Chapala.com Webboard

Nopales for acid reflux ...and much more

Betsy

So I have had terrible reflux at times and I have discovered that a liquado made with lightly cooked nopal and water is the absolute best thing for that problem. I don't like to take pills and love natural solutions when I can find them. Evidently the slimy stuff (Baba) is what does the trick.

It also keeps you " regular " ..... which is a problem for me in the winter because I don't get very thirsty and can't manage to choke down enough water. I have a liquado made with 1/2 cup of lightly cooked nopales and an equal amount of the water they were cooked in every morning on an empty stomach...I haven't had either of the afore mentioned problems since I took up this habit a couple of months ago.

I have read that they should not be used at the same time you take medications because the Baba can block the absorption

I eat tortillas made of nopales every day. And start the morning with Chia in my oatmeal (makes me very regular .... ) ......all healthy and Mexican.

I know people who had high cholesterol and stated eating nopales to lower it. Eventually it lowered their cholesterol more than the medicines they were taking and they got off the medicines. I imagine the capsule form of nopales works also.

Where can you get nopales capsules? I have really bad GERD, but I can't handle the slimelike texture of cooked nopales.

I think I bought a bottle at a drug store or health food store a few years ago. I guess it has to be one or the other.

I developed a bad gallbladder and one symptom is acid reflux or GERD. Why not try drinking some beet juice or eating beets before you have a meal and if that keeps you from having GERD then it is your gallbladder.

My recipe for beet juice and it isn't bad:

I microwave a beet on medium for about 5 minutes to make it easier to cut and it cooks faster.

I cut it up and boil until the water is as red as it will get. Pour over ice and add lemon and sweetener.

If you have a juicer use it.

Drink it before you eat and it will stop the liver from producing bile which will keep the GERD and acid reflux down, also the beet juice is very good for your skin.

I think I bought a bottle at a drug store or health food store a few years ago. I guess it has to be one or the other.

I developed a bad gallbladder and one symptom is acid reflux or GERD. Why not try drinking some beet juice or eating beets before you have a meal and if that keeps you from having GERD then it is your gallbladder.

My recipe for beet juice and it isn't bad:

I microwave a beet on medium for about 5 minutes to make it easier to cut and it cooks faster.

I cut it up and boil until the water is as red as it will get. Pour over ice and add lemon and sweetener.

If you have a juicer use it.

Drink it before you eat and it will stop the liver from producing bile which will keep the GERD and acid reflux down, also the beet juice is very good for your skin.

Thanks. I actually had my gallbladder removed in 2005, after a year of them not knowing what was wrong with me (didn't show up on the normal tests) and in the meantime my developing GERD and a hiatal hernia. However, I might have to try the beet juice. I actually really like beets, a lot. Just never thought to drink the juice...

Thanks. I actually had my gallbladder removed in 2005, after a year of them not knowing what was wrong with me (didn't show up on the normal tests) and in the meantime my developing GERD and a hiatal hernia. However, I might have to try the beet juice. I actually really like beets, a lot. Just never thought to drink the juice...

You can eat the beets and skip the juice. The beets keep the liver from producing bile or less of it and that will stop the acid reflux or GERD and beets are good for you. Eat the beets before you eat. It should help.

The slime was and still is used as a paint sealer so it may be what the stomach needs. I found out that potatoe juice also helps...another great gourmet delicacy!

I looked up how to create potato juice and as much as I love potatoes I think the beet juice looks more appetizing. Borscht or a beet soup is even better.

A juicer might make it better but below is the recipe for potato juice I found online and it is yucky:

http://www.diethealthclub.com/therapeutic-value-of-different-foods/potato-juice-helps-in-reducing-stomach-acid.html

Potatoes are beneficial for stomach ulcers, duodenum ulcer and stomach acidity. Extract the juice of potatoes. This can be done by slicing the raw potatoes and sprinkling salt on the potato slices. Keep it over night. Drink the juice that gets collected next day. Drink ½ cup of raw potato juice at least 3 times a day for beneficial effects.

Archived