Chapala.com Webboard

DB Levels at Adelita

I live a couple of blocks away from a primary school, I hear their announcements and assemblies as if they were next door to me. It is not annoying but I have to wonder what type of damage is being done to those young children's hearing at those levels and being inside concrete rooms where there is nothing to absorb the sound other then the children. I wonder if the parents and staff are aware of the potential hearing problems their children may face down the road?

Once again, how they solved this in Puerto Vallarta was they passed a municipal bylaw that the db's in a residential dwelling, measured standing in the middle of a room, could not exceed 62 decibels. That way, if someone tried to start a hub cap stamping factory in their backyard - they were easily shut down. Also, someone has to talk to reglamentos about punishing the offenders by denying them evento licenses (wedding receptions, birthdays and the like). If they are caught without an eventos license for that specific event they pay big time fines and in a short time their license will be revoked.

My experience is that it is impossible to change things. The offending parties will always play the "it's just rock and roll" card, and they complain about the "squares" and "church ladies". Sort of an amateur production of "Footloose" - except with drunks!

I am agin loud anything in the wee hours, but I have to side with the businesses on this. They're just trying to make a living, right, in a small group of towns that were not set up for the lifestyle we live here today. In the years I've been here, pretty much all the roosters and pig farms have been pushed out of the towns with the influx of new people, and along with them the noise and smells. Given time, things will gel.

Archived