Chapala.com Webboard

2014 Driver License Fees and Renewal Process

PULELEHUA

Renewal: May renew early but only within 15 days of expiration date.

Step 1: Make payment by presenting current (Jalisco) driver’s license at the Recaudadora in Chapala

Located at Calle Degollada 302 (South side of street/ ½ block west of Gonzalez Gallo

(See 2014 Fee Schedule below) The payment receipt is conveniently valid for 12 months.

Step 2: Proceed to Transito Office at Flavio Romero 405A – Northeast corner with Guerrero; a 2 story

Brick building. Licensing office is on the left as you enter

Step 3: Present original Jalisco drivers license + emergency phone # + the following original & 1 black and white copy of:

a. CURP

b. PASSPORT

c. LEGAL STATUS: Permanent/Temporary Resident card

d. PROOF OF RESIDENCE: CFE/TELMEX/WATER bill within past 90 days

2014 FEE SCHEDULE in Mexican Pesos:

NEW RENEWAL

Motorcycle 275 210

Automobile 500 420

Chauffeur 565 500 (for driving pickup trucks/light trucks)

The license for chofer includes driving a camioneta. Camioneta means not only pickup and light truck but also SUV and station wagon. Be sure that you are licensed for the vehicles you drive.

Try a bank stmt, they have been known to be sticklers for something in your name

I had the same issue with no utility bills in my name. I did have a Bancomer statement in my name but they did not take it for proof of residence. I had to get a "Comprobante de Domicile" at Chapala City Hall. This is a document that the Chapala government will give you for 35pesos that states your residence. You need your INM card, passport, etc to get it.

They should have accepted the bank stmt as it is on the official list of residency documents

C. Comprobante de domicilio vigente no mayor de 90 dí­as. Que coincida con algun apellido del interesado (Recibo de luz, predial, telefono, afore, sedar, estado de cuenta bancario, tiendas comerciales ó departamentales o constancia de domicilio expedida por el Ayto. a donde pertenece el interesado).

http://www.jalisco.gob.mx/es/tramites/4828

My husband and I obtained Mexican drivers licenses in Guanajuato state and they expire this year. Does it matter in getting a renewal that the current license is in another Mexican state?

Will we be required to take the driving test? The written test?

We are both Permanente status.

You always had to take the written test but did not have to take the driving test if you had a valid license. The law says the Normas Técnicas Vigentes emitidas por la Secretaría govern the testing but I cannot find that right now.

I believe it is the dual wheeled in back pickup trucks that require the higher level lic.Also known in US/Can as 1 ton pickup.

That is not correct,drivers of all types of pickups are required to have the (chofer) license.

Chofer license is for all pickups

III. Chofer en un tipo:

a) B+E La licencia de este tipo autoriza conducir camionetas tipo pick up y todos los comprendidos en los tipos B1 y B2 de uso privado construidos con capacidad de no más de quince pasajeros incluido el conductor, hasta 3000 kilogramos de carga; con una edad mínima para obtenerla de dieciocho años cumplidos;

II. Automovilista en sus siguientes tipos:

a) B1 La licencia de este tipo autoriza conducir automóviles de uso privado construidos con capacidad de no más de ocho pasajeros incluido el conductor; con una edad mínima para obtenerla de dieciséis años cumplidos; si un menor de edad tramita este tipo de documento corresponderá a un permiso provisional para menores de edad; y

B) B2 La licencia de este tipo autoriza conducir automóviles de uso privado construidos con capacidad de no más de quince pasajeros incluido el conductor; con una edad mínima para obtenerla de dieciocho años cumplidos.

Renewal: May renew early but only within 15 days of expiration date.

Step 1: Make payment by presenting current (Jalisco) driver’s license at the Recaudadora in Chapala

Located at Calle Degollada 302 (South side of street/ ½ block west of Gonzalez Gallo

(See 2014 Fee Schedule below) The payment receipt is conveniently valid for 12 months.

Step 2: Proceed to Transito Office at Flavio Romero 405A – Northeast corner with Guerrero; a 2 story

Brick building. Licensing office is on the left as you enter

Step 3: Present original Jalisco drivers license + emergency phone # + the following original & 1 black and white copy of:

a. CURP

b. PASSPORT

c. LEGAL STATUS: Permanent/Temporary Resident card

d. PROOF OF RESIDENCE: CFE/TELMEX/WATER bill within past 90 days

2014 FEE SCHEDULE in Mexican Pesos:

NEW RENEWAL

Motorcycle 275 210

Automobile 500 420

Chauffeur 565 500 (for driving pickup trucks/light trucks)

How do I present an emergency phone #? Just got my regular landline.

• 3 months later...

I have been dealing with the licencing office for about 6 years in getting new plates and transferring ownership of vehicle as well as getting my yearly sticker. I am now used to making TWO trips for whatever I need. Even bringing in the same documents as before, there is always one more document (+ copy) they want. If you go early and the nearby copy shop hasn't opened, there is another on Flavio Romero across from SP that opens early. No use getting upset about it. Just recognize that that is one of those things you can't change, therefore you have to change. If it is the busy time of the year when there are line ups, take a book and a bottle of water and enjoy your reading time.

they required original proof and copy of blood type when i renewed in Jan. they wouldn;t take my word for it.

Your blood type is on your old license if that's not sufficient then they have little faith in their own documents. CURP number is located, I think, on your Resident Status Card. Have never gone through this dance when renewing in Guadalajara.

Your blood type is on your old license if that's not sufficient then they have little faith in their own documents. CURP number is located, I think, on your Resident Status Card. Have never gone through this dance when renewing in Guadalajara.

my old license said - no sabe

Even though Bank statements are on the "official list" in this day of identity theft and bank theft it is really not wise to use them. It gives uncontrolled access to your financial information, including bank account, address, balance, full name and other private information and embedded codes that the banks use. If it is all you have for ID, please black out all that information. Those copies are kept in undsecured storage where people you do not know can access them.

FYI Las Aguilas in GDL on Lopez Mateos near Patria is far more efficient for renewing your drivers license. You can usually get processed in 1 or 2 hours instead of 3 or 4 trips. A very different experience than what is provided here. Chapala can be very sticky here about unecessary things and usually require multiple return visits for a renewal. A most arbitrary and inefficient process that seems to be mood dependent (do I or don't I feel like processing this customer today).

Las Aguilas happily accepted my colour copies, inclduing a copy of my official government issued CURP (rather than the internet print of indeterminate origin required by Chapala) and they happily took a Telcel bill as proof of address (they also take CFE and Telmex). They smiled a lot and were very polite.

Archived