Chapala.com Webboard

iusacell contract

kbiohio

I have a two-year contract with iusacell. The term ends at the end of June. I am starting to poke around and research my options for phones and services once the contract is finished.

I have an iPhone 3GS 8G GMS. It fulfills most of my needs. However, I would really like a slightly better camera with flash. I would also love something slightly smaller (at least not bigger).

I have been happy with my iusacell service. The plan has been a great deal (400 minutes of air time; 200 texts; 1 GB data) for just $399p/month - the iPhone was free). I don't see that this plan still exists on the iusacell web site. I use most of the 400 minutes. I average around 130 texts each month. I almost never use the 1 GB for data.

Does anyone have experience with an iusacell contract ending? Did they offer to continue the existing plan? Did they have any fabulous 'existing customer / customer retention' promotions? If yes, how did they communicate with you? Texts or emails? I can't go in to the local iusacell store any longer, since they closed the Centro Laguna location.

Does anyone know of a plan with TelCel that might be similar to what I have now? My most frequently called numbers are to people with TelCel.

Anyone want to throw out advise on a new SmartPhone? I'm not married to iOS. I don't need the newest and fanciest on the market (a decent camera w/flash is important to me). Another free phone with contract would be fabulous. I have also researched unlocked phones online - but get overwhelmed (& $200 USD would be my upper limit). I spend about 30 days out of the year in the U.S., and would love to be able to use my cell during those visits.

I know there are some knowledgable folks on this forum. I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this out there for input. Thank you in advance for any thoughtful feedback.

~KBIOhio

I have a two-year contract with iusacell. The term ends at the end of June. I am starting to poke around and research my options for phones and services once the contract is finished.

I have an iPhone 3GS 8G GMS. It fulfills most of my needs. However, I would really like a slightly better camera with flash. I would also love something slightly smaller (at least not bigger).

I have been happy with my iusacell service. The plan has been a great deal (400 minutes of air time; 200 texts; 1 GB data) for just $399p/month - the iPhone was free). I don't see that this plan still exists on the iusacell web site. I use most of the 400 minutes. I average around 130 texts each month. I almost never use the 1 GB for data.

Does anyone have experience with an iusacell contract ending? Did they offer to continue the existing plan? Did they have any fabulous 'existing customer / customer retention' promotions? If yes, how did they communicate with you? Texts or emails? I can't go in to the local iusacell store any longer, since they closed the Centro Laguna location.

Does anyone know of a plan with TelCel that might be similar to what I have now? My most frequently called numbers are to people with TelCel.

Anyone want to throw out advise on a new SmartPhone? I'm not married to iOS. I don't need the newest and fanciest on the market (a decent camera w/flash is important to me). Another free phone with contract would be fabulous. I have also researched unlocked phones online - but get overwhelmed (& $200 USD would be my upper limit). I spend about 30 days out of the year in the U.S., and would love to be able to use my cell during those visits.

I know there are some knowledgable folks on this forum. I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this out there for input. Thank you in advance for any thoughtful feedback.

~KBIOhio

My contract is ending soon, too. About 6 months ago they automatically switched my plan to a better plan. I still pay $399, and although I get less texts (100 instead of 200), my cost per minute dropped to $1.41 pesos and that includes making calls to the USA with that plan. I can't think offhand what the name of the plan is, but I essentially get much more airtime for my peso. The majority of the people I text have an iPhone or iPad, so we use iMessage or I use Whatsapp and rarely ever touch my monthly texts. Barely use the Data either, since I'm mostly connected to WiFi. I'm hoping they have a good deal on the newer iPhones, since our model (3Gs) cannot be upgraded anymore and I use it for my business.

I'll try and see if I can find out what the name of my plan is. You signed up at the same time as me, so I'm surprised they didn't change you over, too. Also, we can upgrade our phones in mid to late May (at 23 months).

I like the nextel ialarm cell plan....you program up to 10 friends contact info....if you have an emergency you push a button on top of the cell phone and it sends a message to those contacts.....they are able to go online and see where you are located at.

Trying to dial a number or typing a number in a medical emergency it takes time and one could be in a panic mode and not able to dial numbers.

This service comes with the specific ialarm cell phone and specific plan.

Its not a cheap plan but i would say its worth every peso.

Archived