Chapala.com Webboard

Infinitum router lights out

El Cartero

Computer Guy et al much more knowledgeable than I..................

Telmex Infinitum router ethernet light is not illuminated and the 4 ports are non functional.

Replaced router but new one exactly same problem.

Telmex no help. Do not have a laptop or computer to do some of the tests thry recommend. The ones they suggested with aniPad have been done.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Check the following:

1. Do you have power to the modem (power light on)?

2. Is the modem connected to the phone line (RJ11 jack - smaller plug on back)?

3. Is the line working (do you get a dial tone on the line with a standard telephone)?

4. If the modem is good, do you get the DSL light coming on? If not, you need to call Telmex.

Ezzie, 1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Yes, 4. Yes, DSL comes on.

The only light that does not come on is the ethernet. Telmex made the statement they are only responsible for the internet and the phone line thus denying responsibility for ethernet in which to plug in other things like computers and vonage phone etc.

Sparks, will try changing plus, haven't done that.

Thanks

Did this ever work .... or suddenly stopped working?

Connecting a "network cable" to what if you don't have a computer?

Ethernet is for direct connect (via cable) ..... not via wireless

Modem has to be setup with computer before you can access/activate the WIFI via IPad, Iphone .... etc

Yes, it's worked for the past 8 years, well different routers but all telmex. Light went out 4 days ago. Ethernet outlet was used solely for vonage phone. I guess I need to find someone with a a laptop in order to check its set- up. Thanks Sparks

Many tracks to follow here:

IF the wireless is working AND you are getting Internet via wireless:

- if your Vonage box was the only thing connected to the modem via ethernet cable, then only the Vonage box would be suspect... if the Internet light is ON.

- Whether you have a tower PC or a laptop, they both have ethernet connections, and should be tried with the cable.

- it is extremely rare for a cable to "go bad", although it can happen

- the ethernet port light will only come on when a signal is being routed via the cable; having an open-ended cable plugged into a port will not cause the light to come on.

- I have had two dead modems in a row, but again, pretty rare

Note that you actually don't need a computer to set up wireless on a tablet or any other mobile device. A working modem will broadcast the wireless signal. However, if that wireless connection is not carrying Internet (because the modem is not receiving it) then being connected wirelessly doesn't matter.

The Internet light will not come on if the DSL light is not on. Flashing DSL and Internet lights indicate signal traffic.

TelMex is responsible for ensuring that your Internet is working, and to do that they need a computer with which you can access the modem's software.

I find it to be a disturbing trend that more and more tech support calls are ending in "that's the best speed you can get in your area" and "that's not our responsibility". I've had many TelMex techs go above and beyond when it comes to hooking up third-party routers, Vonage, and the like, over the years.

Computer Guy knowing that the infinitum ethernet light only came on if, in this case, the vonage phone was working it only made sense to re-boot the vonage modem. Wiff-boom-bam and and everything is working thanks to you. If you ever want to run Telmex you have my vote - big time thanks.

You advanced to the next level yourself... nice work. You can be my CEO. The big Internet "fix" often only involves rebooting the modem. With Vonage, rebooting the Vonage box usually after you have rebooted the modem (allows it to get the new address it needs from the modem).

Also, many people have their modem plugged into the Vonage box, then the Vonage box plugged into their PC. This is what Vonage's directions usually show. That was good in the old days, when a modem did not have four ethernet ports. It is better to have the PC plugged directly into the modem, as well as the Vonage directly into the modem. Except when you are wireless to the PC, of course.

• 2 years later...

Hello ComputorGuy,

I also have issue with  Infinitum router. I have WIFI and internet. My Magic Jack quit working today. After I rebooted the router (unplugged and plugged back in)

I noticed the little green light by "VOIP" is not on. The power, DSL and internet lights are on. Any suggestions?

Thank you

That VOIP light is for use by the modem, not your MJ. These new TelMex modems have that capability built in, but no way to use it that I can find. Ol' Slim is a little late to the game.

You need to unplug your MJ from power after you reset or restart your modem, and plug it back in, and give it a few minutes to grab the IP info from the modem. If it quit working before you rebooted the modem, try the same thing, but also check the steadfastness of the cables and that your phone is hooked up properly. I did a Magic Jack today, for the second time in the same house, that had only a little bit of looseness on the ethernet cable jack at the MJ... and it sprang back into life.

Archived