Chapala.com Webboard

Jose's and Cucumber

ComputerGuy

With visitors here, we've been trekking around and eating at various places. Last week Cucumber's in Chapala (off the plaza) was closed so we ate at Jose's across the walk. Everything was delicious, especially the chili "burgeur", although I will just get the chili alone next time (a hamburger patty is included in the burger).

Yesterday we got back to Cucumber. We recall it having excellent soups and perhaps one of the best Ceasar salads around. I have often said I've never had a sopa Azteca I didn't like... well, they changed that. Now I've had at least one that I wouldn't order again. Apart from being oddly thickened with starch or something, the tortillas were thrown in whole, which made eating very awkward. And the taste was very grainy.

The salad was a beautiful disaster. It wasn't as I remembered it: it was lovingly designed with mini-tomatoes along one edge and cucumbers along the other, yes... but the lettuce was pale and old, and the chicken was mostly dry and chewy. They used to provide their own dressing; this time several were offered, and all were the cheap department-store brand that are barely edible.

On the other hand, pizza at Focaccia's was fantastic.

In my opinion, Jose is the number one cook in the whole Lakeside area, and very consistant + good prices. It is just lovely to sit outside under the trees and watch the life in and around the plaza. Eating there is a moment of pure happiness for me.

Talking about consistancy (again),..... I had the Ceasar salad at the Cucumber (twice) too, and I also liked it better when I had it there the fist time.

What I will never be able to understand is that on Sundays, all the other restaurants on the (Chapala) plaza are full and Jose is not that busy. Although their prices are maybe 10 % lower (the other restaurants), their cooking qualities don't even come close to Jose's. Is it that people prefer to spend a little less, even if the food is not that good...... or, don't they know .... or just different tastes....

Rony

Archived