Chapala.com Webboard

Importing Suzuki motorcycle into Mexico?

southland

It is a lot. I looked at bringing a KLR 650 of value $3500 in and it was going to cost another $700 plus the cost of moving it. Then if you want to plate it Mexican, it is another big bunch of money.

There's a big bike market in GDL. If you buy Mexican and buy your bike in the same state you live in, plating it is cheap and easy and you don't have foreign plates that make you stand out and a target for the crooked traffic cops.

Before you import, check out what might be available here.

I know lots of mexicans and foreigners who have imported all kinds of motorcycles. Its worth a few extra dollars to keep a bike you know. A couple of friends of mine recently purchased Harleys in Texas. About a year ago a Mexican friend bought 2 relatively new Japanese crotch rockets at auction in California for the price of one in Guadalajara.

I also know lots of bikers with foreign and out of state[Mexican] plates.

I didn't say he couldn't do it, i said it was expensive. And it is better to have Mexican plates no matter what you're driving. OTOH, if you are comfortable riding with U.S. plates and you are here on a Temporal, you can get a temporary import sticker that will be good for as long as you are Temporal and that costs almost nothing relative to full importation. You just need to make sure that you do the Aduana notice each time your Temporal renews.

Some of the guys I ride with have imported their motos. it was worth it to them. Some are riding on TIPs. After looking at importing versus buying Mexican, it worked out better for me to buy Mexican. I bought a BMW bike that would have sold for maybe $1500 less in the U.S.

No trying to keep up U.S. plates, no invitation to transitos to pull over a "gringo" and try and shake me down. When I'm on the bike in full riding/safety gear, they haven't a clue that an expat is driving the bike. I like that.

It's all in what you are comfortable with. I'm happy that neither my car nor my moto have foreign plates.

Thanks for the replies.

You both raised points I had considered.

I also was looking for the government tables of importation duties, similar to the vehicle importation tables.

Is there a table for motorcycle values, and is it 10% of the value like for vehicles?

The problem I find is that MX bikes are high mileage (used for primary transport) but US bikes are often stowed in garages for a few years until they're sold. Thus, getting a used Texas motorcycle with low miles for $3,500 makes more sense than paying $7,500 here for a new one, if I can get it imported and plated for less than $1,000.

I guess I am trying to get started with the nuts and bolts of importation of a motorcycle and having a hard time finding any info on the Internet. I am Permanent Resident status so I will need to import, pay the duty, register it in Jalisco.

Also, besides Anuncios on the Internet, are other good websites available listing used motorcycles in Guadalajara?

Thanks for the replies.

Southland, I brought in a 07 Honda "Crotch Rocket" from Cali in 2009. I have been stopped over 10 times for MANY infractions (All of them my fault). I have never paid a peso of mordida and I have never gotten a single ticket!!!!!

I understand your position regarding cost and the condition of the bike. Mine had 500 miles and it was $5000. The same bike here in Mexico would have had been 7K with lots of brutal miles.

Having said all of the above, I would have to agree with Mainecoons. Having a Mexican plate is the way to go. I have tried to obtain Mexican plates,,,,,,BUT, right now most brokers want to talk "cars" rather than bikes. The fact that the bike is already here, makes it less profitable for them (transport fee).

BTW, after you arrive be sure and look me up as we have a group of simpatico local riders and we take some neat day rides, plus we'll be departing on February 24 for an extended ride through the center of Mexico and around the Yucatan. We'll be riding for three weeks and the schedule is set up to make sure we can do a lot of sight seeing and going to the beach in the Yucatan.

My Mexican 2006 R850R BMW had 6K miles on it when I bought it and it looks and runs like new. You can find lower mileage bikes here, all those weekend riders out of GDL who have to have the latest thing really don't put all that many miles on their bikes.

• 5 years later...

Unfortunately, I’m looking for a Can Am Spyder RT Limited in the 2014 to 2015 years and cannot locate a single unit in all of Mexico.  Texas, OTOH has many to choose from.  I’d like to find an official formula for nationalizing an import.

You could contact Abogado / Attorney at Law Azucena Bateman Campos. She is located at 16 de Septiembre # 11 Ajijic.   376-766-1654

Azucena  speaks English and has done car imports and has broker contacts in Texas and  has worked with many expats on legal issues and has a good reputation.

I had worked with Azucena on importing my 2009 Honda Accord and was quoted $2,400 US  well over a year ago. I chose not to import and will be buying a new car in Mexico later this year. I also have a 2003 BMW RT1150 ( with expired US plates ) that I will be riding to Texas in May to sell.

Best of luck

On 3/10/2019 at 7:09 AM, Mitch said:

You could contact Abogado / Attorney at Law Azucena Bateman Campos. She is located at 16 de Septiembre # 11 Ajijic.   376-766-1654

Azucena  speaks English and has done car imports and has broker contacts in Texas and  has worked with many expats on legal issues and has a good reputation.

I had worked with Azucena on importing my 2009 Honda Accord and was quoted $2,400 US  well over a year ago. I chose not to import and will be buying a new car in Mexico later this year. I also have a 2003 BMW RT1150 ( with expired US plates ) that I will be riding to Texas in May to sell.

Best of luck

Thanks Mitch.  I’ll contact Azucena.

Archived