Chapala.com Webboard

Police Comparison Chapala/Ajijic vs Jocotepec

carphil

I know this has been pointed out time and again BUT I guess not everyone gets it. The money grabbing (so called) police are not the real police. They are Transitos or Vialidad - sort of like a highway patrol whose ONLY job is enforcing the traffic laws.

The Municipal police are the ones who patrol the streets preventing crime and responding to calls to respond to criminal matters.

A big difference!

Before accusing police, you should know what you are talking about.

The transitos in Ajijic are as bad as they come. In San Cristobal de las Casas we go into the street where we live the wrong way as it is difficult to enter the property otherwise, the transitos help us. In Ajijic they lurk around and wait...

Not just Ajijic, but Chapala too. Not just Gringos, Mexicans as well. And don't you think it is better this year than previous years? Way fewer complaints on this board.

I think, perhaps someone can confirm, that the Transitos or Vialidad for Joco , Ajijic and Chapala come out of the same office and report to Jefe in Chapala. When we see extra motor cycles police I think they are "on loan" from Guad.

It is interesting having the extra 4/6 pick up police vans loaned from Guad/Jalisco..but who pays to man them etc and fill them up

I know the previous Commandante de Vialidad[headquartered in Chapala] well, and his area of command was from the Ocotlan border around the lake to Tizapan. I believe it was the same for the prior Commandante when headquartered in Riberas as he commuted from Tuxcueca.

They are State traffic POLICE[carry guns too] and traffic is their ONLY jurisdiction,period.

I know the previous Commandante de Vialidad[headquartered in Chapala] well, and his area of command was from the Ocotlan border around the lake to Tizapan. I believe it was the same for the prior Commandante when headquartered in Riberas as he commuted from Tuxcueca.

They are State traffic POLICE[carry guns too] and traffic is their ONLY jurisdiction,period.

I am not sure what you are saying ref the State police..I think their responsibility, coverage etc is the Sate roads, those roads outside the jurisdiction the the towns or cities Vialidad.

I go to Joco frequently. Several months ago I parked in the middle of a row of cars all Mexican plated. I was the only car (Canadian plates) who got a ticket for parking within a yellow curbed zone. It was yellow ahead of me & yellow behind me! I was with a Mexican friend who asked the cop how come I was the only one with a ticket. He just smiled & shrugged his shoulders.

I go to Joco frequently. Several months ago I parked in the middle of a row of cars all Mexican plated. I was the only car (Canadian plates) who got a ticket for parking within a yellow curbed zone. It was yellow ahead of me & yellow behind me! I was with a Mexican friend who asked the cop how come I was the only one with a ticket. He just smiled & shrugged his shoulders.

Well I guess you got a smile..do you have to bother to pay the fine, unlike a MX plated car when you go to renew the car license the ticket will be record and you have to pay then before they will renew the tag

The best way to put those police facilitators out of extra money is to get a ticket and go and pay it up, lets get the word out no more mordida's and this will solve the problem.

Has anyone also noticed the immense difference between the Chapala/Ajijic and the Jocotepec police?

In my experience, the Jocotepec police are not consumed with hounding gringos over minor infractions for bribes and, for the most part, are honest and polite.

• Same thing happens regarding workers, they are more interested and responsable about the things done, and they usually collect the right price.

I am not sure what you are saying ref the State police..I think their responsibility, coverage etc is the Sate roads, those roads outside the jurisdiction the the towns or cities Vialidad.

I stand by what I said. Again,the former commandante is a friend of mine. Please stop the misinformation. It is the same in every state.

I stand by what I said. Again,the former commandante is a friend of mine. Please stop the misinformation. It is the same in every state.

It is not the "same" in Baja California or the state of San Luis Potosi and most likely many other states. It appears your info. is only for the state of Jalisco.

In Baja California the transistos are municipal, for example in Mexicali, the state capital, they are under the Dirección de Seguridad Pública Municipal (DSPM). In San Luis Potosi a similar set up. Their vehicles are marked as such.

Most State Pólice are crime prevention with no "special" transitos and can give out traffic citations. Federal Pólice can also give out traffic citations as far as I understand it.

I have heard of Federal Pólice giving speeding tickets on the cuotas here.

Had a friend recently get a speeding ticket from Aguascaliente State Pólice not a special "transito State Pólice" etc.

It is not the "same" in Baja California or the state of San Luis Potosi and most likely many other states. It appears your info. is only for the state of Jalisco.

In Baja California the transistos are municipal, for example in Mexicali, the state capital, they are under the Dirección de Seguridad Pública Municipal (DSPM). In San Luis Potosi a similar set up. Their vehicles are marked as such.

Most State Pólice are crime prevention with no "special" transitos and can give out traffic citations. Federal Pólice can also give out traffic citations as far as I understand it.

I have heard of Federal Pólice giving speeding tickets on the cuotas here.

Had a friend recently get a speeding ticket from Aguascaliente State Pólice not a special "transito State Pólice" etc.

I stand corrected but there are many states that have Vialidad as their traffic police. there is a competition between these states for motorcycle acrobatics and Jalisco usually wins. The Federales do enforce traffic laws too.

P

There does seem to be a lot less griping about the transitos this season.

Has anyone gone for their first time Jalisco drivers license lately? They were really hitting hard with the mordidas when I got mine . Almost no one got out of there without paying a whopping $ 500 pesos.

So what's the going rate ( first time) this year ? Maybe Behnwau could ask his buddy, the comandante.

Archived