Chapala.com Webboard

Pain management doc referral

Serenity6

Can the level I and II medications be bought locally or must the patient go to Guadalajara?

II can easily be found locally.

I depends on what it is. Sometimes it can be found here locally, sometimes not. If there is something you need, arrangements can be made by some local pharmacies to have it stocked here.

It is my understanding that Mexico like in the U.S. makes it a criminal offense to obtain controlled substances without a legal prescription. Your friend could be looking at arrest if he is discovered.

I think if I must obtain a controlled substance for pain I will go through the legal channels and not even attempt to buy them on my own. I'm sure there is an illegal street market here just like there is in the U.S. but I don't think it is worth the chance of being caught.

I don't know where my comment indicated anything about getting medication illegally. If you re-read it it says, "....LEGALLY obtained the meds on his own". Right?

I don't know where my comment indicated anything about getting medication illegally. If you re-read it it says, "....LEGALLY obtained the meds on his own". Right?

So what is the big deal with the description of his education level? All you need to write is, " I know someone who gets morphine legally." Whether a person appears intelligent or educated doesn't make a difference.

Serenity, I just went through the pain meds ordeal. I was flying back and forth to Florida every 6 months to get Buprenorphine, which I have been taking for nearly 10 years. They would give 6 month refills which I had mailed to me in Mexico, with no problems!! But, like most states, the laws have changed, and doctors require at least 3 month consults before they issue scripts. This would cost me a fortune to fly every 3 months.

Good new sis that they have Buprenorphine here in Mexico, trade name is Temegesic, and you need a script to get it, which any doctor can do. Problem is that it runs about $400 pesos for 10 tablets. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. Even if you can get it from NOB. It doesn't have the side effects that the other struff has, and I think it really works great for pain!!

I have double sciatica, two bulged discs and one compressed, and my pain has really shot up since November. I take Temegesic, 30 mg of Ketorolaco, and 300 mg 3 times a day of Gabapentina and this gets me by until I see my Florida neurosurgeon in April. Mexico surgery will run me $150,000 pesos. I have U.S. insurance, so it will be cheaper in FLA.

Thanks for the info from all other readers. I will be contacting the Institute for pain.

Good luck and blessings SERENITY, pain is no fun!!

Sarge, I am so sorry for your pain. Thank you for the info! I had a hemangioma in T9 that exploded inside the vertebrae. None of the silicon valley docs believed me when it all started at the age of 28, so for nine years I was bedridden, daily contemplating suicide from the pain. Surgery in France saved my life, but all the wrong surgeries and radiation by the geniuses in silicon valley have caused permanent muscle and nerve damage.

I did find one doc here that was able to get methadone, but it was about $300 US for a one month supply! I'll look into your suggestion. It is terrible being in debilitating chronic pain and the only meds that help cost an absolute fortune.

Good luck with your healing. I sincerely hope things improve for you.

Current prices for methadona depend upon the dosage. For 100 5mg tablets is it 534 pesos and for 100 of the 40 mg tablets it is 2750. These are the current prices as of today. I was at the farmacia today picking up for a patient, there seems to be no shortage as is so often reported here lakeside.

• 2 years later...

Hola again,   I have not been on this site in while. But, just wanted to add an update. I did go to the U.S. and had my back surgery last November. It was a success and relived most of my pain. Before heading north, I was taken the Methadone and it was a big help. I continue to take the Methadone since my pain will never go away completely. I can say that Methadone is the best pain reliever that I have found. But, as you may know, it is impossible to find in Mexico at this time. I hope Serenity has found relief. And does anyone know what happened to the Methadone?

Sarge, good to hear from you!  I am so thrilled your surgery was a success!  I hope maybe a miracle will happen, your pain will reduce (I know it likely will never go away), and you can maybe even eliminate opiate meds and start enjoying life again! Wonderful news!

Even if you need the methadone forever, your surgery was still a success. And as long as methadone works for you and you can sleep, function and enjoy a reasonable quality of life, then this is still a great improvement.

For me also, methadone is the only pain reliever that works.  Its a wonderful painkiller, very few side effects, and CHEAP! Bupe, morphine, oxycontin, percocet, even 3 patches of 300mcg of fentanyl at the same time did barely anything for me. But methadone? Saved me from jumping off a building.

And...Mexico has been out of methadone for months and they have no idea when they will get it.  They are missing an ingredient and so methadone patients are SOL.  I just paid 8,000 pesos for oxycontin which was about as useful as M&Ms (but without the wonderful chocolate taste).  I a ready to punch holes in the wall and pull out my hair, as T9 has collapsed, I need emergency surgery and the one pain killer that helps is not available.  So, I'm forced to leave town and fly to the US where I fear what happened to you (will not get a script on the spot despite having 10ft worth of records proving I'm not some junkie; then a pharmacy will just refuse to fill it due to the ridiculous new DEA/CDC "guidelines") will happen to me.  Not sure if surgery can help or if its even possible, but cannot live like this.

Its great to hear some good news from a pain patient for a change. Genuinely so happy it is working out for you. Take it easy, do your PT, and I hope you can have a much higher quality of life once again!!!

When I was in the U.S. for my surgery, I was with my father who has been taking oxycontin for over 15 years. He came with me to Florida where I had my surgery. We had a prescription for him to fill, as he had done for years when he stays in FLorida. We had a very difficult time finding the drug. All the pharmacies that he used to get his meds, all had the same answer; they never know when they will get a shipment and they would not accept phone calls or even hold his prescription. We had to visit the pharmacy daily. It was very frustrating. I don't know how people can live like that. 

I wish you luck when you go north. It will be a battle. The suffering are the ones paying the price for those that abuse the system. Best of luck to you.

Archived