theoretically protect you.) In 4 years here I have never needed a check for anything and it was a good suggestion as it was just one more NOB behavior to break myself out of. I built a house addition using cash or the debit card and never ran into a problem even when larger amounts were needed. If you run a business then checks are likely needed, but for retired folks, I think they're a liability to have lying around. With free online BillPay for the few US bills I have to pay by check, I don't even use the checks from my US account any more either.

Really good advice, phxfunguy. I built a house here and have lived here since 1999 without checks. All by way of ATM. I can't remember they last time I wrote a check NOB.

Archived