Chapala.com Webboard

One Way Streets Ajijic

Another project that Hector and his band of merry workers might consider tackling....

We need one way street arrows put up on many, many of our streets in the village and above the carretera. This would be a great public service.

For example: the two streets on either side of plaza bugambilia...which way do they run?

Yes, and some speed limit signs would help! People get nailed for violating the speed limits on the carretera and elsewhere, but who knows what the speed limits are?

At least if they are posted, there isn't an excuse when the transito cop stops you!

Arrows would be a great help, especially to new people driving here. Also stop signs at intersections would be nice. I know it would just be a suggestion but at least it might help prevent people driving through the intersections in Ajijic and Chapala without evening slowing down and looking. We practically stop at all intersections to make sure it is clear and it has saved someone

T-boning us several times.

Arrows would be a great help, especially to new people driving here. Also stop signs at intersections would be nice. I know it would just be a suggestion but at least it might help prevent people driving through the intersections in Ajijic and Chapala without evening slowing down and looking. We practically stop at all intersections to make sure it is clear and it has saved someone

T-boning us several times.

Chapala has stop signs at almost all the intersections. Doesn't actually stop anyone, though. Someone told me once that North-South streets have the right of way, and that West-East ones are supposed to stop or yield. (could be the opposite, too).

Why do you think we have all these topes? Mexican drivers ignore speed limits, stop signs, traffic signals, pedestrian crosswalks, side of the road to drive on, etc.

When walking or driving, think of yourself as engaged in one of those crazy driver video games. When it comes to driving or walking, paranoia is the right mental state. In this case, they really are out to get you. :D

Seriously, you should assume that they are going to speed, run signals and stop signs. Make darned sure things are clear and there is no one hurtling towards you at twice the speed limit before you stick your nose out.

In San Cristobal we have a good system: white arrow on a black background have priority and white arrows on a red background are stop signs. N need for extra stop signs , it works vey well.

The signs are actuallypainted on the houses so transitos cannot switch the sign when they need money.

Why do you think we have all these topes? Mexican drivers ignore speed limits, stop signs, traffic signals, pedestrian crosswalks, side of the road to drive on, etc.

When walking or driving, think of yourself as engaged in one of those crazy driver video games. When it comes to driving or walking, paranoia is the right mental state. In this case, they really are out to get you. :D

Seriously, you should assume that they are going to speed, run signals and stop signs. Make darned sure things are clear and there is no one hurtling towards you at twice the speed limit before you stick your nose out.

It's like a live version of the old Atari game Frogger.

And it really should be pointed out that it is not just Mexican drivers. Some of the worst drivers I have seen down here have been foreigners.

Someone told me once that North-South streets have the right of way, and that West-East ones are supposed to stop or yield. (could be the opposite, too).

True: all streets in Ajijic, San Antonio, etc. that run to the lake or away from the lake have the right-of-way. Except cross-streets that the buses use... I assume because no one wants to argue with a bus. Whether this applies in Chapala where the street grid is a bit different, I don't know.

Too funny. A friend, who's Mexican, told me the exact opposite when we moved here. He said East/West streets in Ajijic have the right-of-way and North/South is supposed to yield. If you watch traffic flow on Ocampo/Constitución it certainly appears that way, for the most part. Sometimes. :huh:

P.S. Floradude, both streets on each side of El Torito run in both directions, as does Aldama.

Yeah, I know, too funny. Because there are two main cross streets going through Colon, with muchas buses, that probably gives the perception of the opposite. And of course the plain truth is that hardly anybody pays attention to the rule, or even bothers to look when approaching an intersection. I have to scratch my head and wonder why there haven't been a million more accidents.

I believe the direction thing is based on the days when most of the streets were little more than rain streams, or arroyos.

Travelling west on Camino Real out of LaFloresta, one drives directly into Constitution, a one-way street going east. It is not marked as such!. The only sign is on the top of the wall of the building on the southwest corner. Even if there wasn't a tree blocking the driver's view, who would ever to think to look there when it should be obvious that if there isn't a one-way, do not enter sign in front of you, it is legal to enter? Well, it ain't obvious. Not here & not with the cop who often sits there awaiting unsuspecting gringos who might not have all there automobile papers in order. Then, the threats start.

I took the ticket. Not cheap by Mexican standards. $750 NM.

The next day a new one-way sign was nailed to the tree of the south side of Constitution where Juan Alvarez meets it, a block further west. It doesn't do the driver coming out of Camino Real any good, but the cop saw me walking around looking for signs, so I guess he thought he ought to do something.

Be careful out there!

All Mexicans I know tell me that the East west streets have priority starting with the main road which is Ocampo Constitution.

Most people do give you the right away if you are going East West so so much for the streets going up fro the lae or going bac down. People going up and down Colon give prioritu to Ocampo Constitucion and the other east west streets wether there is a bus or not.

bmh is RIGHT! The easy arrow system in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas works GREAT and there don't seem to be any problems with it. Perhaps you could present this idea to Hector and see if he'd be willing to implement it in Ajijic.

Valerie :)

Please, folks, can't we just verify what the deal is and then live with it? This town has evolved along with the number of car-owners, for better or worse, to the way it is today. Poking our noses into yet another area is not going to win any awards.

My original post has been kidnapped by stop signs and right away issues (when two cars arrive at an unmarked intersection at

the same time the car on the right has the right away; otherwise the first car at the intersection has the right away).

I believe my original suggestion is very practical and of benefit to every person who drives or rides in car in the village of Ajijic.

We need to ask for more directional arrows, both two way and one way) on the streets of Ajijic (above and below the carretera).

This is an issue of safety. It will also help to reduce confusion and perhaps reduce the incidence of the few unethical police who prey on susceptible members of the foreign community.

Doing it is no problem, a no brainer. Now who pays for the signs? If you get up a petition, maybe there is a chance to get chapala or Transito to pay for them, which would be a long shot. I'm game. Otherwise donors need to supply the signs

If we id the street corners without signs it would lower the number of signs needed and the city may consider painting them on the corners.

There are already signs up it is just that some are missing.

Can Hector clarify if any street have priotirty? East West or North South?.

(when two cars arrive at an unmarked intersection at

the same time the car on the right has the right away; otherwise the first car at the intersection has the right away).

Not the rule in many places here [.when two cars arrive at an unmarked intersection at

the same time the car on the right has the right away]

That is a NOB rule. IMO If you follow that rule be prepared to brake hard or get hit sometimes.

Also consider many that live there have their own system of deciding which direction the "right" of way is given. If you don´t know stop and a horn honk from the person behind you indicates you do.

Archived