Chapala.com Webboard

Charged For Broken Bottle of Liquor at Soriana

Today a bottle of liquor fell through the leg opening for the child's seat in my shopping cart at Soriana. I did what I could to say I was sorry, took another bottle and continued shopping.

When I was checking out the manager and a back-up were waiting for me. He gave the broken bottle to the cashier to add to my bill. I was stunned. I don't speak Spanish and the Manager with a back-up was a little intimidating. I paid the bill and left the store.

Is this a common practice to charge long time customers for items that are broken in error?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another board's (NOB) thread on the subject - read others arguing the same points! :-)

http://boards.answers.findlaw.com/index.php/topic/211828-braking-something-while-in-a-store/

To Mountain Mama's point, which is a good one, the customer is not always right....but the customer IS always the customer.

IMHO it sounds like the store could have handled it a bit better, if only from a customer relations point of view.

Sorry, El Saltos. Hensley is right, and you see this sign posted in MANY stores NOB.......

Did you EVER see such a sign in a grocery store, a walmart, or a target? I think not. I was the wine manager for a 28 store company in the NW USA. No client was EVER charged for a broken bottle of ANYTHING, wine, milk, salad dressing, eggs, you name it. NEVER. Nunca. Another reason to avoid SorryAnna.

What if you drink it in the store and put the empty bottle back .... and you don't have any dinero ?

The evidence disappeared.

Guest bennie2

never put anything in the top part of the cart. yes the store was right, it is customary & the customer pays. i can see if it was a really expensive store & you were a top customer & bought many cases of wine. they would let it go in that case. you cant expect managers @ sorianas to be that gracious. it's a chain store & they have to account for the inventory. they are nervous, & proberly responsible for the inventory.

Store's response was over the top IMO. Accidents happen. No doubt the poster will no longer shop there & frankly I won't now either. I'd always be worried a jar of might slip out of my hand? I bump something off a shelf with my cart? Something falls off the shelf when I'm reaching for an item? (None of which has ever happened to me but my toddler did once reach behind from the child seat & toss over a bottle of ketchup. I was mortified but the store couldn't have been nicer , assuring me 'it happens all the time')

Accidental breakage is a normal 'cost of doing business' in a grocery store. No reason to accost customers at the checkout for a few pesos.

And while a moot point of course since we are here and not there, no way a grocery store or liquor store NOB would expect the customer to pay for item in a case like this --- in fact they'd insist it wasn't a problem & not to worry about it

Very Penny wise & pound foolish from a business perspective ...

Guest bennie2

ckelly, big difference w/an owner occupied vs. large chain store. if i broke something in superlake, im sure the owner would not charge me. in sorianas the managers are used to conflicts & fights, so they are prepared. its a lowend store, what can you expect? the prince of england? the poster here still thinks hes in some personal service type of place. not so. the managers work on wage, & dont care if you come back. they get their paycheck & go home. superlake's owner knows his customers, & has a sense of the bigger picture.

Penny wise and pound foolish is a good way to sum it up. I witnessed an incident at the liquor store next to Superlake where a man had picked up a bottle of liquor that was in a decorative box. When he turned it over to look for the price the bottle felt out and broke. The manager proceeded to treat him like a criminal and demanded payment for the booby trapped bottle of booze. It was appalling how she treated this older gentleman. He did end up paying for it but I'm sure he will never shop there again and you know what? I won't either.

Store's response was over the top IMO. Accidents happen. No doubt the poster will no longer shop there & frankly I won't now either. I'd always be worried a jar of might slip out of my hand? I bump something off a shelf with my cart? Something falls off the shelf when I'm reaching for an item? (None of which has ever happened to me but my toddler did once reach behind from the child seat & toss over a bottle of ketchup. I was mortified but the store couldn't have been nicer , assuring me 'it happens all the time')

Accidental breakage is a normal 'cost of doing business' in a grocery store. No reason to accost customers at the checkout for a few pesos.

And while a moot point of course since we are here and not there, no way a grocery store or liquor store NOB would expect the customer to pay for item in a case like this --- in fact they'd insist it wasn't a problem & not to worry about it

Very Penny wise & pound foolish from a business perspective ...

Comparing a bottle of kétchup which costs $30 pesos to a bottle of liquor which costs probably $175 pesos? That´s 6X the loss and not a few pesos loss.

My story with Soriana is quite different..This past December I loaded up my cart with over 30 bottles of wine, (they were having their buy 2 get 1 free sale) I then proceeded to checkout ,paid for my purchases, the girls working that register placed them in plastic bags,2-4 bottles per bag and placed all the bagged wine in the bottom of the shopping cart I proceeded out the front doors and as the cart crossed the threshold lip the rear portion of the cart gave way and 20 or so bottles hit the concrete with 6-7 breaking and spilling their contents in the entry way. Security and an employee responded immediately and helped rescue the unbroken bottles and started picking the broken glass and cleaning up the pool of wine on the ground. Then comes the store manager who with an employee examines the shopping cart and recognizes that the rear metal gate is bent and that the weight of the bottles let the gate fold outward when it is designed to move only inward so the carts can be nested when parked. The manager and security officer examined my receipt and told me to go pick out 7 new bottles to replace the broken ones. They could not have been nicer...The only issue was that we had purchased all of the wine brand that they had bought so he told us to get whatever we wanted as long as the total price did not exceed our purchase price. I do see the difference here from this authors mishap (faulty shopping cart vs inattentive placement of the bottle of spirits in the child seating area (which I have also done with bad results in the States...in removing the bottles from the child seat area at the checkout area several bottles slipped thru the opening an exploded on the floor..again the store personnel cleaned up my mess and replaced the bottles I mishandled without batting an eye even though I offered to pay for them. Maybe the store mgr. overreacted in posters case but why not bite the bullet and pay for your mistake..Just my experiences and thoughts, move on , life is too short to obsess over the little S..T that happens.

All I can say is, NOB you wouldn't have to pay for accidental breakage. I would have left the store and not paid for anything, and I wouldn't ever return. Customers are hard to come by, you don't drive one away over spilt milk.

I would have done the same.

I've had a slightly different problem at Walmart. They often stock their shelves so full that when you take an item off the one beside it fall off. This has happened to me twice in their soft drink section with the plastic bottle (which don't have flat stable bottoms) exploding when it hits the floor spraying sticky pop all over my legs. I would never give them a peso for that in fact I feel they owe me.

Archived