Chapala.com Webboard

Hiking poles

There is (or was?) a mountaining-related store a few doors east of 7/11 in Riberas. I'd check there, assuming it's still there. It's between 7/11 and the appliance place, next to the garden store. Otherwise you might contact a member of one of the local hiking groups.

Do you need a designer hiking pole made from fiberglass, carbon fiber, titanium or chromoly tubing? If not, let me suggest you get a four-to-five-foot-length of one-inch-diameter bamboo from your local hardware store. That's what I use. Seems to work just fine. Mine has a neat whipped-rope handle on it for a firm grip. But this isn't necessary. I just like to show off my handiwork.

Do you need a designer hiking pole made from fiberglass, carbon fiber, titanium or chromoly tubing? If not, let me suggest you get a four-to-five-foot-length of one-inch-diameter bamboo from your local hardware store. That's what I use. Seems to work just fine. Mine has a neat whipped-rope handle on it for a firm grip. But this isn't necessary. I just like to show off my handiwork.

And the ladies that sell the clear plastic at the tianguis Wed have rubber stoppers for the bottom at 10 pesos

Store-bought hiking poles can cost from $50 - $150 USD. I just pick up an old mop, take the business end off, and use the handle. I put rubber feet on each end to protect both the end that hits the ground and the palm of my hand. Works great and i have been using this kind of stick to hike in the mountains here for for the last six years. The mop handle is light, strong, and the ideal length for a hiking stick. Total cost is about 6 pesos for the two rubber pieces. I get them at the hardware store a couple of doors from Telmex on the Carretera in Ajijic.

See you on the trails!

I have been in that little sports store just east of 7-11 in Riberas. they had all kinds of things but expensive. I don't know if they are still open as I thought the prices were extremely high. But they will probably have the poles if they are still there. It is in between the 7-11 and the little Garden store on the lake side going east from Ajijic.

If you are talking about trekking poles, I have a pair of Lekis - NOT for sale - and they are worth every penny I spent. They have a shock-absorbing spring mechanism, are fully adjustable and not available at a place like WallyWorld. If you are just looking for a hiking pole, I'd go with the bamboo.

Archived