Chapala.com Webboard

Need help with street taco translations

mexicomoose

I went to the Chapala tianguis on Monday last week for the first time and stumbled upon a very tasty street taco vendor there, Taco Ruben. Not yet being very good with my Espanol, I was at a bit of a disadvantage, but I didn't let that stop me. ;) I ordered three "taco medios," which I truly enjoyed for the amazingly low price of only 9 pesos each! But as I ate these and looked over their sign, I wondered what "tacos dorados" and "tacos blanditos" were so that I might return and try those next.

So I snapped a picture of the sign (attached) figuring that I could go online to the GoogleNets and figure this out later. Not so much. :unsure:I think that dorados might mean rolled tacos, aka taquitos, but I'm not sure of that. Can someone please enlighten me as to what these mean? Also what does "doraditos" mean in the top line of the sign, "Birrria y Doraditos?" The best that I can come up with is "golden." :huh:

Thanks much!

post-18374-0-48886200-1395898093_thumb.j

In most culinary usage, dorado means golden brown--used the way I might say, "First, brown your meat". In this instance, my suspicion is that it means tostadas, maybe fried on the spot or...well, who knows. Ask Rubén to show you one, or let you taste one.

And tacos medios could well be somewhere halfway between blanditos and dorados!

So much of this use of language depends on the person who has idiosyncratic definitions of terms. "Así siempre hablaba mi mamá!"

I have gathered, from observation, that the rolled fried tacos are called 'tacos dorados' locally. They are kind of golden, so it makes sense ...

(Confused me at first, because I was expecting fish tacos -- knowing that 'dorado' is also the word for mahi mahi!)

Lobita nailed it: dorados is very local, much like campechanos (sp?) is very local. Going to another village and asking for a campechano (taco with cheese) will get you a blank look, or maybe even an alcoholic beverage; ask for a quesadilla and you will get it.

If you find yourself down here at the beach in Puerto Vallarta you will also see taco stands offering dorado and blandito and they mean the same as at the Lake: crispy fried or soft.

Lobita nailed it: dorados is very local, much like campechanos (sp?) is very local. Going to another village and asking for a campechano (taco with cheese) will get you a blank look, or maybe even an alcoholic beverage; ask for a quesadilla and you will get it.

Ask for a quesadilla in Mexico City and you'll get an uncooked tortilla folded over any sort of thing--usually but not always including cheese--that's then toasted till done on a comal (griddle) with little or no grease. "Una quesadilla, por favor, con papas y rajas." "Quiere queso?" Jijiji.

Tacos dorados are tacos dorados in the DF, too. Tortillas, rolled around a filling and fried till golden brown. Hence dorados.

A campechano is also a kind of seafood cocktail AND it's a pan dulce.

A campechano is also a kind of seafood cocktail AND it's a pan dulce.

And in a pulqueria if you ask for a campechano you'll get a mix of well fermented and "joven" pulque,and of course it also refers to someone from Campeche.

Never been able to stomach dorados: most places serve them as "also-rans": minimal stuffing, over-fried, yech. Like charales, you need to dip them in something that kills the taste, lol.

100% agree. Give me a gordita, a huarache, a sope, a quesadilla, a tlacoyo, a tlayuda, or a tamal. But hold the doraditos.

Archived