Chapala.com Webboard

Appreciation for Volunteers

luisa

This site and TOB both have long and heated discussions, with lots of finger-pointing, going on about the LCS. I am appreciative of the many volunteers, including board and committee members, who are just doing their best. I may not like everything about the LCS but I do appreciate all the volunteers and I think these web discussions, while very interesting, are pretty mean-spirited in their criticism of the board and committees.

Agree. Folks, if you don't like the place, don't join or renew. If you don't like the management, stand for election at the AGM or volunteer for a standing committee and bring your own point of view to LCS in the right way, not carping from the outside.

Like most volunteer organizations, LCS is always looking for new helpers and ways to fund things. Help out, don't just knock what too few volunteers with too little money have been able to accomplish. Look around at all the improvements, such as the new solar panels that are saving substantial money going forward, the better upkeep and painting of buildings, improved grounds, new offerings like practical seminars on how to deal with the challenges of living here (predatory transitos for example).

I am astounded at what has been accomplished in the last few years, starting with fixing the governance and management issues, by these volunteers. Maybe I just have a better memory than some but I sure remember what it was like back in 2008 and this LCS is way more relevant, managed and maintained than it used to be.

Dan, you have been highly critical of many people in the LCS. I was including you in my concern for the rampant criticism on both boards.

Hardly. I am critical of a small group of unelected people who think they should rule, not advise. and one person in particular who has covered both boards with his distrust and contempt towards our elected Board.

Actually, my focus is on the failure to follow the Constitution of LCS and the institutional flaw in the way this AAC is set up and run. It is not OK with me for unelected people to second guess our representatives who dare to disagree with them and then threaten to "go public" and foment discord at LCS.

The LCS Constitution requires our elected board to be in charge of all committees. It is not in charge of the AAC and that creates an atmosphere where one or several unelected people can use such a group to pursue their own agenda and damage the organization.

False statement Luisa.

That upcoming membership meeting on March 13th will no doubt be boring, but it sounds like some important issues are going to be voted upon.

I don't yet have a strong opinion on the matter of the oversight committee so long as professional outside auditing will be done, but I can see the value of the arguments on both sides of the issue.

Archived