Chapala.com Webboard

Can I get another temporal after 4 years

deanne

Yes. Search some of Spencer's previous posts where he described allowing the RT visa to go beyond the expiration date at the end of the 4'th year, and then you go into your INM office, pay a small fine, and apply for a new RT visa, without going to a Mexican Consulate back in your home country.

I would bet that by the time many people complete their future 4'th years, INM may have a new work-around, but who knows.

I am not sure that is correct. It may be the way to go to Residente Permanente, but I think the Temporal cannot be renewed or obtained in Mexico.

Can you qive a reference to the posts you mentioned, which might clarify the matter?

Excellent point. I can't get the search engines to turn up anything that fits, except a reference on Mexconnect to Spencer's approach, so I think it's better to wait for Spencer to explain what options are available, how they work, and what possible drawbacks exist (like if your TIP expires when the earlier residente temporal expires and do you lose the TIP or deposit when getting a new residente temporal), or maybe I mis-remember Spencer's details.

Technically you have to leave the country which I did last Sept, dragged the trailer and turned in the TIP and came back in. However, Spencer did say there was a way you could pay a "fine" and restart the cycle, so it apparently can be done. But as noted, it will change in a year or two, so who knows?

If this could have been done, I would have done it. Maybe the rules have recently changed? When my temporal of 4 years was due to expire, I was told by immigration (and so was everyone else I know) that I HAD to go to permanente unless I wanted to re-apply for temporal from outside of Mexico. Why else would we all have been freaking out over having to drive our foreign-plated cars out of the country (which I did)?

I would hope that, if they are looking into it, they would simply grandfather the vehicles of those who become residente permanente. That would solve a world of hurt for some folks. It would not be hard to allow those vehicles to be nationalized without going to the border, and at minimal expense, no matter their country of origin.

This was Spencers answer:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

You don't have to leave the country, just let FM3 expire, pay 2500 pesos fine, pay regularization fee of 1000 pesos as well as annual fee and if you have a car you would need to make a border run to get another permit. Extension?????

I have been told that Congress is looking at this issue. I don't know if they have taken any action. Again, refer to Spencer

I don't know why Congress needs to look at it. INM is a federal agency and in the executive branch. The president is in charge of the executive branch so the president can tell INM to change the rules. He doesn't need Congress to do that and I don't think Congress can unless Congress plans to petition the president asking for the rules to be changed.

This was Spencers answer:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

You don't have to leave the country, just let FM3 expire, pay 2500 pesos fine, pay regularization fee of 1000 pesos as well as annual fee and if you have a car you would need to make a border run to get another permit. Extension?????

Spencer was talking about an FM3. The OP asked about a temporal.

Right, he did write "FM3" but we never had to leave the country to get an FM3 so he must have meant temporal and in September 2013 there were no FM3s.

Right, he did write "FM3" but we never had to leave the country to get an FM3 so he must have meant temporal and in September 2013 there were no FM3s.

There were FM3s in September 2013. There were no more FM3s after Nov. 11th 2013. One year since Residente Temporals were issued instead of FM3s.

There were FM3s in September 2013. There were no more FM3s after Nov. 11th 2013. One year since Residente Temporals were issued instead of FM3s.

I renewed mine in January of 2013 and it was a temporal, not an FM3. The new rules were published in Nov. 2012. Nov. 11th 2013 would have been 3 months ago.

I renewed mine in January of 2013 and it was a temporal, not an FM3. The new rules were published in Nov. 2012. Nov. 11th 2013 would have been 3 months ago.

But people who renewed their FM3s before Nov.11th, 2012 recieved a 1 year renewal FM3 not a Residente Temporal like you did and I did after Nov. 11th 2012. So some people did have FM3s in Sept. 2013. No one had any FM3s in Nov. 11th. of 2013 and beyond.

Why not make an appointment with an immigration attorney or facilitator--Spencer, Kevin, etc. and get specific advice for your specific question? Free internet advice can be very expensive. I was at Parker Ins. and had to listen to a gringa who wanted to argue (wrongly) the law on car insurance. She was quoting Spencer and I felt sorry for Spencer. Spencer is very careful about what he says but he can't control those who decide to become attorneys after reading his postings. (I happen to use Kevin and am very happy with him.)

Archived