Chapala.com Webboard

Botanical Gardens in Guadalajara?

Ezzie

I have a visitor coming soon that is asking if there are any botanical gardens in Guadalajara that can be visited by the public. Anyone who is into plants (not my thing) know if there is?

The Japanese Garden in Parque Colomos is somewhat nice, there is a park in Comala, Colima, called Eco Parque Nogueras which has a lot of plants from the region.

And come to think of it, there should be a Botanical garden in this area, the weather all year round is wonderful.

If you would like to consider going as far as San Miguel de Allende, they have a beautiful cactus garden at the top of a hill overlooking the river ravine. The founders spent about $15 million USD accumulating cactii from all over Mexico, and they are labelled. It is a beautiful place even if you do not like cactii. If your friend is looking for bragging rights to having seen a great collection, and would like to see a beautiful city in Mexico, it is well worth the trip. There is also an old hacienda on the outskirts of Guanajuato--another beautiful city and it is on the way to San Miguel de Allende and the hotels are cheaper than staying in San Miguel--and Guanajuato has an old hacienda on the outskirts of town that has *to me( a beautiful walled garden on the English variety, altho the plants are not much. A nice plan is to stay in Guanajuato for the night, see Sam Miguel the next day and perhaps stay over one night, and then back to Guanajuato.

There IS a botanical garden in Guadalajara, on the campus of the Univ of Guad. Easy to get to. Take Lazaro Cardenas west like you were going to (old) Costco. Exit at Patria and go north to Pablo Neruda and take a left. Just past the guard post you will see a little one story building on your left and drive into the property.

Archived