Chapala.com Webboard

Need Tiling shop recommendations in Lakeside

Arjay

We need various types of tile for our house and went to Casa del Plomero and the place next to Guad Pharmacy but didn't see anything that knocked our socks off. Do you know of other places Lakeside that you'd recommend?

Thanks.

There is a store on Ninos Heroes in Guadalajara that has a very, very wide selection. The store itself is small because they primarily have samples. I think it is this store: El Rincón del Barro Mexicano, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Rincon-del-Barro-Mexicano/361935750488119?id=361935750488119&sk=info

I would also go to Hilda's bazaar in San Juan Cosala. Drive through San Juan Cosala and, at the west end of the town, watch for the fruit and vegetable store on the lake side of the carretara. Hilda is just to the east of the fruit store. She has very large (and I think they are now red) doors. Hilda has massive amounts of tile, but you are limited to what she has in the store. I don't think there is a sign, just watch for the fruit store.

If you want ceramic tile then I'd go to a bathroom supply store.

I'm sorry I cannot recommend someone local. Years ago we did use someone a few towns away from Ajijic and were screwed. She sold us seconds and did not tell us, we found out in the middle of a large tile job. A lesson learned is that we now only go to Guadalajara. Nino Heroes has store after store of tile and bathroom stores. Better prices, fast delivery. We have been using Deco Ceramica for the last 4 years. Easy to get to - 1346 Ninos Heroes. Lots to choose from and 99% of the time it is all in stock. We have always been able to have it delivered the next day.

Well worth the drive.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also currently in the process of putting down floor tiles. Our contratista sent us over to the Casa Nova store in Gdl, everything there was all modern and contemporary, looked kind of blah and boring to us. We tried several stores along the carretera and also the one along side the Chapala bus station. The store we finally decided on was a new store that just opened a month ago, and I thought they had the best and most interesting selection and the owner was really friendly and motivated to sell, something I can't say about some of the others. If you are standing in front of Coppel in Chapala, walk towards Soriana, the next block after Coppel you will see a Six store and after that a Super Max, the next store is the Tile Store. The prices appeared lower than the other stores too.

If you can get to Ninos Heroes, you will find dozens of stores selling tiles, one after the other. We went and looked at all of them, I think, but ended up buying from a place near Jocotepec. We made sure they were not seconds, that the line and colour would supposedly be available for a while, and that we got a couple of extra cases to cover installation and future breakage. Because even in the same line, the colour can change, and often does, between manufacturing runs.

Archived