Chapala.com Webboard

Extremely Loud Music

Wookie

Guest bennie2

you are saying that "gossips" is making that party for expats? let me tell you, If the owners are expat, you have a good chance to stop that. i am visiting a friend near by (1 1/2 blocks), i hear very little. gossips is not an evento place. as for "bodega", i dont know if that street is zoned for commericial, especially noisy bands. if the owner is mexican then its not reversable. Rvgingo: chapala was a wkend place for the rich. they had beautiful homes, well dressed professionals, & nice gardens, it has degenerated into an inner city. who would go out of their way to go there? what was was.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lent, schment. There's a large concert starting right now at the Lienzo Charro. I recognize the band from having gone to one of their concerts just a few months ago. I believe they're from Sinaloa. And they're good, too!

Another damn gringo party during Lent? Hardly.

mine too. Some things are truly hopeless.

I've discussed with Hector, the village having the NYC type of fireworks out in the lake instead of cohetes and castillos. it would be safer, more people could enjoy them, it would attract more tourists/business.

He said...never happen the egos involved would never go along

If I needed "New York" fireworks I would live somewhere else. I love the castillos.

Lent, Roman Catholic style, starts on Ash Wednesday and is NOT a joyous celebration. In theory, it's a time of prayer and fasting, a time in which people "give up" favorite things "for Lent". It continues until the memorial of the death of Jesus on the cross on Good Friday and ends on Easter Sunday with the resurrection of Jesus. In a country that's overwhelmingly Catholic, almost everybody knows this.

The idea of Fat Tuesday celebrations and Carnival is to get in one last celebration of excess before Lent begins: a time to eat, drink and grab Mary.

Why anybody would be staging a Mardi Gras or whoop de doo party during lent is a mystery.

I'm assuming the party last week was about someone's personal family situation: a wedding or such.

IMO, Gossips is way off the beam with the proposed hoopla.

The party yesterday at the Charo ring was a quinciera. It was postponed a week because the mother was in the hospital. Justification for a party during lent?

Gossips would be most certainly violating lent. Residents should check if they have a licence and who issued it. I'd be happy to supply a copy of the federal noise law. They should be given a copy. Their licence may be from Chapala or before Hector agreed to supply copies. People have to stand up for themselves.

Guest bennie2

as for the "disco bar", this is what harry means by "attracting tourists & creating jobs". think of all the employment. about 15+ yrs ago they were going to build amusement parks along the lake. they were rejected, but you never know what will come later. if your priority is the mexican ecomomy then all this is good news. you cant have it both ways.

Guest bennie2

he did not seperate venues. the disco bar is a legitimate business, therefore it will employ people. no? the more people who come to the area the more $ is brought in. in addition read loscats comment about how employment cuts down on crime, noise is ok because the businesses help ecomony. if the MO is "tourists" "jobs" "ecomomy"- i think both comments are straight foward, self explanatory. theres nothing to miss, just go to page 3 to see the dialoque. (harry can not choose what kind of businesses open here, or regulate).

Well, I'm so glad to see this thread has been a reasonable and frank discussion of the issues. TX for your comment, Kevin.

"Just today on the way back to our central Ajijic place I saw that Gossip's restaurant has the entire last block of Javier Mina cordoned off for a "Mardi Gras Block Party" with 3 live bands running from 6 p.m. to midnight today. Now I like this restaurant very much, but it's Lent, not Mardi Gras and they have a huge bank of speakers aimed at a residential neighborhood. "
Regarding the above - AGGHHH!!!! I remember they did that a few years ago when the local rock star wannabe was excruciatingly LOUD and annoying, and I lived about 4 blocks from there at the time (about 5 now). This is not good news! TX to all who discussed Lent. It is very rude to the culture here to have loud celebrations once Lent starts. Mexico has freedom of religion, but culturally, it is Catholic, and Lent is part of the rhythm of the people here.
Carnaval is celebrated uniquely in each location, and the whole reason for it beginning a long time ago was that the recent hostile takeover of the previously indigenous lands by the Spanish who forced their religion on the people brought about an "acceptable" form of ritualized rebellion and parody. Carnaval began as an orgy of eating, drinking, and merrymaking before the penitential season of Lent with fasting, etc.required.
Back to the above - I did noticed that the local gringo bands were conspicuously absent - not invited? - in the local and wonderful Ajijic Carnaval, which gets bigger and better every year. The "Nocturnal" evening part of the Ajijic Carnaval is new, and I really intuited that this was initiated after the same gringo blowout a few years ago as a way the real people of the village could keep their own culture prominent, and not run over by loud gringo rock bands.
Please note that all the gringo rock bands play at commercial establishments where someone is making money off it. That is NOT the case for any local fiesta where the people of the village put up their own hard-earned money to create the events. The fiestas are truly the people's choices. If they weren't, they wouldn't be paying for them! And the are FREE to us!
About Plaza Bugambilias - yes, those of us who live near there have heard the very loud, booming TECHNO (very cheaply produced) noise as they tried to get off the ground about a month or two ago! We neighbors are hoping that they will have enough soundproofing to muffle this noise. All of this will get worse as the weather really heats up and we have to keep our windows open all night.
Does anyone in Mexico even know what "sound proofing" is?????
About the quincinera last night - yes I heard that too, but the opening band was quite good, a mambo style, not too loud. Then, in an interlude, some loud techno was played, making me dread the rest of the evening, but then a local banda went on, and I was glad for that. The 3 styles rotated again, and they actually quit a little after 11, which is early for here, as you know.
Birthday parties and quincineras are OK during Lent because why should someone have to suffer just because their birthday falls during Lent? These are big family affairs. Plus, the exact dates of Carnaval and Lent change a little from year to year.
Other than that, it is an affront to the local Catholic influenced cultures to have profit-making loud and public parties during Lent. But, in the All-English Bubble Parallel Universe here, people are oblivious to that.

Guest bennie2

ezpz i am still confused. was the block party a mexican event? or expat? it wasnt so bad, as i was near by. a little louder @ 9:30pm then hardly heard a thing. as for the roof disco, or other events: there is really little regulation in this town. it is what i call honkytonk. if the owners of the disco have the right connections, they can do what they want.

I recently read that the Mexican Government had refused permission visas for heavy metal bands to perform in MX..so to say that this Boom Boom stuff is OK and part of the culture I would suggest is incorrect....most of the eventos I attend have over amplified music, so much as to distort any quality that may have been there to start with

If you want to see if Lent is celebrated just go to the fish market and look at the price of fish, they usually go up during Lent just by coincidence.. Plenty of people are still celebrating Lent and try not to eat meat during that time. Life goes on but carnaval end on the tuesday before Ash Wednesday.

That does not mean there is no music for 40 days but there is no carnaval during Lent because by definition carnaval is the blow out party before Lent.

Some of you seem to be a liitle confuse on Catholic customs. Life goes on duringt but not go crazy like during Carnaval where in some place is a time where everything goes. until the darn Ash Wednesday!.BY the way drinking is not forbidden either just meat.

In my family no one is religious but we still eat fish on Friday and stay away from meat during Lent it is just engrained in the culture and I can assure you that France is really secular.

Hello Bennie, Lent started Wednesday , as I said some people are not getting the concept even if they have been here for a while.,

Lent used to be pretty serious. Voltaire the famous writer was thrown in jail for eating lard during Lent, I know it is not as serious now but sorry Monday is no Lent.

Considering that the rich in Europe mostly ate meat the 40 days with fat or meat was probably saving a whole lot of lives for the people also it is interesting to see that that forced diet came at a time where all the preserved meats were probably coming to an end. The lamb would be born in the spring and it is also interesting to think that one of the traditional meal at Easter was lamb.

I recently read that the Mexican Government had refused permission visas for heavy metal bands to perform in MX..

This is incorrect. The government forced a promoter to cancel a large heavy metal festival in Mexico City next weekend. Firstly, is was over security, then it was food preparation and sanitation

Archived