Chapala.com Webboard

Costco

gogirl

Every time we go to Costco, we throw $200 pesos into the gas tank "just to be sure we have enough" -- so unless we are buying a ton of stuff Lakeside Express turns out to be less expensive and waaay more convenient! (though once in a while it's good to actually go just so you can get into mischief with those Costco impulse purchases of things you never knew you needed!)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lakeside Express is also helpful in that I don't have to haul the huge bags of dog food & other heavy stuff into the house. I used to be so strong but no longer so I'm thrilled with their service. Exceptionally inexpensive for the service provided.

Guest bennie2

gringal has it right, delivery is the way to go. except they dont filet the fish/meat so i pass on LE. (im not a butcher or fish monger). loscats, i dont shop in box stores ever, i like to get in & get out. also i wouldnt dont drive 2 hrs in the sun for anything. thanks for the offer. food & medicine should not be a an expedtion, especially an uncomfortable one, but each to his own. i dontknow what costco would have that i cant get here. luisa, i wont pay to shop. if costco wants to charge thats their right. its my right to say no. why all the political blahblah? isnt it simple?

Guest bennie2

computerman etc, each to his own. its still beyound my comprehension how someone can drive one hour each way (200 pesos) to shop, or walk across a hot parking lot. i have stopped trying to figure things out. agree, the fish & meat here is sufficient. i have the fish place cut into indivual pieces, put into seperate plastic bags. superlake has all the cleaning products, bulk grains, etc.

Well, I doubt that any of us heads all the way into Guadalajara without planning other stops beforehand, at least not very bloody often. I have to go in semi-regularly to get computer parts, and that's when I'll do a CostCo run.

When my kids were here, we went to the VIP theatre at Plaza Galerias, across the street from Costco... but none of us wanted to go shopping that day, We had nothing else to do in the big city that day, but the value of taking in a giant movie in electrically-reclining leather LaZyBoys, with waiter service for your popcorn, beer and sushi, is hard to resist.

Guest bennie2

computerguy, makes sence. im sure costco has things superlake doesnt have. for me, i would love to just "order in"- but thats another topic. its taken me years to buy the larger amounts that i do, which is nothing next to most people. loscats, again i thankyou for thekind offer. im not good company for trips to box stores, though costco does seem a world away from walmart.

I was in the Costco today on Lopez Mateos and the female cashier was arguing with me that I was not using my card, but that I had stolen someone elses card. It was most definitely my card and despite my showing another form of identification she really was hell bent on not letting me check out, but luckily another employee came over and looked and said that yes it was me. Why she thought it wasn't me ? my eyes in both id's look brown when they are in fact a light green. Sigh.

They did have a nice selection of industrial bakeware in there today.

I was in the Costco today on Lopez Mateos and the female cashier was arguing with me that I was not using my card, but that I had stolen someone elses card. It was most definitely my card and despite my showing another form of identification she really was hell bent on not letting me check out, but luckily another employee came over and looked and said that yes it was me. Why she thought it wasn't me ? my eyes in both id's look brown when they are in fact a light green. Sigh.

They did have a nice selection of industrial bakeware in there today.

my guess is that she had PMS...I barely remember those days

Serenity, there are two Costcos. I'd consider the one by Galerias Mall to be "deep in the city" and harder to get to. I'd consider the one on Lopez Mateo to be on the outskirts and easy to get to. Ideally, if you could ride with someone else the first time, I think you'd find it a piece of cake after that. I'm willing to try to pm you directions if you'd like. I'm sure you'll get many different opinions than mine, including some that will say the Galerias one is easier.

I think you're right about the one on Lopez Mateo, except that you have to be very aware when you are coming upon it, otherwise you miss the turn-in. Now, I haven't been in a couple of years, but last time I missed it, you had to go quite a distance to get a retorno. Then, coming back, it is just as tricky getting into CostCo becuase the turn-in is under an overpass which hides the fact that there are two turns, one of which does not get you into CostCo... and you do the whole thing all over again.

Headed north, as soon as you pass the big Ford dealer on your right, get into the right hand lane and take the next exit, the driveway to Mega and Costco is a few hundred feet after you exit.

If you do it this way, it is really easy. They used to actually have Costco marked on one of the exit signs but no more. So just look for the big Ford dealer, very prominent.

Yeah, 15 or 20 minutes. Serenity, the big piece of directions that are missing (I have no idea how familiar you are with the area) is that to go to the Costco on Lopez Mateo you head toward Jocotopec from Ajijic, and follow the signs to Guadalajara. You'll hit a main intersection past Joco that ComputerGuy is talking about above. If you go straight, you hit the toll road to Manzanillo/Barra de Navidad. If you bear right, you continue toward Guadalajara. You'll drive for 15 minutes or so, and just keep staying toward the center heading to GDL, don't exit off to the right. You'll eventually pass a Burger King on your left, then start looking for the Ford and Izuzu dealerships on your right. That's when you want to get into the right hand lane. Stay to the far right. The first thing you'll see is the big Mega sign in the sky. That's where you're going. They have a parking lot that connects with Costco. I think I'm going on Sunday morning, and would consider you riding along if you'd like.

Thank every single one of you for your very helpful comments! I'm going to give it one more shot on my own....and if I drive around in circles for two hours yet again, or another expensive part of my car blows up, I'm going to tag along with one of you next time! I'm totally unaccustomed to driving in the city with road planning and engineering I'm not accustomed too, being a dull California/Los Angeles driver.

Galeria's Costco is far the easiest to get to for us, it takes 50 minutes from our home and to go to the new one on Lopez Mateos take 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.

With the new bridges you fly to it.

Plus on the way back you can hit Abastos, the $ store and home depot, Office Depot and Auto Zone.

Galeria's Costco is far the easiest to get to for us, it takes 50 minutes from our home and to go to the new one on Lopez Mateos take 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.

With the new bridges you fly to it.

Plus on the way back you can hit Abastos, the $ store and home depot, Office Depot and Auto Zone.

Yes, it is much easier to get to! Plus you have the Plaza Galarias across the street, where you can do a little shopping.

That's what it appeared as on the map I industriously studied last night. I'm also trying to get to that Galerias mall (after a disastrous trip to El Gran Plaza for much needed clothing, and finding an 80s vomitfest of nothing but neon and flammable attire). Looks like I just stick to that main highway-type road, and then Costco is right across the street from the mall in the area with all the streets named after famous composers.

While I applaud hensley and saege's take on the definition of "easier", having driven that route a million times (give or take), I challenge you to list the steps required (don't forget the left-lane changes, underpasses, splits and so on)...

Follow the Chapala-Guadalajara highway north to Guadalajara. In the El Alamo area (where the highway splits off and goes up over the hill) get in the left lane. The Lazaro Cardenas exit is a left exit (you go up a ramp and to the left). Take that exit and follow that road past the suspension bridge and the Los Arcos (big yellow arches) to just past where Lazaro Cardenas merges with Avenida Vallarta (you'll see signs that say to Vallarta) until you get to Avenida Rafael Sanzio. Take that exit and Costco will be on your left hand side.

I'd say that is pretty easy. You can either turn left on Rafael Sanzio or take the returno directly before the light (after you get off the highway) and go in the back entrance.

Good luck with those instructions, whoever! It's quite different when you've done it a number of times... all the turns you think are easy are quite confusing to the unitiated. I would be much more detailed for a newcomer.

Archived