Chapala.com Webboard

Drenajes o Desagues de Cantera - Where to Buy??

We are building an upper level on our house with a mirador, does anyone know where to find those decorative drainage pipes made of cement or cantera? I have seen them shaped like snakes or iguanas or etc......they are so much prettier than having an ugly pipe sticking out of your roof. There used to be a store that sold bird baths and garden statuary leaving Ajijic and going towards Jocotepec. I have been informed that this place recently closed down. Does anybody know where these desagues de cantera can be found?? Thanks....

I think you are looking for what people call boca de tormenta. There's a cantera place on the Chapala/Guadalajara highway--on the east side--that might have them or could have someone make them for you. If I recall correctly, it is before you get to the airport.

You could also go over to San Lucas Evangelista (near Cajititlán), where they make metates and molcajetes, and ask someone to make them for you.

Third thought: the town of Atotonilco el Alto, northeast of Ocotlán, is home to a lot of cantera artisans. It's an interesting trip, not too far away. NOT Atotonilquillo.
Map: https://maps.google.com.mx/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=213762270525383116815.0004dc3c66358db7a03be&dg=feature

I'd take a drawing of what you want, regardless of where you go.

There's a place on the lateral in Ranch del Oro headed west before you get to where Tabarka used to be - it's on the mountain side across the carretera from Dental Express. They sell texas roof tiles and terracotta light covers
eclectic-wall-sconces.jpg

I think they have what you're looking for too.

Archived