Chapala.com Webboard

Going rate for gardeners?

Jistme

We have a tiny garden on a small lot, it requires a hedge trim and lawn mowed every two weeks, about 2 hrs. work. The price quoted is 250 pesos each time the gardener works on it.

This is the only quote we've looked at, and we want to be fair, is this the going rate ?

Thanks.

You will find gardeners rates are all over the place, anywhere between 50 - 100 pesos/hr. It all depends on the level of experience, language capability and amount of tools or equipment that the gardener has to bring to the job. Do you want the gardener to be running around on your behalf to get chemicals, plants, etc.? Also consider in your case that it is such a small job that the gardener is going to be travelling to from your place to other jobs during the productive hours of the day. So in summary, your $250 pesos for 2 hours a week might be a little high but reasonable if he is good and does a lot of "extras" for you.

As Ezzie says, there is really no going rate.

We offered a small gardening job to the husband of the woman who was our maid. He is a construction worker when he can get the work, but doesn't always have it. Like yours, our house has two small areas front and back with grass, plants and flowers. (It used to be done in a casual way by a guy who worked around our neighborhood.) We offered Federico the job at 200 pesos for whatever he could do in two hours or less. Often he brings his son to help. All the equipment needed is already here. He's been coming without fail on Sunday mornings and those two areas look gorgeous. (He also does meticulous interior painting when we need it done.) I think we're lucky to have him and the price is fair.

Lexy

250 for this type of job, since is just once every 2 weeks, might be reasonable. I would say somewhere 200-250.

As noted above, which I agree with, the range is fairly wide and we are right in the middle paying our gardener 70 pesos

an hour. However, since it is REGULAR one hr, 3 times a week, and his travel, etc is easy, it makes sense for

us and if it seems on the high side, it includes maintenance of a small pool. In summary, because your job is once

every 2 weeks, 200-250 isn't unreasonable.

Our gardener also takes care of our pool; we pay for the pool chemicals.

My husband cleans the pool the other days.

We have a small front and back yard with trees, grass and flowers, nothing extreme.

He's here about 45 minutes, once per week, he uses his own gardening tools except for our hoses, and we pay him 150 pesos/week.

If we get him to do more work than usual, we'll pay a bit more.

Wow, I am surprised about the rather high salaries (taking into account the local labour market situation).

As most people know by now, I help expats and Mexicans finding workers, and those wages are not my overall experience here.

2 things to consider (in any kind of employment)

- the number of hours a week, the higher the number of hours, the lower the pay (I helped a hotel here in Chapala finding a gardener and he works 15 hours weekly for about 40 pesos (hourly), which is already pretty good).

- and while a lot of people might be thinking that, by paying people more than average and believing that you are therefore helping out the community, it often actually harms people more, because a lot of expats come to me and admit that they can not afford a gardener,(or other kind of worker), and that on its own will drive up unemployment in the region.

Another thing I experienced at my job fairs..... most job seekers come with high expectations, because they believe that they are all getting rich, working for expats,.... and regularly, people refuse a job,that is lower paid and prefer to be without a job instead.

I do know that a lot of you do it with the very best intentions and I applaud you for that, but also think of the indirect consequences. There are more consequences than you might realize, ... another example,..... if you start high, how much room will that leave for raising the wages after a year, so that it follows the current inflation of close to 5 %, or .... start a bit lower, see how the person performs and add something to it, if he/she is doing an excellent job. You want to keep your people motivated too.

I would rather see a lot of peope working, with a little less income (I am not saying that people should work for hunger wages either ), then a few lucky ones.

Please, check out my blog about my next job fair : http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/

PS... with all respect for gardeners, I really do not see why gardeners have to make more money than the average teacher, for example (not too many teachers at Lakeside make 1850 pesos a week like some of you mentioned,...).

I have helped a local company (not mentioning the name) finding bilingual operators.... that means bilingual, computer knowledge, etc....., working for 1250 pesos a week).

Rony

The pay for a full time gardener at 45 hours per week is $1750 to $1850 per week in our neighborhood. That equates to about $39 to $41 pesos per hour for a full time gardening position. It would be somewhat higher for shorter work periods.

Oh and no one house in my neighborhood needs a full time gardener, rather we share them. I am told as Roni said that we are paying our workers more than they would receive in those areas not populated by us Northerners.

My gardner gets 40 pesos an hour and works 5 hours per week. My tools, and he's a cleaner not a gardner.

Our gardener is a gem - an all around handiman and has been with us 10 years. We pay 44 pesos an hour. But that is just the start. There is annual bonus, vacation, holiday pay, (insurance if they want it), and some day severance/retirement. He gets a 5% raise every january.

Our gardener is a gem - an all around handiman and has been with us 10 years. We pay 44 pesos an hour. But that is just the start. There is annual bonus, vacation, holiday pay, (insurance if they want it), and some day severance/retirement. He gets a 5% raise every january.

What did you start out paying him 10 years ago?

Most people on this post overpay their gardeners and maids probably too. I pay 300 p/week and he comes five times Monday-Friday, he has his own material and takes the vegetation trash with him to make dirt. I give him 50 for gas extra p/week and 40 extra p/hr if he works more than 7 hrs p/week. I buy the dirt from him when needed.

Archived