Chapala.com Webboard

Costco

gogirl

I too knew what clicks meant from reading and watching movies. Like Lobita I have never heard anyone use it in real life. Since the point of writing and speaking is to communicate, I use the more well-known units of measure.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too knew what clicks meant from reading and watching movies. Like Lobita I have never heard anyone use it in real life. Since the point of writing and speaking is to communicate, I use the more well-known units of measure.

It was faster and easier to say "klicks" than kilometers. Miles aren't used in most countries.

There is plenty of choice on Lakehore for food shopping, WM and Soriana complement each other well, SuperLake I have not been in for years, got too many times short changed. We got our local markets, Chapala tianguis has it all at lower prices than the Ajijic tianguis, Joco has its own, for fresh produce the tianguis is the place to go and beats any fresh produce in the large stores.

We don't need a Costco here, its easy to drive to the old Costco which I prefer to the new. Since the new overpass and tunnels on Lazaro Cardenas opened, takes me never more than 45 min. even in heavy traffic, and no topes like going through SJC!

See? I thought the directions from saege007 were good. Everybody's different. Sometimes too many instructions are worse than too few. Also, I'm from the US. We don't do "clicks", ComputerGuy. We measure the world in Miles. Miles and miles of miles!!! :ph34r:

Here you go Travis, There are only 3 countries that are still talking miles and pounds,

2 African nations and the leaders of the free world, The whole world has evolved

to metric, so get with the program. have you noticed Mexico measures in kilometres

and kilograms and litres, that's called 'The Metriic System' the rest of the world

uses the same, 6,700,000,000 of earths population use this system, you people

of the free world are leading from the back

Here you go Travis, There are only 3 countries that are still talking miles and pounds,

2 African nations and the leaders of the free world, The whole world has evolved

to metric, so get with the program. have you noticed Mexico measures in kilometres

and kilograms and litres, that's called 'The Metriic System' the rest of the world

uses the same, 6,700,000,000 of earths population use this system, you people

of the free world are leading from the back

The UK uses miles.

From what I understand, while Great Britain is a metric country, they have no plans to convert their road signage from miles to kilometres. However, most planning is done in kilometres; height and width restrictions are given in metres first, feet and inches second; radio and tv use kilometres when discussing other countries and do not give the mileage equivalent. Kind of a weird limbo.

Ireland was the same for many years, but finally finished converting 60,000 road signs to kilometres in 2005 (although I can't find if Northern Ireland has converted).

But a pint is still a pint at the pub. "Hey, Barman, gimme a half-litre of Guinness, right?"

yes computerman, its in limbo and has been since the start of decimilization in the late sixties early 70s. maybe scotland will go the whole hog if they vote for independance in september.one thing that does bother me in the uk is when documentaries on tv want to indicate the size of something or a quantity, they make a comparison with the size of an olympic swimming pool. or pools. i have no idea how big one is, i have never seen one, there cant be that many about either !! the size of a london bus or the size of a football pitch yes, but olympic swimming pools ?

On our first visit to the Costco across from the Galerias we studied the map of the route on Google Maps, programmed the address into the GPS in our car, and then proceeded to get totally lost. :huh: On our second visit to the same Costco, we printed out the Google Map along with handwritten annotations, programmed our GPS again, and then got lost again. :017:

Both times we were able to recover and get back on route, but it was unnerving to say the least. So I can totally empathize with Serenity6. I also agree with Computer Guy that more detailed instructions are better when telling a newbie about how to get around Guadalajara--the use of "clicks" notwithstanding. ^_^

The third time we went to the Costco on Lopez Mateo, which we found to be MUCH easier and faster by way of the Joco Bypass (use caution and watch for fallen rocks and loose animals on that bypass though). As noted by others, the exit to the Costco on Lopez Mateo can be tricky. I used the street view feature of Google Maps to virtually "drive" up the highway little by little until I could "see" what the exit looked like from the highway. I then did a screen capture of that view (press Crtl+PrintScreen, paste it Crtl+P into an image software like Paint if you have nothing else, and then print it). Having that visual clue with us in the car was most helpful. It was like having been there before, only virtually.

Another upside to going to the Costco on Lopez Mateo is that there is a Mega Store right next to it--double bonus. :D

OK, let's go off on another tangent: the name of the road that several of you have referred to is López MATEOS. The road is named for Mexico's former president (1958-1964), Adolfo López Mateos.

Serenity6, a good friend of mine did something similar to what you did in the gas station. At one time, an elderly woman (QEPD) sold cereals in bulk at the Wednesday tianguis. My friend, recently arrived in Ajijic and not up to speed with metrics, asked her for 2 kilos of puffed wheat. Ahem...2 kilos of puffed wheat all but filled the trunk of her car! She was too embarrassed to tell the vendor she had made a mistake, so she had puffed wheat that lasted for years.

When I mentioned Costco coming here I meant on the Chapala-Guadalajara Road. Not "here". The new Costco is convenient for people on the West side. It would be nice to have one closer to people on the East side. Just saying.

Well, do the math! Two people, 450 pesos for two cards, savings on a couple of cases of wine and you're recouped your cost. Now you have the rest of the year to save on your purchases.

Wine might not be the best example for saving I get most at Lakeshore for better prices. Real good savings are on cleaning products if buying the large size products.

Wow from a rumor of a Costco to clicks, directions, miles, topes, road names. Incredible...a social media person's nightmare! ;)

I for one sure hope they do bring a Costco to the east side, and a McDonalds and some late night restaurants would be good as well...life changes..things move forward called progress...

Archived