Chapala.com Webboard

dealing with possessions of the deceased

mexart

A friend of mine is coming to Lakeside to retrieve the possessions of a recently deceased family member. Anyone had any experience getting a car and trailer back out of Mexico. What are the bureaucratic obstacles.

If the ministerio publico is envolved, the friend better gets in touch with them first.

The friend will definetely need the right death certificate (to start with .... some kind of relationship between your friend and the deceased will need to be established in a document), when travelling with that car (not so long ago, I witnessed a situation like that, helping a friend with the translations between him and the ministerio publico..... and it sure wasn't like a walk in the park).

Very likely, there will be less possessions there than when he was alive..... (practically every time, a single person dies alone, from different sides, vulchers will stick out their ugly little necks to steal from the deceased..... so very disgusting).

Rony

Your friend may wish to contact the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara. They can be of assistance, if only to give advice.

Yes, I agree...... the 3 to contact : ministerio publico, consulate and funeral undertaker (he usually has a lot of useful information too).

I just pm'd an answer in more detail about what to do.

Rony

Archived