Chapala.com Webboard

El Lago Cafe & Cocina

Pogo

This place was a complete surprise to me. It is located on the top floor of the 3 story building on the northwest corner of Juarez and the Carr. in Ajijic. You take an elevator (or stairs) to enter the fairly bare space inside, but you immediately see what awaits you outside on the patio - a marvelous and unobstructed view of the lake, the mountains and the entire village.

It was gorgeously sunny out there, but each table had a large, orange canvas umbrella to protect it. The tables and chairs were substantial and stylish. As soon as we sat down, a young man appeared with menus and waited patiently while we ohhhed! and ahhhed! over the view. When we were finally settled in our chairs, he asked (in English - we were all from NOB) if we had questions about the menu and then left to allow us to look it over.

The menu included breakfast, lunch and dinner entres as well as snacks and dessert. In addition to beer and wine, latte, cappuccino, espresso, Americano and decaf coffees were available. They have a professional espresso machine. Our group ordered various kinds of coffee and all were pronounced very good. We did not have food, but plan to go back for an evening dinner in the near future. That should be spectacular at sundown on the right evening.

The principle people involved are Daniel Bordem and Lalo Munoz. They are open from 9am to 9pm, Tuesday through Sunday. They may stay open later on Friday and Saturday depending on patronage. There is also a possibility that they will stay open later on LLT theater nights.

Although we haven't tried food there yet, I almost don't care how good it may or may not be. With wine and beer, coffee and cheesecake - and an incredible view - I think I can stay delighted throughout the many visits I plan.

Saw it last night while driving around after 7 pm looking for a place to eat. Memo's closed (death in the family, it seems). El Serape closed. Sope place in San Antonio not serving sopes! Taco'd out, don't like Johnny's "Axixic"... anyway, lots of Tapatio traffic, nowhere to park easily, couldn't tell if the lighted sign meant anyone was there, seemed a lot of effort so didn't attempt it. They definitely need signage down at street level.

How does restaurant right on carretera affects one's dining experience? Noise, fumes etc....?Can you enjoy your meal regardless?

Does anybody care? Just asking.

Example: Dona Lola's: noisy, birds and flies inside, trucks downshifting, fumes and alla that.

Nevertheless: good simple food for a reasonable price; no phony "tastegood" oils; no afternoon of stomach upset. I enjoy my meals there. Nice folks, too. Attentive waitstaff. Sure, it would be better if the setting were in a lovely garden with a palapa and soft guitar music, but sometimes you can't have it all and an occasional Lola's fits into the dining out picture, especially on the quieter weekdays. Forget weekends!

What I don't understand is the popularity of places serving outdoors on the highway with no wall separation from the fumes and noise.

I think Dona Lola's just hits the spot sometimes. Good meals for little money. The two waiters are terrific. And--some of you won't like this--but I crumble up some of the chips for the birds looking for a hand-out. I mean, they're already there so why not?

I don't think a restaurant on the street is a negative. We love Rustica and always get a table by the window, as close to the activity as possible. Love watching the people, roof dogs and everything going on. I hardly think something 3 stories up would bother us and we're looking forward to trying El Lago. Parking a problem nearby? Probably, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to walk unassisted, so hiking a block or two after a meal is good for me. Having an elevator to get up to the restaurant is an interesting touch.

Heather

This AM after the 'Mercado Verde', we went to Daniel and Javier's 'El Lago Cafe & Cocina', on the 3rd floor mirador, panoramic lake and mountain view level of the building on the corner to the carretera Ajijic-Jocotepec at call Juarez. There's an elevator with the top right button labeled 'El Lago' that will take you up to the Cafe.

The menu is one page, and has coffees, lattes, cappuccino, a mixed berry/fruit smoothie, and other beverages at reasonable prices. I had a grilled fresh salmon baguette, while my amiga order quesadillas with chicken with chipotle sauce. We each thoroughly enjoyed our meal, and had the place to ourselves. Low key modern infusion jazz played liltingly in the background. Views of the mountains, Lake Chapala, and rooftops within Ajijic are breathtaking, and varied, as well as the many varied sounds one listens to of daily life in the pueblo. Terrace outdoor tables are shaded with large sun-brellas on the wrap-around terrace, and there's a pleasant, comfortable, indoor shaded seating area for those that prefer seating out of the sun. Every table offers a view whether on the terrace or inside.

We cannot wait to return another day just prior to sunset to experience the pastel array of color that the setting sun washes across the vast expanse of sky, mountains and waters of the lake.

'El Lago' is open 9AM-9PM Tuesday through Sunday, closed on Mondays. We were most pleasingly surprised, and will eagerly plan a return before weeks end. In sharing our commentary, we realize we're letting the 'cat-out-of-bag', and wish these two pleasant, hospitable young entrepreneurs success in the newly launched venture! Muy buen suerte compadres Daniel y Lalo.

Had lunch there with a friend earlier this week. I agree that service is a bit slow but the views and ambiance are delightful! Definitely a fun place to go for a relaxed pace breakfast or lunch.

I understand they had a great Classic Rock band playing there last week sometime and they were outstanding. As for noise and fumes, I didn't notice any. It was nice to watch the traffic and people go by while 3 stories up.

Enjoy!

Valerie :)

• 1 year later...

Today we finally tried this restaurant that we have been driving by each time we go somewhere. It was nearly lunch but we had breakfast. The breeze there was great and the umbrellas can be moved to suit you. It was fun watching the traffic below and we could almost see our house. Anxious to try the place at night to see view with everything lit up.

Most coffee Lakeside is pretty good but this tasted noticeably spectacular to me and I had four cups. My husband ordered an omelet with everything and refried beans on the side. I had an omelet with bacon, ham and cheese. These were the biggest omelets I have ever seen but the egg was light and fluffy all the way through - not over or undercooked. Mine came with a small salad, some homemade lightly flavored dressing, and a nice basket of bread. We finished with one slice of lemon pie.

Our waiter was informative and attentive.

This was quite a gourmet meal and not really expensive - total bill for two three-course meals, coffee and one dessert was about 220P. We plan to return to experience dinner and the lights.

Lunch today,

Only one waiter/cook so no good for groups

Order a burger, got a burger bun with the usual and a slice of steak in it!!

Great views but food only average.

Will they survive the low season??

When I organize a lunch for a group I always let the owner know so they will be prepared for a group!

I have been there before and agree the view is wonderful and nice breezes.

They do serve beer & wine and it is very nice to look out and be thankful for living here in this beautiful country!

maw

Archived