Chapala.com Webboard

Did This Just REALLY Happen???

EX-PAT2011

This morning I was heading east and made a turn without having the green arrow at the red light at Wal-Mart.

Lo n behold one of those "Poilica Vial" white pick ups nabbed me at the Pemex on the Libremento. He asked for my license and car paperwork. Also, he asked me if I spoke Spanish, to which I answered "un poco" When I handed him my Mexican driver's license, he seemed happy that I had it. He walked only to the back of my car for less than a minute. He came back and lectured me on what I did wrong and if I had my MX license I should know better. I was preparing for the worst, then it came, those two words that are very, very, very seldom heard here by us gringos. Those words are as follows: "No Ticket" I was like "HUH"? "WHAT"? No ticket, what are you talking about, no ticket? Of course there is a ticket. But, there was, indeed, no ticket, no NOTHING and you all know what I mean my that. I shook his hand and said "Muchas Gracias" to which he replied "Have a good day". A feeling of euphoria filled my senses and my wife and I just looked at each other and asked "What just happened"? I replied "What just happened was 'The Miracle on the Libremento' and it was, it really was. We realized how lucky we were and I felt it necessary to post this just to prove that it can happen.

Thank you officer for whatever reason you found no to ticket us. It is really appreciated more than you can know.

You can only turn left there when you are going east when you have the green arrow. No turning left on the green light.

Last year we were stopped in Chapala for no front license plate. 2 officers walked up and explained what was wrong and that there would be a ticket. Then the young officer asked if we wanted to pay him so we didn't have to go to town to pay. We said no thank you we'll pay it ourselves. He smiled really big and looked at the older man who said-You did the right thing, thank you and have a nice day and put the plate on when you get home. We about passed out, apparently it was a training session. And there was no ticket. I believe at least some of the officers are trying to change things.

It's a dangerous intersection. (Saw the aftermath of an accident there yesterday that involved a motorcycle and an ambulance and a tow-truck and ....etc.) It could have been really horrible, but I heard from the wife of the tow-truck driver it wasn't as serious as it looked. She told me an "Americano" was involved.

At the very, very least, everybody needs to know the local laws regarding that spot for their own, and everybody else's, safety.

Seems to me that the only bad cop posts I've seen on here involved a single particular motorcycle cop.

Nice to hear kudos for the cops for a change. Still, please learn the rules of Mexican driving and please drive defensively and safely.

You mean after the fact, right? I am having an "Ontario" image made into a plate for the front of mine, just to keep things on an even keel, too. My original was stolen.

It could just be a plain white(out) plate with the words Ontario. ;)

I got one that trumps you all! When we first moved here, and were confused by the new roads, heading towards Walmart, the La Floresta glorieta - I had never seen this before (in Puerto Vallarta the far right lane turns left - sometimes) and proceeded to turn left, right off the Carretera. I now know the routine - the light changed to red and who should be stopped at the light but two Transitos in a truck. I am waiting, left signal blinking, glancing at the none too obvious sign intructions, and they are kind of laughing - then the light turned green, and they waved me to make the turn before they started! No ticket, no stop, no explanation - they recognised that lost tourist look!

Archived