Chapala.com Webboard

what is the name of this climbing plant

doberwoman

Thunbergia grandiflora. Commonly just called Thunbergia. Other common names are Sky vine, Blue trumpet vine. Originally from India.

Thunbergia, they come in blue and pink and I just saw a beautiful one in a hotel in Chiapas that has flowers that look like lilies or orchids , they are red and yellow. The owner said he got his in Guatemala they were very different as far as the flowers go but the leaves were similar and we were told they were Thunbergia. Check thunbergia mysotensis for the red and yellow one.

By the way the blue one is pretty invasive and I ended up taking it out fro one of our walls.

They are selling the yellow ones at the nursery south of Superlake. I've planted 3 and can't wait to see them flowering but it is too soon yet.

The lake chapala garden club has a good resource page for the common flowers. A good place to check first. http://lakechapalagardenclub.org/botanical.html

Excelent site! Thanks.

The thumbergia mysorensis needs to be grown on something in which the flowers can hang down from. I have mine on a porch with curtain rods so it hangs beautifully. A raised horziontal trellis above a sitting area would also be very nice. Not as invasivie as the t. grandiflora, but it is strong grower.

The thumbergia mysorensis needs to be grown on something in which the flowers can hang down from. I have mine on a porch with curtain rods so it hangs beautifully. A raised horziontal trellis above a sitting area would also be very nice. Not as invasivie as the t. grandiflora, but it is strong grower.

I agree with you . Grandiflora is too messy for me. I love the thumbergia mysorensis...very exotic looking.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2wom9z9.jpg

Archived