Chapala.com Webboard

Extending a tourist visa?

Serenity6

There is a crazy quilt of INM policies on whether we can just turn in a Visitante visa (FMM) at a border and immediately get a fresh new 6 month Visitors permit or if we have to leave Mexico. INM offices at the Guatemala border has forced people to exit Mexico for at least a day. The INM office at the Belize border (Santa Helena - Subteniente López crossing near Chetumal) has you park on the Mexican side, change your INM Visitors permit, change your car's Temporary Import Permit, all without ever leaving Mexico. The INM offices at US border crossings seem to vary, with some requiring an overnight stay in the USA, while others process us right away for a new Visitors permit. Messy.

To avoid the mess: Good Luck on extending your current Visitors permit, following AlanMexicali's advice on using the medical problem route.

• 3 months later...

You must exit Mexico and reenter, getting a new Tourist Visa.

Nope, you don't have to exit and reenter. You need to go to any border and walk into the imm office. At least that's what I've done four times. Sometimes you don't even have to so to the border proper. In Loredo there is an imm station 25k south on the hiway to Monterrey.

Good Luck on extending your current Visitors permit, following AlanMexicali's advice on using the medical problem route.

I always say I'm about to marry. Who'd want to get in the way of such a sacred day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived