Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente & Working Papers

I get different answers from the Immigration office in Guadalajara and in Chapala when I ask the simple question on need for working papers. One says yes, one says no!!

Are working papers still required if you are Permanente or, like the old Immigrado, are they not required if you are earning employment income here in Mexico.

Does anyone KNOW based on the law versus rumour??

I don't know what you mean by working papers, because there is nothing in the INM law or the lineamientos on "working papers".

All permanent residents (RPs) are required to report any major changes in the life situation, including: changes in marital status, changes in address, changes in work status or employer, etc. There are deadlines for when you have to report the changes:

If you want to work, you have to notify INM. This process and the documentation needed is described at: http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Tramites_LM/Autorizacion_Visas_LM/Visa_oferta_de_empleo.pdf

Additionally, INM has some people go through brief interviews, where you describe what work you plan to do, what responsibilities, etc. You need to formally describe your type of work: professional, researcher, etc.

After about 2 weeks of processing, they sent me an email saying that I had been approved to work, and had me come into the office to pick up a letter saying they had recorded the change in status.

Yucalandia has some things on this: Foreign Resident Requirements for Filing Address Changes or Employment Changes with INM http://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/new-rules-and-procedures-for-immigration-visiting-and-staying-in-mexico/#Foreign%20Resident%20Requirements%20for%20Filing%20Address%20or%20Employment%20Changes%20with%20INM

"Here is an example letter for reporting changes in Address, Employer, Marital Status, etc:
YOUR CITY and State and Date:
Asunto: Cambio de […]
Delegado de YOUR CITY INM ( or enter NAME & ADDRESS OF YOUR INM OFFICIAL)
Instituto Nacional de Migración Delegación (… Regional en Your CITY AND STATE )
Address of your INM office

Distinguido Delegado,

“Por medio de la presente, yo, NAME OF APPLICANT AS SHOWN ON PASSPORT , con E.E U.U. pasaporte numero: INSERT PASSPORT ID NUMBER, solicito el cambio …. la dirección para mi INM Permiso de Residente Permanente, Numero: INSERT INM CARD ID NUMBER FROM BACK OF CARD. Adjunto copias de mis comprabantes solicitados para este trámite.

Bajo protesta de decir verdad.”

============================
And then add the signature line, with your full address, and phone number(s)
and
copies of your supporting documents.

~ Take the letter and the pieza number from your on-line application and your comprabante(s) and copies, (requirements described in Foreign Resident Requirements for Filing Changes with INM ) the and go to INM.

~ Changes in workplace/employment may require 2 or 3 visits, and also require a letter describing your new job, its responsibilities, and new employer’s data.

~ On job changes, after INM approves your change of employer, they will give you an approval letter on your last visit to the INM office.

There is a 90 day time limit (expiration date) for filing changes in address or changes in employer. "

Thank you for the clear answer.

By "working papers" I meant "Lucrative Activities" approval from IMN that allow a person to legally earn income in Mexico via employment or self-employment. Most info available on the web assumes an "employer" but does not clarify situation for self-employment without a Mexican employer.

Not sure why IMN office in Chapala has given a different answer but your response helps to clear up the mystery.

Aha, again different answers from different people!!

Let me clarify the question. This may help, or not.

IMN documentation says that Permanente are allowed to work but there appear to be different categories/documentation required for different subtypes of Permanente.

Most foreigners here have applied for a Permanente on the basis of being retired and receiving foreign pensions.

My question is: if you already have a Permanente based on "non-remunerative activities" (eg. retired with foreign pensions), and you decide to work here as a self employed consultant, do you need to apply to IMN to ensure that your Permanente Visa supports "lucrative activities"?

Aha, again different answers from different people!!

Let me clarify the question. This may help, or not.

IMN documentation says that Permanente are allowed to work but there appear to be different categories/documentation required for different subtypes of Permanente.

Most foreigners here have applied for a Permanente on the basis of being retired and receiving foreign pensions.

My question is: if you already have a Permanente based on "non-remunerative activities" (eg. retired with foreign pensions), and you decide to work here as a self employed consultant, do you need to apply to IMN to ensure that your Permanente Visa supports "lucrative activities"?

Did you read the official INM webpage I listed above? This process and the documentation needed is described at: http://www.inm.gob.m...a_de_empleo.pdf

Really there were no conflicting answers given: El Saltos gave an answer that was consistent with what I wrote above, and both were consistent with information in the Yucalandia article.

You do not get a permit to work. When offered work, you register that employer's information, and what title/responsibilities you will have, and what duties you will perform, with INM as a part of notifying INM that you are starting work.

INM reviews your information, and gives you a letter saying that, yes, your information was accepted, recorded, and you can now start work. This process may also be dove-tailed with getting an RFC from SAT. As Sonia Diaz has pointed out, some INM offices insist that you get your RFC from SAT first, and some SAT offices say to start your registration process with INM first.

Hence: There are no INM "working papers" and there are no INM work permits. Residente Pemanentes do have to register with SAT, and Residente Permanentes do have to register your work, employer, and your work duties at your INM office, and you get confirmation from INM. In my case, I had already been working for a month, within the deadline, so INM had no problem that I had already started work before notifying them.

In the final case you describe as a self-employed consultant, you need to register with SAT, and register your change in working status with INM, describing what you will be doing and at what address.

I did read the info that you had provided earlier and your answer was quite different than the answer from El Salto.

Your clearly state that, if you are working and a permanente, you must register with IMN and get their confirmation/approval.

This is quite different than the assumption that most people are making that a permanente can just work without IMN approval.

Thank you for your response.

Once you are Permanente, you don't need "work papers" or "approval" or "permission" from Immigration in order to work. What you do need to do is notify them of your change in status.

As a Residente Permanente, I believe there are four changes in status that require you to notify them.

1. Change of address

2. Change of work status

3. Change of marital status

4. Change of nationality

Archived