Chapala.com Webboard

How to extend a modem's range

mexnow

I have a Telmex modem and it has been working fine for a couple of years now, and still is.

I discovered today that the reception in the furthest away room is not good enough. I am wondering if there is a device that will extend the range of our WI-FI so that the room which is experiencing poor reception can be improved. The entire house is concrete construction and running wires is a problem because of the solid walls. Is there anything on the market that will basically amplify the modems' signal so it will reach the furthest away room better without running wires?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The boosters that Telmex sells also need good line-of-sight to work well, so not very helpful. I bought a second router and ran an Ethernet cable part way to the other portion of the house out a window, along an outer wall (in PVC outside if sun hits it,) and back in another window. The dead area is covered beautifully as it's just through one wall now. You can drill a hole through the wall as well and put a piece of plastic manguera in it for the cable to run through, then seal it well against bugs and water, but if you're renting you'd have to ask first. A fontanero can run any wire you want most anywhere and it won't cost an arm and a leg either here. It's the only solution for a better signal that I know of.

My modem is still the original Infinitum one that I got with the house, it's about 6-7 years old now and it's never given me a problem....so far. I hooked a $40 US Netgear N router into it upstairs for better coverage and it works fine also.

I'm on my 4th Telmex modem. Does anyone know where I can buy a modem and what should I ask for?

TelMex doesn't sell modems anymore, and that's good, because they fail so often...usually the power supply, but particularly in the case of the Technicolor brand (Huawei being the other brand currently available new) the circuitry has a high failure rate. (I know this from visiting many, many customers, not from anything TelMex might have said.) You can buy third-party modems, but they won't work with TelMex DSL, unless you are a networking whiz, and I do mean whiz.

ASIDE: a lot of the previous versions of TelMex modems have been refurbished, and while they work, note that they do not employ the currently available "n" type wireless, but only "b" and "g". "N" is four times the strength and distance (theoretically), and all newer gadgets use it. Some older gadgets, even though all types are compatible, have a very difficult time hooking up wirelessly. So make sure if you trade in your modem you get a new one (the two brands above): check the WIFI sticker for the letter "n".

I have a WiFi Range Extender for sale if that is any help to you. It is an Amped Wireless SR10000 600mW 802.11 b/g/n which is still "New In Box". I bought it about a year ago at Tiger Direct and brought it down for the casa. Set it up and it worked great but we decided to hard wire instead to solve our problem. PM me if interested - $1,000 MX

main_image.png

I have a Telmex Thomson modem that I got from Telmex quite a few years ago that has one antenna, perhaps 4 inches long. I guess I got it in the days when Telmex had higher quality wireless modems. Because I have never had any bad luck with it.

Yes, sure, I've had to reset it.

I have no idea what the new modems are like other than folks are often complaining about them. I live close to the Ajijic Telmex (1.1 Km), pay $599+ per month and get what I'm paying for.

3280274063.png

And I'm measuring this with a wireless connection.

I found the best way to extend the coverage was locate the modem in the middle of the area I wanted to cover. And it does what I want it to do. You might also check out some Google search results for extending your range. They have some great ideas to include building a reflector behind your wireless device, sort of like a very small satellite dish, to focus the more of the signal in the direction you want.

In the States I have used a small white plug in box called ZyXEL. You go to the farthest place that you have good reception and plug it in and get it to talk with your modem. It then re-transmits the signal and you can log onto it. It will slow down your speed a little, but you will have a clear signal quite a bit farther and therefore a greater effective speed.

I have a Telmex Thomson modem that I got from Telmex quite a few years ago that has one antenna, perhaps 4 inches long. I guess I got it in the days when Telmex had higher quality wireless modems. Because I have never had any bad luck with it.

Yes, sure, I've had to reset it.

I have no idea what the new modems are like other than folks are often complaining about them. I live close to the Ajijic Telmex (1.1 Km), pay $599+ per month and get what I'm paying for.

3280274063.png

And I'm measuring this with a wireless connection.

I found the best way to extend the coverage was locate the modem in the middle of the area I wanted to cover. And it does what I want it to do. You might also check out some Google search results for extending your range. They have some great ideas to include building a reflector behind your wireless device, sort of like a very small satellite dish, to focus the more of the signal in the direction you want.

Gee, Pete..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3280844661.png

If you can get someone in the US to get to a Best Buy or go online and order a cordless wi-fi booster/extender. D-Link has one (model DAP-1320) for $66.00 also Net Gear has theirs (WN1000RP-100NAS) for $40.00. These plug into your electrical outlet near the area you want to extend your wi-fi signal..NO wiring or cable connections needed..Easy and they work..

The WN1000RP is perhaps $30 cheaper than the WN3000RP, which offers the advantage of higher throughput capability and an ethernet port, which can be used in those cases where you want to wire your modem to your extender for more strength. Also I imagine those two antennas help.

Computer guy is correct in his post. Both Mfg.,s mentioned have several models with different thru-put speeds, some wired and others wireless.My mind was was fixated on only wireless models due to my application and my homes non-accessibility for running cable to a additional router. The model you choose doesn't need to be a significantly higher thruput capacity than the internet speed that you have as your input from either cable or telmex. My post was only meant to enlighten those interested that there are other methods available for gaining internet signals some distance from their modem/router than the amplifiers that Telmex sells but seldom if ever has in stock plus with the Telmex amps you need a almost unobstructed line of sight to gain maximum efficiency versus the "plug in's" using your exhisting home electrical wiring to carry the signal..

The boosters that Telmex sells also need good line-of-sight to work well, so not very helpful. I bought a second router and ran an Ethernet cable part way to the other portion of the house out a window, along an outer wall (in PVC outside if sun hits it,) and back in another window. The dead area is covered beautifully as it's just through one wall now. You can drill a hole through the wall as well and put a piece of plastic manguera in it for the cable to run through, then seal it well against bugs and water, but if you're renting you'd have to ask first. A fontanero can run any wire you want most anywhere and it won't cost an arm and a leg either here. It's the only solution for a better signal that I know of.

My modem is still the original Infinitum one that I got with the house, it's about 6-7 years old now and it's never given me a problem....so far. I hooked a $40 US Netgear N router into it upstairs for better coverage and it works fine also.

Why do you say "along an outer wall (in PVC outside if sun hits it,)". I'm thinking or running a long ethernet cable that will be in the sun for about 2 meters and wonder why it needs protection. If it does what else would work besides PVC?

We have about 100 feet of it going across our roof and it has been there for many years with no problems. It does get painted over when the house gets painted, I suspect. We did not use conduit of any kind.

It is also a simple matter to drill through either ceiling or walls, where necessary, using a masonry bit and an electric drill.

If you are not up to the task, any electrician can install the cable for you. It is much more effective than trying to get WIFI to punch through this construction.

Your electrician will need to know how to hook up the RJ45 cable connectors on both ends after the drilling. And RV is right; it's pretty easy and I've actually had the regular RJ45 cable outside exposed to the elements for years with no apparent wear, although if you can find the good stuff, why not?

A friend is using the Dlink Powerline system and it works very well. You plug the transmitter into a wall socket somewhere near the modem (good line of sight) then plug the secondary transmitter into a wall socket in the area where you need better reception. There is a quick little procedure to get them talking to one another and then everythingI seems to work perfectly.

Your electrician will need to know how to hook up the RJ45 cable connectors on both ends after the drilling. And RV is right; it's pretty easy and I've actually had the regular RJ45 cable outside exposed to the elements for years with no apparent wear, although if you can find the good stuff, why not?

Actually, I had the long cable made up locally, with ends attached, and simply drilled holes large enough to pass the plugs through. A few squirts of caulk, some cemento blanco and paint, and the job was done.

If one is worried about a rental property, the landlord would probably allow such an installation if you agreed to leave it, or to patch & fill if you removed the cable; whichever he wished.

That works, but two things: difficult to truly measure the distance sometimes, allowing for extra play at both ends, especially if your guy has just a roll of cable (I've seen even the best measurers come up short); and for me, anyway, the smaller the hole the easier the patching.

Archived