Chapala.com Webboard

Howard will not run for another term of President

lcscats

Before Howard, LCS had serious fiscal and governance problems and badly needed a management overhaul. It was so bad the membership felt they needed unelected overseers to watch their own elected Board and officers. The Constitution was badly out of date and contributed to the governance problems. Howard's first attempt at fixing this basic issue was rebuffed, as much for political reasons as for weaknesses in the document itself.

Rather than give up, Howard went back to work, came up with another version and that version was approved by the membership. It took effect in December of 2010. This accomplishment required exceptional patience and persistence and Howard and company delivered.

LCS has been challenged and continues to be challenged by external changes that affect its relevance and mission and the loss of membership due to the local "expat" recession, namely that we seem to have fewer prospective members these days because of visa and economic issues. In the face of that, today we have an LCS that is fiscally sound, well managed and making serious progress on both relevancy issues and long standing physical plant problems.

One of the reasons we selected the home we did was because we valued proximity to LCS. Thanks to Howard and the many dedicated volunteers he rallied to the cause, we still have an LCS and it is moving forward. Personally speaking, I am very, very grateful for the talent, perseverance, years of time and effort Howard Feldstein unselfishly gave all of us on behalf of LCS.

Muchas gracias Howard!

It's a bit of a distortion to give all the credit to Howard. First, there was an administration between the bad one and Howard's, the Administraton of Nancy Creevan. She and her team righted the ship. Howard an his team have set a new course. Both deserve our thanks.

Nancy Creevan and her team righted the ship? Nancy Creevan served on the "bad one"--and she didn't think it was bad-- before peter-principaling her way to the presidency. And then she let a rogue board member take over her leadership and make such a mess of things that there was a recall with hundreds of very decent people coming out to vote one way or the other. Yes, decent people., all. The rogue guy got booted out by vote--and didn't leave! But soon left the community.

Please, how stupid to retry this mess, particularly by people who weren't here or barely understand now the miserable circumstances.

Someone will step up to run for the presidency and most likely there will no opposition. In, I think, 2000 Jim Penton ran for president against a physician whose name I can't recall. Penton won. When Howard ran the first time, he was opposed by Charlie Smith, who had already had two terms as president. Howard got out there and worked to win. He did. Second time, he "won" 'cause no one opposed him.

Truly, it's stupid to stir up these things.

Many of us have never heard Feldstein so highly praised in his other Lakeside affiliations.HookEm's and Mainecoones, you luv The Howard. Leave it at that.

Lexy

When Mexican politicians leave office....the new replacements or appointees....heap praise and compliments regardless of whether things got better, worse, everything was stolen or only some was stolen....maybe some of you have finally begun to adopt Mexican culture after all.

Folks whether one likes the management or not as Mainecoon says things have gotten a lot better at LCS and will continue to get better if we get the support we need. I can only speak for the physical plant as that's what I work with.

1.) New flagstone floor in Coffee Clutch area.

2.) New cushions for chairs in Coffee Clutch Area.

3.) More books for sale in Reading room.

4.) Paint for buildings.

5.) Solar power for electricity. (Yea!!)

6.) New screen door for Library workroom.

7.) Camera based security system.

8.) Doubled bandwidth for WIFI.

9.) Rebuilt all computer systems in LCS and Wilkes to windows 7 and hardware upgrades.

10.) Built English learning computers at Wilkes.

11.) Upgraded lights in Public Office.

12.) Added square footage to Coffee area by building sales closet for the LCS table and removing blue closet.

13.) Upgraded lights in Sala.

14.) Established full professional Information Technology department. This is a big accomplishment.

Etc Etc Etc we have been busy and I am sure I missed some major things.

Projects being worked on some financed some not.

1.) Time to do modest upgrade on Bathrooms.

2.) Rebuild lights on site to new standards. Most of our lights use obsolete bulbs not made anymore.

3.) I would like to see hot water added to Coffee area for food prep work and cleaning purposes.

4.) Improve lighting. For example Reading room only has 120w of bulbs for whole room.

5.) Improve lighting. For example in Sala. A little bit dim sometimes.

We try and sometimes we succeed! See something bad? Let us know in the office. Leave a message for

Zed or LCScats. Can't guarantee I can fix it but I can at least get it on the list.

I do apologize for all the missed projects but I think I made the point that LCS is far better physically than

in quite a while. We try!

Good list cats and remember, I am here to help you with the lighting fixtures in the library.

El Salto has a point that my wife also reminded me of, namely that Nancy Creeven also deserves acknowledgement and I'm happy to do so. However, this thread is about Howard and the work he's done for four long, hard years.

I'm off now to go take a little "graffiti walk." The taggers never rest and neither do we.

Thanks Maine. I have not forgot. We have money! We may not need you for Guad trip but will take your help on install. Project is temp on hold til I get some others off the burner.

Nancy still works with LCS and is one of the prime cat take care of folks to this day! She takes our cats to the vet and saves me that pain.

Lots of good folks here!!

Archived