Chapala.com Webboard

One Way Streets Ajijic

I've always been told east west has right of way in Ajijic. That means nothing. Unmarked rule is actually first into the intersection. That means nothing. Real rule is biggest goes first. When I drive my Terrain with police bumpers(burros, I think) I get courtesy. When I drive the MGB or Triumph nada.

so far there are THREE different theories. give way to right. east west, north south.and that's justs NOBs ideas. no wonder there are complaints about the standard of driving. what about the day trippers from Guadalajara what rules do they obey? no wonder there are accidents. with caution is the best way.

Ha. You've driven here... ignoring the rules is the rule, especially Tapatios. (Most, not all, but most) think of this place as a backwater hicktown. They walk as full families spread across any road and don't think to move out of the way of traffic. In Riberas, Chula Vista, and the like, they drive in the middle of the street or on the wrong side completely, depending. They turn off the highway far too soon, blocking your vision of oncoming traffic. When moving onto the highway, they don't stay in their lane to make a leftie: they pull way over to the left, again blocking my own view of the road.

I would have to guess there are plenty of responsible drivers around, too, because there has to be some reason there aren't a hundred smackups a day here... which means the good ones are always on the lookout for the dumb ones.

just like the foreigners come up with the guy o the right has priority or the north south has priority.

Since we have 3 groups of people who basically do not communicate it would be good to know what is being considered correct by the people and the transito when there are no signs.

At lease the local Mexicans and the foreigners would be in sink, the tourists will do what tourists do ..

yesterday I was having lunch at Gossips which is on a northbound street only bordering the carretera . There is an arrow sign on the corner, admittedly on a tree. A gringo in a gold late model cadillac with foreign plates torn down the one way street headed south. How he didn't have a head on is beyond me. The tapitios aren't the only $%&/()s.

$%&/()s is a bad word. I was being kind

Ha. You've driven here... ignoring the rules is the rule, especially Tapatios. (Most, not all, but most) think of this place as a backwater hicktown.

Not really,most Tapatios think of the Lake Chapala area as a convenient day trip destination for their families.

Frankly the constant complaints from gringo/expats on this forum about Mexicans from Guadalajara visiting lakeside rub me wrong.Whose country is it anyway?

So be rubbed. The reason a lot of gringos complain about the attitude of a lot of visitors from Guadalajara is because a lot of them deserve our complaints. What the heck difference does it make what country we are talking about? A jerk is a jerk. You'll see us complaining about gringos, too... in fact, based on some of the threads here with a select group constantly and repeatedly trying to "norhternize" everything, probably a lot more.

But I digress. Here we go again, turning a thread into another soap-box for people to critize the posters' opinions, right or wrong. Not a discussion anymore.

Frankly if you are not familiar with an area it is very easy to miss some of the signs especially if you start havingto look at trees. ...If they were in a consistant location either painted, glued, nailed or whatever it would be an improvement.

Some people se them and ignore them and some people do not see them because they are busy looking for something else.

I know I get confused about the two ways versus the one way and I have been there for 13 years It has to be confusing for people who are not familiar with the area Tapatios or others..

One of the reasons you tend to see fewer accidents in Mexico than the US is actually due to this aspect of not knowing who has the "Right of Way". Everyone become more cautious instead of feeling that you have the right to proceed. What if the other guy doesn't know that? BAM! One thing is for sure, pedestrians NEVER have the right of way in Mexico. The biggest vehicle has the right of way, if they are equal the more aggressive driver has the right of way. Red lights, stop signs and one way street signs are merely suggestions. Drive as if you never have the right of way and never, ever give anyone the finger. That is a big no-no here.

One of the reasons you tend to see fewer accidents in Mexico than the US is actually due to this aspect of not knowing who has the "Right of Way". Everyone become more cautious instead of feeling that you have the right to proceed. What if the other guy doesn't know that? BAM! One thing is for sure, pedestrians NEVER have the right of way in Mexico. The biggest vehicle has the right of way, if they are equal the more aggressive driver has the right of way. Red lights, stop signs and one way street signs are merely suggestions. Drive as if you never have the right of way and never, ever give anyone the finger. That is a big no-no here.

Very true. If you drive as pappysmarket does you will be aware and never asume anything and drive as if you are always avoiding a scrap on your car. Especially avoid people driving vehicles already with scraps on all sides and corners. They are the real nasty ones.

The driving laws are made by the State of Jalisco and not different for every village.

According to the law of Jalisco the car on the right has the right of way.

Gobierno Del Estado De Jalisco Secretaria de Validad Y Transporte

Cuales son los vehiculos que tienen prelacion de paso?

Hacer alto total y ceder el paso al de la derecha.

The driving laws are made by the State of Jalisco and not different for every village.

According to the law of Jalisco the car on the right has the right of way.

Gobierno Del Estado De Jalisco Secretaria de Validad Y Transporte

Cuales son los vehiculos que tienen prelacion de paso?

It also states come to a full stop, then yield the R of W. As if anyone is going to come to a full stop at an uncontroled intersection. I have yet to see that happen and as most experienced drivers state, drive as if you are trying to follow the way others drive to avoid an accident and rules are just suggestions.

You can follow traffic laws here and get rearended quite easily. Be sensible in your decisions when on the road is my thinking at all times.

I just have to tell this funny and scary story. I teach ESL and one of the Mexican students often insists on driving me to Chapala (I'd rather take the bus). I mentioned one day that we were going through stop signs and asked how people knew when to stop and, at an uno a uno sign, who goes first. "Stop signs? What stop signs?" He really NEVER noticed the signs along Chapala streets!! Holy Toledo!

I thought I posted this earlier today but ?

The car on the right has the right away. It is the State of Jalisco that sets the rules/laws for driving and not the individual cities.

If you have studied for, and taken the driving examination, there should be no confusion. Question 26 asks (my crude translation): At a street crossing of equal importance who has right away according to the regulations (also no sign present)?

Answer: The car to the right.

Gobierno Del Estado De Jalisco Secretaria De Vialidad Y Transporte

En cruces de arterias de iqual importancia carentes de senalmiento de la prelacion de Paso, Que debera usted hacer segun el reglamento?

Archived