Chapala.com Webboard

Making a post on ipad

Betsy

I have a problem when making posts on this site on my iPad. I will be typing along and then it won't let me type anymore. I can move the cursor around but can't type anymore words.

I'm wondering if any of the 'puter geeks have any suggestions or if anyone else has this problemo.

Thanks!

I frequently post from my iPad--they are the posts that are especially incoherent because of my typos. Here are two possibilities: your screen needs to be cleaned, or your response gets slow or even frozen. In that case, limit the amount of other stuff you have running in the background.

I frequently post from my iPad--they are the posts that are especially incoherent because of my typos. Here are two possibilities: your screen needs to be cleaned, or your response gets slow or even frozen. In that case, limit the amount of other stuff you have running in the background.

I am not sure that cleaning the screen, as suggested above, will make any difference but it never hurts to clean it anyway. Turn the iPad off and use a slightly damp micro-fibre cloth. Never use Windex or any other kind of chemical cleaner.

To turn off apps running in the background, depending on which model iPad you have, do the following:

1. Older iPads: Double click the Home button. Icons for all the apps that are running will appear below the dock. Press on any one of these and they all will start to wiggle and have an "-" in the corner. Tap on the "-"and the app will close. The app is still on your iPad; this just turns it off completely.

2. On newer iPads running iOS 7, double click the home button. All the apps that are running will appear in the centre of the screen. To close just put your finger on each and swipe up. You can scroll horizontally to access and turn off all the apps that are running.

You might also try a hard reset if the problem persists: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously and keep holding until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the message with the red arrow pointing to the right. Once the logo appears, you can release the buttons and the iPad will restart.

I have had that problem, too. It happens in other programs and I think it is that I slightly move my finger which seems to "upset" the keyboard. Not a nice happening when I've typed a lengthy passage. I'm learning to hold my hands better so as to not brush against any other part of the screen.

Carol

I believe this started when I did the iOS 7.0.4 update ....and I have noticed that it happens on other sites too. I can write a paragraph and then it just stops typing. If I counted the characters it would probably be the same every time.

I have searched the problem and possible solutions on line but so far I have only found where people have encountered the same issue but with an external keyboard. I'm using onscreen keyboard .

When it happens I can cut what I have written, leave the page then go back to it and start over. I finish what I wanted to wire first and paste the part I cut on to the top. If I paste it first and then try to finish it won't do it.

Pretty sure the iOS 7.0.4 update is the culprit...

The upgrade can certainly cause havoc, but Apple knows this. On the Apple website, you are asked if your problem started when you upgraded to iOS 7. If that's the case, you are allowed free phone time with an Apple tech who will walk you through what you need to do to fix it. My problem was very different from yours when I called Apple. I was on the phone with the tech for more than two hours, but he instructed me, I did what he said, and the problem was fixed. Call them!

I believe this started when I did the iOS 7.0.4 update ....and I have noticed that it happens on other sites too. I can write a paragraph and then it just stops typing. If I counted the characters it would probably be the same every time.

I have searched the problem and possible solutions on line but so far I have only found where people have encountered the same issue but with an external keyboard. I'm using onscreen keyboard .

When it happens I can cut what I have written, leave the page then go back to it and start over. I finish what I wanted to wire first and paste the part I cut on to the top. If I paste it first and then try to finish it won't do it.

Pretty sure the iOS 7.0.4 update is the culprit...

Nothing to do with iOS 7.0 and subsequent updates. I have installed 7.04 and do not have thiis problem. I'd be interested in what More Liana's issue was as I know some people had problems after installing the new iOS 7 but I was able to resolve them.

Not everyone had my problem, either--but many people had many problems upon installation.

My problem was that iOS7 requires a passcode to open the iPad. When I did the upgrade, the system did not offer an option to choose a passcode. I couldn't open the iPad past the screen where the passcode needs to be entered. It took the Apple tech more than two hours on the telephone to figure out how to work around that problem to get to a point where I could actually choose a passcode. No problems since.

It never occurred to me that my situation was caused by the upgrade. When I went to the Apple help site, it was a matter of trying to figure out what was going on. I got lucky. I suspect Betsy might well get an answer to her problem from those guys. If they tell her it is unrelated to the upgrade, then they will also tell her where to go to resolve the problem.

Not everyone had my problem, either--but many people had many problems upon installation.

My problem was that iOS7 requires a passcode to open the iPad. When I did the upgrade, the system did not offer an option to choose a passcode. I couldn't open the iPad past the screen where the passcode needs to be entered. It took the Apple tech more than two hours on the telephone to figure out how to work around that problem to get to a point where I could actually choose a passcode. No problems since.

It never occurred to me that my situation was caused by the upgrade. When I went to the Apple help site, it was a matter of trying to figure out what was going on. I got lucky. I suspect Betsy might well get an answer to her problem from those guys. If they tell her it is unrelated to the upgrade, then they will also tell her where to go to resolve the problem.

Here is a solution to one of the issues encountered when upgrading to iOS 7.0 and the iPad freezes and/or asks for a passcode which you did not set.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears, release the Home button.

5. iTunes should alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then click Restore to restore the device.

Archived