Chapala.com Webboard

Extending a tourist visa?

Serenity6

Can one get an extension of a six month tourist visa by simply going into the local immigration office? (maybe its called something else). Aside from passport and the visa itself, do I need to bring anything else? How long of an extension can I expect to get? Any costs associated therewith? Any info is appreciated.

Ack. So if I am to ill to leave the country, there is no way to get an extension? What will happen when I can leave, and officials notice I stayed several weeks past the expiration date? Will I get locked up, cavity searched and imprisoned for life?

I would get it all straightened out here before heading for the border. I was here on a tourist visa and was very ill when it expired. I went to a lawyer when I was well, filled out forms (of course) and paid a fine. The fine is based on how long your visa has been expired so it is best to deal with it sooner rather than later..

If you are too ill to travel INM will ask for proof and give you an extension with no problem.

"TMN-E-19 AMPLIACION DE ESTANCIA A TURISTA

(Artículo 160 del RLGP)

En caso de turistas que hayan sido documentados originalmente por una temporalidad menor a los

seis meses, la autoridad migratoria podrá cuando lo estime conveniente, ampliar la temporalidad hasta

completarlos.

Sólo por enfermedad que impida viajar, o por otra causa de fuerza mayor debidamente comprobada, se

podrá conceder un plazo adicional para salida del extranjero.

Cuando la autoridad migratoria lo juzgue conveniente, podrá autorizar la prerrogativa de entradas y

salidas múltiples al país en esta característica migratoria.

REQUISITOS

1. Formato oficial de Solicitud de Trámite Migratorio, debidamente contestado y firmado en original

y copia,

2. Original del documento migratorio del interesado,

3. Copia y original para cotejo40 de todas las páginas del pasaporte vigente del extranjero.

4. Original y 2 copias del pago de derechos correspondiente por el servicio migratorio solicitado."

Google Translation:

"TMN-E-19 EXTENSION OF STAY OF A TOURIST
(Article 160 of RLGP)
If tourists have been originally documented by the lower temporal
six months,[FMM tourist] the immigration authority may if it sees fit, to extend the temporary stay that has been
completed.

Only sickness to prevent travel , or other cause of force majeure duly established, are accepted and they
may grant additional time for departure abroad.

When the immigration authority deems it appropriate, authorize the prerogative of inputs and
multiple outputs to immigration status in this country.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Official Immigration Application Process Form duly filled out and signed ,original
and copy [Tramite]

2. Original immigration documentation,

3. Copy and Original for comparison of all pages of the current passport from abroad.

4. Original and 2 copies of the payment of allowances requested by the immigration service."

Note: [force ma·jeure (fôrs′ mä-zhûr′, fōrs′) n.1. Superior or overpowering force. 2. An unexpected or uncontrollable event-

http://www.sre.gob.mx/austin/Download/MANUAL_TRAMITES.pdf

Ack. So if I am to ill to leave the country, there is no way to get an extension? What will happen when I can leave, and officials notice I stayed several weeks past the expiration date? Will I get locked up, cavity searched and imprisoned for life?

Take a bus back and they won't check

Take a bus back and they won't check

If you can't tolerate a long bus trip, you could also fly to Tijuana on Interjet and include their package that provides the bus across the border which deposits you in downtown San Diego. Then there's no turning in the tourist visa if you walk or roll across the border, only if you fly over it. I am sure there are other combinations if you need to land in Texas instead but you'd end up less close to the border and have to arrange a regular bus trip from the downtown station to a point in Texas which might be way more hassle than going through San Diego.

I can confirm that walking across the border, your tourist visa is not asked for. I stayed over 6 months one time and was a wreck worrying what would happen and denada. Someone had suggested I say I lost it. Once, I pulled it out to turn it in and the agent said, not needed, put it away. I "assumed" in this day and age with all the funding that goes for immigration security, this would all be computerized and show up automatically on a computer but apparently not even close. Now please, no one turn me in.

if you go back to the border area or frontera you are in an area that does not require a tourist visa so you can turn it in and get another one without penalty or problem. on one trip by car we cancelled my wifes tourist visa at the colombia bridge but the guy wouldnt issue another one that day because the one she cancelled had time left on it. the immigration guy said she had to come back the next day to get a new one. so we cancelled the old one and recrossed into texas and drove to the bridge in nuevo laredo and got a new one for her and went on our way. now we cancel on the way out of mexico to avoid this issue.

if you go back to the border area or frontera you are in an area that does not require a tourist visa so you can turn it in and get another one without penalty or problem. on one trip by car we cancelled my wifes tourist visa at the colombia bridge but the guy wouldnt issue another one that day because the one she cancelled had time left on it. the immigration guy said she had to come back the next day to get a new one. so we cancelled the old one and recrossed into texas and drove to the bridge in nuevo laredo and got a new one for her and went on our way. now we cancel on the way out of mexico to avoid this issue.

That works when driving, but if they flew to TJ then took a taxi for about $150.00 pesos to the Otay crossing to the INM building handed in their FMMs and walked over to the entrance to the US immigration building and took a taxi back to the TJ airport and paid $306.00 pesos at the INM booth there for another 180 day FMM in the main area of the airport they would be done in less than about 90 minutes and able to take a cheap flight back to Guadalajara the same afternoon as they arrived.

I have booked flights on Volaris from Guadalajara and back from TJ round trip for $2000.00 pesos lately. About 6 flights daily going to and returning from TJ.

INM officers will not accept FMMs at the TJ airport, they direct you to their offices at either border crossing [2 in TJ] to hand them in.

There are buses to McAllen, TX from Guadalajara. Or, you could fly one hour to Monterrey and take a 3.5 hour bus to McAllen; the station is downtown and the crossing at Reynosa is simple.

I've known people who lost their FMM while on vacation here and simply paid a fee at the airport to get a new one to leave.

If they have a car, it becomes illegal, subject to confiscation, and the deposit is forfeit. The owner becomes an illegal alien, of course. Better to discuss the situation with INM. Odds are that they will help, if the medical condition truly prevents travel. Just being uncomfortable, may not be sufficient.

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that walking across the border, your tourist visa is not asked for. I stayed over 6 months one time and was a wreck worrying what would happen and denada. Someone had suggested I say I lost it. Once, I pulled it out to turn it in and the agent said, not needed, put it away. I "assumed" in this day and age with all the funding that goes for immigration security, this would all be computerized and show up automatically on a computer but apparently not even close. Now please, no one turn me in.

What border was this at? Does a person have to cross the border into the US to get a new tourist visa if their old visa is expired or can they take a bus to the border and get a new tourist visa and come back?

Can anyone recommend a decent(comfy) bus for traveling to the border from Guadalajara? Is it much trouble to get from the bus station to the immigration office and back to the bus station?

If you fly to TIJ, why can't the person just get a new tourist visa at the airport and fly back without having to go to the US side if their visa has expired and no one asks for a visa?

What border was this at? Does a person have to cross the border into the US to get a new tourist visa if their old visa is expired or can they take a bus to the border and get a new tourist visa and come back?

Can anyone recommend a decent(comfy) bus for traveling to the border from Guadalajara? Is it much trouble to get from the bus station to the immigration office and back to the bus station?

If you fly to TIJ, why can't the person just get a new tourist visa at the airport and fly back without having to go to the US side if their visa has expired and no one asks for a visa?

Bus: ETN is very comfortable. Although their restrooms make airplane toilets seem roomy, on a 13-14 hour drive you will be grateful for them. The seats are as comfortable as I can imagine bus seats being. There are only 24 per bus, and they recline pretty far. Bring snacks and an extra drink (they give you one drink on boarding).

60p cab from bus station to border or vice versa (there is an INM office right next to the beginning of the pedestrian bridge).

I think your FMM is tied to your passport number, so they have a record of your old FMM. Whether or not they check and note when you turn it in is debateable. With computers, it gets easier every day to verify things in Mexico. If you don't plan to return ever to Mexico, don't waste your time trying to turn it in.

Bus: ETN is very comfortable. Although their restrooms make airplane toilets seem roomy, on a 13-14 hour drive you will be grateful for them. The seats are as comfortable as I can imagine bus seats being. There are only 24 per bus, and they recline pretty far. Bring snacks and an extra drink (they give you one drink on boarding).

60p cab from bus station to border or vice versa (there is an INM office right next to the beginning of the pedestrian bridge).

Which border do you take the bus to?

There are two borders, USA and Guatemala. Each has multiple crossing points. You must decide which city you want to visit and the bus will determine the crossing point, assuming you take a bus to that city. Buses do not just go to the border; they either go to a Mexican border city, or to a city in the USA, for example.

So, check the various bus lines for their routes to US cities and decide which one is most attractive for the shopping you want to do. I suggest McAllen, TX for ease of access by bus from Guadalajara, and a great mall downtown within walking distance to several hotels.

There are two borders, USA and Guatemala. Each has multiple crossing points. You must decide which city you want to visit and the bus will determine the crossing point, assuming you take a bus to that city. Buses do not just go to the border; they either go to a Mexican border city, or to a city in the USA, for example.

So, check the various bus lines for their routes to US cities and decide which one is most attractive for the shopping you want to do. I suggest McAllen, TX for ease of access by bus from Guadalajara, and a great mall downtown within walking distance to several hotels.

Actually Mexico also has a border with Belize

Archived