Chapala.com Webboard

Costco

gogirl

You'll get a Mega before you get a Costco, I say.

Pete

"Costco's operations are in Mexico through a joint venture (joint venture) equally (50-50) with Comercial Mexicana [Mega]. And the CEO said, will represent about 2.5% of total revenues of the corporation next year."

http://www.cnnexpansion.com/expansion/2009/11/25/tenemos-grandes-socios-en-comerci

Pete you may be right.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Costco's operations are in Mexico through a joint venture (joint venture) equally (50-50) with Comercial Mexicana [Mega]. And the CEO said, will represent about 2.5% of total revenues of the corporation next year."

http://www.cnnexpansion.com/expansion/2009/11/25/tenemos-grandes-socios-en-comerci

Pete you may be right.

I see that story dates back to 2009. The News (from DF) said in a story last week that Costco was sold by Comerci as part of debt restructuring - in the link below scroll down to Pelican Landing - the reference is there:

http://www.thenews.com.mx/index.php/business-articulos/20144-pancakes-coffee-movies

I see that story dates back to 2009. The News (from DF) said in a story last week that Costco was sold by Comerci as part of debt restructuring - in the link below scroll down to Pelican Landing - the reference is there:

http://www.thenews.com.mx/index.php/business-articulos/20144-pancakes-coffee-movies

Thanks. It is good to see you are on the ball. I didn´t even notice the date. I was searching on google mx. in Spanish for any news of them building a new Costco perhaps near the airport and found nothing.

News flash: There are no Costco stores in Guadalajara. However, there is one in Zapopan and another one in Tlajomulco; both of which are quite separate municipalities from Guadalajara.

That's some serious hair-splitting RVGringo. Okay, there are two Costcos within the Zona Metropolitana de Guadalajara.

We're not getting a Costco out here in the boondocks. On that I would make a very large wager.

Which I think about sums it up, folks. I wouldn't mind a bit getting a Mega. They got one in San Miguel de Allende, which puts it in the realm of possibility. Nice variety of choices in that store.

I think if they built a Costco on the road going to GDL somewhere near the Pepsi plant would be a good idea. Many other communities would go, and it would be far enough and near enough with plenty of parking. People from Labarca and Ocotlan would find the drive easy also.

Just an idea... surely we do not need one here in Ajijic.

Oh jeez. Everyone must voice an opinion. I have an easy question. How does one get a membership to Costco? Just pay a yearly fee? Anything else required? How much is it?

To get Costco membership, you have to take the original and three notarized copies of your passport, ditto of your Mexican visa, an apostilled copy of your birth certificate no older than 6 months, a certification that you have no criminal history in Mexico AND in Jalisco, plus another state of your choosing, your Mexican driver's license, six copies of your last three bank statements (translated into Spanish and notarized), a comprobante de domicilio from your current residence and the last two places you have lived, and the original and three copies of your TIP document.

(Couldn't help myself! This is a joke! You only need to pay the annual fee.)

News flash: There are no Costco stores in Guadalajara. However, there is one in Zapopan and another one in Tlajomulco; both of which are quite separate municipalities from Guadalajara.

Flashback: if you go to Google and type CostCo in Guadalajara, you will get a listing of those self-same CostCos. Besides, those municipalities are considered a part of the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, which is the same thing as saying Guad.

More Liana: good one.

More Liana: You have no shame!! Okay, April Fools is tomorrow, so okay.

And yes, all you have to do is bring some kind of ID to the membership desk, fill out a form, and they'll issue you a card. (not even sure you need ID).

BTW, the folks on here like to have a little fun..........which is good for the spirit. Don't take this thread wandering very seriously. Welcome to the board.

Oh jeez. Everyone must voice an opinion. I have an easy question. How does one get a membership to Costco? Just pay a yearly fee? Anything else required? How much is it?

I think it's 450 pesos for 2 cards and 550 pesos for 3 cards - or it was when we renewed last year.

Guest bennie2

they charge you to shop? what a racket! i wonder how much one has to buy to make back the fee. doesnt costco sell things in bulk? sound like you have to own a hotel to make it worth your while.

Bennie you need to understand Costco. It is a private club and the cost is $30 a year. Everything Costco sells is marked up at a fixed rate so if it costs Costco 100USD for something they would sell it to members for 115USD or something like that. They also have very high quality products and last but not least if you don't like something you can take it back with very very generous return policy. They also treat there employees with dignity and a little more money than most places like Costco. Costco is thought of very highly in US. Yes you have to recover the membership fees but most people do that quite quickly. The Kirkland brand comes from the city in Washington State that is the first store was founded. Costco is anything but a rip off in my opinion. The return policy is the best in the industry. Bennie if you want I will take you there sometime if you want to see if it is right for you. Most of us already know its right for us. Best 30 bucks I spend a year in my opinion. Trader Joes is the only other store I hold in high esteem like Costco.

Good point Gringal makes, too. For about six bucks a delivery (for five items) you don't have to spend the membership cost, or the gas cost, or the tension of doing that Guadalajara drive. And it's gotta be 10 bucks these days to go there and back.

While I do have a membership, I really appreciate having Lakeside Express (http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/) available every week. In fact, time to put in my order, as Thursday deliveries must be ordered by Tuesday 5:30. When I forget I get quite annoyed with myself.

Good point Gringal makes, too. For about six bucks a delivery (for five items) you don't have to spend the membership cost, or the gas cost, or the tension of doing that Guadalajara drive. And it's gotta be 10 bucks these days to go there and back.

While I do have a membership, I really appreciate having Lakeside Express (http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/) available every week. In fact, time to put in my order, as Thursday deliveries must be ordered by Tuesday 5:30. When I forget I get quite annoyed with myself.

I think it depends on whether a person enjoys the big box shopping experience.....seeing new products, trying the samples and just generally ......."shopping". Neither my spouse nor I do, and the traffic getting there is a real PITA. So, we really appreciate having a service that takes our order over the net and delivers to our door. No driving, no shopping. Perfect for us, but not for everybody.

I got a chuckle from LCScat's post directed at Bennie. She's made it pretty clear in many other posts that the last thing she would want is a shopping trip to Costco. However, he's an eternal optimist and a real giving kind of guy, so bless his heart for making the offer.

they charge you to shop? what a racket! i wonder how much one has to buy to make back the fee. doesnt costco sell things in bulk? sound like you have to own a hotel to make it worth your while.

bennie, your interests list "american heritage foundation". As far as I can tell, you are referring to "The Heritage Foundation, an organization that supports free enterprise. If this is so, why do you challenge Costco, a very successful example of responsible free enterprise? Are you opposed to free enterprise?

According to Wikipedia: The Heritage Foundation is an American conservative think tank based in Washington, D.C. Heritage's stated mission is to "formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise,limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense".[2]

The foundation took a leading role in the conservative movement during the presidency of Ronald Reagan, whose policies drew significantly from Heritage's policy study Mandate for Leadership.[3] Heritage has since continued to have a significant influence in U.S. public policy making, and is considered to be one of the most influential conservative research organizations in the United States.[4]

Archived