Chapala.com Webboard

1/3 post office box in US for rent

jrm30655

Well Sol y Luna is no longer doing shared boxes. We just got a notice that everyone will be paying $2500 pesos a year for their service. You can keep your same address if you were sharing previously.

It might be time to change to the Ajijic post office.

Is there another option?

Can I just use our house address here in Ajijic?

maw

We just got the same notice. I guess it is time to seriously consider using our local address, instead of a mail forwarding service. I will contact my NoB bank, insurance, etc., to see if that will cause any difficulties. We can change our SS address by simply going to the Legion when the consular representative visits.

I went to Solyluna on Monday and was told that the fees were $1150 for 3 people sharing and $1725 for 2 sharing went back Tuuesday to confirm and they confirmed this again. They even wrote it down for me on their business card. I guess I will be making a trip back to them today.

I received the new rates via email yesterday, Wed. I called and confirmed - new rate is 2,500 pesos with no sharing of mail boxes - he said except for 2 people in the same house hold and that would be considered one fee of 2,500. It was just the clerk and he was reading from something he had been given. So it looks like the clerk at the desk was just told yesterday.

Has anyone tried that new mail service across from Walmart and are you happy with it? What are they charging?

I just signed up with IshopandMail for 14 months (with a 2 month discount as a new customer) for $384 USD. I included friends who need a US address but rarely get mail, and I am interested in having one more person on the account who would share costs. The clerk definitely told me to give him the names of all the people who would be on the account, so they definitely allow sharing.

Well, we can all multiply .. and the $384.00 U.S. is nearly twice the amount of $2500.00 pesos. I believe I am remembering correctly that when we dropped our service at Mailbox Etc. it was $350.00 U.S. but I could be remembering incorrectly because that really sounds like a lot. Anyway, the $194.55 U.S. (using 12.85 exchange rate) doesn't sound too bad if you have important mail that you need to get in a timely manner. I don't know about Ajijic post office, however, we maintain a post box in Chapala and sometimes we get our mail within a couple of weeks of it being sent and sometimes we receive it within a couple of months ... sometimes we don't receive it at all and there have been Christmas cards received in July. :)

I just checked with Handy Mail - $24 per month with a 6 or 12 month contract. With 12 month contract one month free so their total with a one year contract is $264, Sol y Luna is still the cheapest unless you can share at the new Ishopmail facility. But that location is really difficult for me - getting in and out. Will probably stay with Sol y Luna/

Archived