Chapala.com Webboard

Gyms in Ajijic

DT22

Are there any Gyms with modern equipment in Ajijic which are not stuffy and hot? I tried one but they only had a fan and everyone kept turning it off so it was way too hot to work out. I don't care about classes or yoga or spinning. Just want someplace that is cool enough that I don't sweating before I even start exeecising :-)

I thought the gym over the shops on the north side of the carretera at tempisque was purported to be quite good. There is also a nice chap, a personal trainer, who has a gym solely for his clients. He advertises in the Ojo or Reporter.

Have belonged to Zona Gym on the carretara in Riberas for 5 years. They just recently moved a couple of blocks closer to Ajijic. Now located just before Toscanna Pizza on lake side of road. I've never found it hot. The new building is high ceiling which keeps it cool. Management is super friendly. Equipment ample. Prices reasonable (2 months for price of 1 this month). Just like a family with anglo and mexican members from all walks of life. Try it you'll like it.

Have belonged to Zona Gym on the carretara in Riberas for 5 years. They just recently moved a couple of blocks closer to Ajijic. Now located just before Toscanna Pizza on lake side of road. I've never found it hot. The new building is high ceiling which keeps it cool. Management is super friendly. Equipment ample. Prices reasonable (2 months for price of 1 this month). Just like a family with anglo and mexican members from all walks of life. Try it you'll like it.

They moved into the old Mexico Rustico building.

IMHO the best equipped gym in town. They've moved a number of times but they're still in business. I think this is the best location yet.

If I didn't have my own gym, I'd belong to this one.

I am mainly concerned with the gyms having good fans, and people not turning them off. Most gyms keep the A/C at between 65 and 67 which is a good temperature to work out in. Here of course I assume I will not be able to find any gyms at all with A/C so if it is 75 degrees (or even hotter) in the gym I want, no I NEED, a fan blowing on me to keep me cool enough to be able do an intense workout. When you are outside walking/running you get at least the breeze produced by your movement but walking on a treadmill you have none at all. I seem to be OK doing weights without a fan but for that boring cardio I have to at least be somewhat comfortable or I won't do it!

So,of the gyms mentioned, do any have good fans? And are people willing to leave them turned on?

Or perhaps I need to purchase a standing fan and an extension cord to carry along with me ;-)

I am mainly concerned with the gyms having good fans, and people not turning them off. Most gyms keep the A/C at between 65 and 67 which is a good temperature to work out in. Here of course I assume I will not be able to find any gyms at all with A/C so if it is 75 degrees (or even hotter) in the gym I want, no I NEED, a fan blowing on me to keep me cool enough to be able do an intense workout. When you are outside walking/running you get at least the breeze produced by your movement but walking on a treadmill you have none at all. I seem to be OK doing weights without a fan but for that boring cardio I have to at least be somewhat comfortable or I won't do it!

So,of the gyms mentioned, do any have good fans? And are people willing to leave them turned on?

Or perhaps I need to purchase a standing fan and an extension cord to carry along with me ;-)

Zona has many fans both stationary and fixed. I noticed this morning some of the people at stationary bikes were using fans.

The "are people willing to leave them (the fans) turned on" is a good question and makes me smile a little. At Fit for Life in Mirasol, I'm sure fans are the #1 reason for people occasionally bickering. There are lots of fans. Some people refuse to have them blowing on them, some can't work out without them. I suspect it's a pretty universal gym disagreement. For the most part, people manage to work it out between themselves.

Another vote for Sky Fitness. Great new equipment and friendly staff, including a trainer. Also several classes, including yoga and spinning. A first rate operation PLUS a fantastic view.

Another vote for Sky Fitness. Great new equipment and friendly staff, including a trainer. Also several classes, including yoga and spinning. A first rate operation PLUS a fantastic view.

I do appreciate the response but what about the fans??? the temperature of the place? This is my #1 priority.

As I stated in my first post, I don't care about classes, yoga or spinning. and to add to that, I don't care about a smoothie bar.. or personal training.... or even a view!

I just want good working treadmills, weights, and a fan to blow on me without my neighbors complaining or turning it off!

I guess I will go around this week and make a visit to several of them and see if they offer a trial period. If they do then I will see how the fan situation is first hand!

Been there, done that with 10 machines and 3 fans to share. I agree with your position of wanting a fan and, to guarantee my comfort I wouls seek out a personal trainer. The two that come to my mind are: Willy out by Los Sabino but on the Lake; and Fernando from the B&B Las Flores. Do not happen to have the contact info handy but someone will if you are truly interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont mean to be a prude or insult anyone, but back in the day when i did work out in the states in the 80's I hated the fancy gym's, and the ones I went to had no fans much less AC. I go to work out and sweat and to be in pain, if not I cant call it a work out , I have been to all of the gyms lakeside and still love Jorges place in riberas, I like the owners and the people who go there, plus they have more weight than the others to do what I need to do.

Guest bennie2

i wont go if there are overhead fans. one maybe on the side of the room, & then i can stay away from it. this is the main reason i can not go to classes @the ballroom.

Archived