Chapala.com Webboard

Green Waste Protocol in Ajijic

5Jacks

We rent a house with a very large garden and the gardeners come on Monday and Friday afternoons. The trocka roja picks up basura verde on Friday mornings. With all the winds we've been having, and just the general time of year it is right now, we have many bags of waste by the time they come to collect. 9 large bags today. They rang the bell and told me there were too many bags and, basically, I need to pay them 200 pesos to take it. I did not pay them (my understanding is that the owner pays annually for this service) and they did not pick up any of the bags. So there they sit on the sidewalk for who knows how long.

Is it unreasonable of me to expect them to just do their job without extortion? We did give them a nice tip at Christmas time.

The pick up is free so I doubt that the owner are paying for anything, I you do not want to have the bag arounds you can dispose of them yourself, find out from city hall what the limit is on the bags and argue with the guys who pick up every week or pay the 200 pesos.

Pile your bags somewhere and give them extra bags when you have less to dump.

Not to change the subject but on garbage we have it made in these parts, in Oaxaca they have to pay 5p each time the garbage collector comes and they do not pick up the trash for you, you have to put your own trash in the truck, I couldn't believe this, if you are not home you are not allowed to leave it on the curb, they will not pick it up.

In San Cristobal we do not pay but we had to put the garbage in the truck until this year as well and they came at 6am in our barrio.

We still have to wait for the bell before we can but the garbage out so we still have to be out there rain or shine at 6am..People in Ajijic have it easy,

In SJC they take everything. We often have a lot of garden waste after the gardeners trim. We tip our wonderful guys 10 pesos per tub. Our neighbors often hand them pesos, too. Our gardener told us that the men make little money doing this tough job, and the local people recognize this by giving them a few pesos. Our guys take the tubs, dump them, and help us get them back inside the gate. Always with a smile.

Carol

In San Cristobal we do not pay but we had to put the garbage in the truck until this year as well and they came at 6am in our barrio.

We still have to wait for the bell before we can but the garbage out so we still have to be out there rain or shine at 6am..People in Ajijic have it easy,

In Ajijic, people are wealthy foreigners so it is expected them to pay for everything. Foreigners have more money than locals....so, they pay more...

You are allowed three green bags a week. Green collection in Ajijic is usually one day a week. Trash and bottle, can, cardboard is everyday except Sunday. Over three green bags, tip is expected. Green trash is in a different truck than regular trash pickup.

Z

Archived